The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Thoughts on MSD E-Curve

Looking at getting the MSD Ignition 8394 Digital E-Curve Dizzy for my Vortec 355.

Anybody had any positive or negative experiences with this dizzy or MSD in general? The only Cons I have read of are: price and poor installation / setup instructions.

Linky to da Dizzy....
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
RustenPaines

Re: Thoughts on MSD E-Curve

Well it looks pretty slick. Does not seem too complicated to install. If I had not already purchased a new billet MSD Dizzy I might give it a try.

RC Crawler Nut
http://www.dorkstarproductions.com/orcrc.com/forum/
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have the MSD Pro Billet HEI in mine, and I love it. If the E curve was available at the time I would have bought it. I got my Pro Billet before the E curve was out.

Every iginiton component in all my rigs have MSD stuff. Been usin' their products for years with no issues.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
oldspowered67C10

I like it, very tunable. Gives you all the adjustments you'd ever need on a street car and changing settings couldn't be easier. Might be a bit easy to get lost in the adjustments though. I have the MSD ready-to-run billet distributor(external coil, electronic ignition, mechanical advance) and its a quality piece. It comes with a variety of weights/springs and when checked against a timing light they are dead on what they say the advance is going to be. I like mine but that one is only 100 dollars more and has some cool features like a rev limiter and start-retard so if I had to do it all over again Id get that one. I'm not too clear how the vacuum advance works, I'm assuming its just a vacuum can.

My only concern with those type of distributors is parts. If it craps out on you on a Sunday there's no way you gonna get it running again that day. But finding a original one that has the exact advance curve you want is damn near impossible and having one re curved is a tedious process so its a chance worth taking.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote