The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
emil77

Let's talk exhausts.

I guess the next project is to make Betsy sound better. My exhaust pipes are showing alot of rust. I was reading thru some of the past threads here and I'm kinda confused and have some questions.

1) With my older engine, will a new exhaust sound good?

2) I want to have the dual exhaust exit out under the rear bumper, that won't be a problem, right? The shop can just go straight back instead of the stock exit's behind the rear wheels?

3) Do I need a X or H pipe modification done?

4) Should I have everything welded in?

5) Now the age old question: Which exhaust? I had Magnaflows on my Dodge 1500, loved the sound of them. I don't want Flowmasters. LMC sells a Magnaflow kit for $579, price will be more with oversize shipping. I don't want to spend that much. Some previous threads suggested going to an exhaust shop and having them make one for me. I want a nice deep ruble, I don't want to have a headache from the exhaust

6) Any other suggestions I would appreciate.

Last edited by emil77; 05-23-2011 at 10:21 PM.
emil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
emil77

Re: Let's talk exhausts.

Btt.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
chopnchaneled

Subcribed !
chopnchaneled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
jamesi20

You can get the magnaflow kit here with free shipping...I got it and love the sound.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15894/
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
chopnchaneled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesi20 View Post
You can get the magnaflow kit here with free shipping...I got it and love the sound.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15894/
What year is your truck and did you have to modify it much?
cause i didn't see it listed for anything but elcamino,chevelle etc.
Thanks
chopnchaneled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
jjtackleberry

I would like answers to all his questions..as well...he beat me to it

It's all a matter of perception
jjtackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil77 View Post
I guess the next project is to make Betsy sound better. My exhaust pipes are showing alot of rust. I was reading thru some of the past threads here and I'm kinda confused and have some questions.

1) With my older engine, will a new exhaust sound good?

2) I want to have the dual exhaust exit out under the rear bumper, that won't be a problem, right? The shop can just go straight back instead of the stock exit's behind the rear wheels?

3) Do I need a X or H pipe modification done?

4) Should I have everything welded in?

5) Now the age old question: Which exhaust? I don't want to spend that much. Some previous threads suggested going to an exhaust shop and having them make one for me. I want a nice deep ruble, I don't want to have a headache from the exhaust

6) Any other suggestions I would appreciate.
1) Yes, it will sound great!!
1A) What type of engine do you have? 283, 350, 400, 454?
1B) is it stock? has it been modified at all?
1C) Headers? Stock manifolds?

2) Shouldn't be a problem for any decent exhaust shop to run your exhaust to the rear bumper.

3) Depends. To me it's always been; higher the horsepower the better off having an X or H pipe section. I have a stock GMPP 350, so I chose not to do one.

4) My system is welded, but I'm using Stainless Steel, so I've reduced my Rust factor. Pros and Cons on both sides of this issue.

5) That's all up to you. I had a shop do mine, cause, again, I'm using SS. It really depends on what YOU want and what you've budgeted for.

6) Research all the video/audio you can from the web.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
emil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post
1) Yes, it will sound great!!
1A) What type of engine do you have? 283, 350, 400, 454?
1B) is it stock? has it been modified at all?
1C) Headers? Stock manifolds?

2) Shouldn't be a problem for any decent exhaust shop to run your exhaust to the rear bumper.

3) Depends. To me it's always been; higher the horsepower the better off having an X or H pipe section. I have a stock GMPP 350, so I chose not to do one.

4) My system is welded, but I'm using Stainless Steel, so I've reduced my Rust factor. Pros and Cons on both sides of this issue.

5) That's all up to you. I had a shop do mine, cause, again, I'm using SS. It really depends on what YOU want and what you've budgeted for.

6) Research all the video/audio you can from the web.
1a) 350 engine.
1b) I haven't modified it, but on the valve covers it says "Crower Racing Cams."

If I go to a shop and have them do an exhaust, how will I know if it will sound good? I just want to avoid the exhaust having an annoying sound which will give me headaches.

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil77 View Post
1a) 350 engine.
1b) I haven't modified it, but on the valve covers it says "Crower Racing Cams."
If I go to a shop and have them do an exhaust, how will I know if it will sound good? I just want to avoid the exhaust having an annoying sound which will give me headaches.

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming!
So, it sounds like you bought it this way, right? If that's the case, does it have Headers or stock manifolds? Reason this is important is because if you have Headers whatever muffler you choose will sound louder, due to the more free flowing Headers.
And, if you have stock manifolds, then you can get away with a little more aggressive type muffler, BUT....you keep saying you don't want "headaches", so on that note (pun intended), I would recommend a standard turbo-type muffler you can get at any auto store.
Before I chose my Hooker Aerochambers I did a ton of On-line research. I had stock manifolds when I had the system built, so they sounded great, but once I put the Headers on....WOW!!
My truck went from a "That's nice" to "Your truck sounds NICE!!".
As I said before, do some online research, go to shows/cruise-ins and if you hear something you like ask what they're using, but most importantly, it really depends on what you want it to sound like.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary

Last edited by 96blazr; 05-25-2011 at 09:27 AM.
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I'd have an exhaust shop do it so they can run the exhaust through the crossmembers.
how it's going to sound depends as muh on the engine as it does the exhaust.
headers and x/h pipe are for the high performance guys.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Low & Slow

Im confused. I bought a muffler for my project and had a shop weld up custom pipes for $175 including hangers and a resonator.

$600 seems steep. I'm new to trucks so maybe I am overlooking something.
Low & Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
TrkEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low & Slow View Post
Im confused. I bought a muffler for my project and had a shop weld up custom pipes for $175 including hangers and a resonator.

$600 seems steep. I'm new to trucks so maybe I am overlooking something.
There is a big price difference between aluminized steel and 409 or 304 stainless steel. Maybe the 600 neighborhood he was talking about was a stainless one.
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
brad_man_72
the boat guy

if you go to a shop you can have them test fit and run the truck w different mufflers. I'd definitely make an appointment for something that time consuming. I'm sure if you took up a rack half the day on a sat it would cost more than on a monday. Look for a shop that specializes in hot rods, they will be more likely to understand the need for your truck to sound just right. Might want to bring a few pizzas also anything helps when your more of a pita than their normal customer.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
SCOTI

The $600 'kit' might also feature mandrel bends vs. typical exhaust shop pipe bending (mandrel = consistent ID of the pipe in bends vs. tubing bends which will partially collapse).

I would buy the mufflers you want/like & leave the pipe to the muffler shop that does the install (if the slight reduction in ID on the bends isn't of consequence). Stock-ish 350's won't see a dramatic power difference. The cross-over (x-pipe; h-pipe) helps tone the exhaust note down slightly @ cruise speeds.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
jamesi20

The magnaflow kit is stainless and it is mandrel bent and has a true x-pipe.My truck is a 70 with a 350/350.The only real fit problem that I had was I notched the trans. crossmember to get the pipes up and out of sight.With the style of clamps they give you I didn't feel the need to weld the pipes.If you have minimal skills,this is an easy install.When you call summit racing,tell them what your truck is and they will get you the right kit.If I remember correctly,they were actually shipped from magnaflow.The front pipes are long,you will probably have to cut some off of them,and my truck also has headers,which also made the install a little easier.
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #16
emil77

I'm going to be taking the truck in for an alignment on Saturday, the place I'm going to also does exhausts, so I'll ask them what options I have also.

Great info, keep it coming.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
emil77

Great info, thanks guys. So you guys are saying I can buy the Magnaflow muffler and have a shop do the pipes? If so, do you guys think that will be a cheaper route? Does anybody know if I can buy the muffler that's in this kit separate? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15894/
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
AustinScott

I just went thru my install, Its what I wanted.... a tab bit different than what you are looking for but the same concept. I bought the mufflers & had a shop do the piping.
check out the install thread
spinTech install thread link
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #19
emil77

Thanks for the info, nice sounds!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #20
treveiger

what's the average on a custom dual pipe job for our trucks?

Last edited by treveiger; 05-25-2011 at 10:34 PM.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
AustinScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
what's the average on a custom dual pipe job for our trucks?
Mine was $200.00, with an H-pipe. Mine does exit before the rear tires, but the shop who did it said it was $200.00 flat not matter what I wanted done, with the exception of stainless and mandrel bent tubing.
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote