The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
glider_6969

Unhappy power steer gear box

Hi all,

have a problem, the seal in the gear box is leaking bad and I need to replace it, anyone here replaced theirs. Can I get this seal alone or is there a rebuild kit that I would have to get, any help would be great, hopefully the pic I post is visible.
Name:  gear box leak.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  46.5 KB
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: power steer gear box

The seals are available as a kit from NAPA.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Good info. Mine is setting on the bench at my sons' house....so I'll be checking it out before it gets painted and goes back onto the chassis.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Just replaced mine a few weeks ago. It's not hard to do with the right tools.

I removed the gear box on mine since I had to replace the steering shaft seal and the pitman shaft seal on mine. The biggest problem you will encounter is removing the old seals. They're recessed into the shaft and you can't reach them with a simple seal puller.

There's a lot of info on youtube and the internet. Google "pitman shaft seal replacement" and read or view first so you can get an idea of the tools you need and what you will have to do.

example:
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Katrina/10

I was told to crank the engine with the snap ring removed from the seal, and steer back and forth till pressure blows the seal out. Works great but makes a big mess.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Autoblueprint

Lightbulb Re: power steer gear box

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider_6969 View Post
Hi all,

have a problem, the seal in the gear box is leaking bad and I need to replace it, anyone here replaced theirs. Can I get this seal alone or is there a rebuild kit that I would have to get, any help would be great, hopefully the pic I post is visible.
Seal kits are available but you need special Kent Moore tool # J-6219 Pitman Shaft Seal Installer to put 'em back in. A thin wall deep socket MIGHT work as a seal installer...Snap-On has the seal installer tool...but of course...it is not cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
I was told to crank the engine with the snap ring removed from the seal, and steer back and forth till pressure blows the seal out. Works great but makes a big mess.
Yep. Remove Pitman Arm ( requires special tool J-6632 Pitman Arm Puller but I believe some parts houses rent these out ) then remove snap-ring...then place big pan below...then turn steering to full left or right lock and those seals just blow right out.

You might be better off just to just replace the box with a reman unit...if the shaft seals are leaking then probably the other seals inside are not too far off from being done either.

Whichever way you go...make sure you use GM power steering fluid...the GM fluid is CLEAR not RED. Contrary to popular belief, transmission fluid IS NOT a substitute for power steering fluid...tranny fluid makes the power steering rubber disolve and thus you have leaks and poor performance...spend the extra couple of bucks for the GM fluid and you will have happy days.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
leddzepp

I have used Dexron transmission fluid for years in both of my trucks' power steering units, never had a problem or leak because of it. It even says to use transmission fluid on the reservoir cap on my remote big block setup. If transmission fluid would cause a seal to leak in a power steering unit, would it not cause a leak in the transmission as well? Is there some kind of special rubber used in steering box seals only?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Autoblueprint

Post Re: power steer gear box

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Is there some kind of special rubber used in steering box seals only?
A little mechanical trivia:

There are teflon seals on the spool valve that don't like the detergent in tranny fluid. Back when I was working in Cadillac dealerships, the dealer sent us techs to the GM Training Center to attend classes to keep our skills updated...and in the steering courses the GM engineers teaching made it a point that GM P/S fluid has different properties that work more efficiently with the heat and pressures found in P/S systems than tranny fluid does. The most obvious difference I have found with using GM P/S fluid in my own vehicle is that there is not that funky smell that tranny fluid has when it is used in a P/S system. The other thing I've noticed is that I don't have any more "sweating" of fluid at pressure connections like I experienced before I switched to the GM fluid. Bottom line is that the GM engineers really did not say "don't" use tranny fluid but rather strongly recommened that we use the GM P/S fluid.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
leddzepp

interesting...if i ever develop any problems i will definitely switch to gm power steering fluid. i had a problem once with the reservoir hose sweating a long time ago...but that is because the po used a heater hose, lol. i switched to a proper hydraulic hose and the problem was solved.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
glider_6969

Thanks for all the input guys,, Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a big mess, but then again I have had to do worse.