The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
DT1

How Anal Retentive are you about your truck?

I don't know about you people but I can't drop the smallest detail about my truck. If something isn't quite right I often find myself losing sleep over it.
The number one thing that absolutely drives me up a wall is a leak. It can be any kind of leak at all and I'll do almost anything to fix it. Last month I had an oil leak and I just couldn't locate the source. It was only a drop a day but it bothered me so much I pulled the engine and put it on the stand to fix. After going through everything that could possibly cause it, I was satisfied and re installed. I drove the truck for a while and went to bed happy. The next day, I noticed a small drop of oil on the garage floor. Arrrrg!. Come to find out, it was the flared connection for the oil pressure gauge. I checked it a few times but the leak was so small, I just couldn't see it.
Am I the only one that has this affliction? My wife says it's not healthy. I don't care. If it's not right, It has to be fixed now.
Maybe I'm sick. Does anybody else do this??
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: How Anal Retentive are you about your truck?

You mean there's a word to define this madness? My truck didn't "look right" so my son and I tore it down to the last bolt and nut...is that what you meant?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

No, I'm too busy to sweat small stuff. I take care of the major stuff, but I have a lot of old trucks and cars, and if I was that way about all of them, I would not enjoy driving and owning them. These are 40+ year old vehicles and little issues are just part of the game. These old engines had little leaks and such pretty much starting not long after they were new. You won't find a SBC (one with a 2 piece rear main and perimeter bolt style heads) that is original that won't have or have had a small leak of some kind. Now if I can easily tell where a leak is coming from, I'll fix it, but I several that have a very slight main leak. I'm not pulling the engine out everytime that happens!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

That word is undoubtedly "phsycotruckaddictamania"
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

DT1.... we need to swap trucks for awhile. That way my tired old workhorse will be lavished with attention while I enjoy driving a truck that's in perfect condition!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
That word is undoubtedly "phsycotruckaddictamania"
Can I use that? I want to make a bumper sticker. The only problem is...I just can't put it on my bumper.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Can I use that? I want to make a bumper sticker. The only problem is...I just can't put it on my bumper.
LOL - Nice!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Me Neither.
Cosmetic stuff (dents) bug me, but my truck has to be in PERFECT mechanical condition with no rust. I started with a small power steering leak and ended up with a 383, 700R4, rebuilt transfer case, rebuilt axles, new drive lines, lift kit, (etc).
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
treveiger

I get kinda picky, like when the PO only installed only one motor mount, no bolt in the harmonic balancer, plugs in finger tight, only tightened two bolts on the starter, loose frayed wire on the starter, exaughst not bolted on tight, dizzy not installed correctly, reverse light not plugged in, heater switch broken an not fixed, bed liner not prepped properly so you can guess what happened there, put only one screw in each of the reverse light covers because there were on the wrong side, and lot of bolts not correct on where they were installed or just completely missing, and these are just to name the top of my head. I guess I'm probably a little picky an figured I would be able to hold him to a better standard sense he was a professional autobody guy that tought a class in Wyoming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
I get kinda picky, like when the PO only installed only one motor mount, no bolt in the harmonic balancer, plugs in finger tight, only tightened two bolts on the starter, loose frayed wire on the starter, exaughst not bolted on tight, dizzy not installed correctly, reverse light not plugged in, heater switch broken an not fixed, bed liner not prepped properly so you can guess what happened there, put only one screw in each of the reverse light covers because there were on the wrong side, and lot of bolts not correct on where they were installed or just completely missing, and these are just to name the top of my head. I guess I'm probably a little picky an figured I would be able to hold him to a better standard sense he was a professional autobody guy that tought a class in Wyoming.
Posted via Mobile Device
If it wasn't for PO's. We would probably have nothing to rant about. I actually get a big kick out of seeing just what some people call good after inflicting repairs!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
pumpgas

Actually there is only 1 real thing on a older chevy engine that drives me up a wall.......and that would be the dist installed incorrectly.
69' Chevy short step carbed 6.0 w/400th trans. Completed w/325 miles on it
pumpgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
treveiger

Quote:
If it wasn't for PO's. We would probably have nothing to rant about. I actually get a big kick out of seeing just what some people call good after inflicting repairs!
Ya exactly and when its done you know its done right. And I've learned a lot, the next old car that I buy the seller will hate me because I'm gona go through everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgas View Post
Actually there is only 1 real thing on a older chevy engine that drives me up a wall.......and that would be the dist installed incorrectly.
Ya exactly just goes to show if you aren't willing to make it look right you but as long as it runs you don't care what else are you willing to "let slide" all rubber fuel lines? Mixed lug nuts? Rubber power steering hose because it was kinked? just to name a few more...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Daddy Brim

No you are not the only one. It's all in the details it has to be just so. O.C.D. my friend it can be a curse or it can be very productive.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
pat 70/71

Oh, I'm all there!! can't let the smallest thing go on our trucks. I think I'm truck redictarded/ redonkulious/ and having a lot of fun with all three trucks at the same time! cheers, Pat (not trying to offend anyone)
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
72peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Brim View Post
No you are not the only one. It's all in the details it has to be just so. O.C.D. my friend it can be a curse or it can be very productive.
Yea, that would be C.D.O. because you have to put the letters in the right order.
72peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
RagingAsian

I am pretty AR, but not to the point where id pull an engine out for a leak. I do lose sleep over a leak but usually if its a minor leak, I'll watch it very carefully and keep the fuilds full.

First thing that happens when I get my paycheck is I make sure that my Honda and my 68 chevy are in fine running shape, if they have a problem, I fix it. cant make money if you dont have wheels.

But i only use factory parts, and on my Honda, its expensive. on my 68 chevy truck, its super expensive, but well worth it. No reproduction stuff for me.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
I don't know about you people but I can't drop the smallest detail about my truck. If something isn't quite right I often find myself losing sleep over it.
The number one thing that absolutely drives me up a wall is a leak. It can be any kind of leak at all and I'll do almost anything to fix it. Last month I had an oil leak and I just couldn't locate the source. It was only a drop a day but it bothered me so much I pulled the engine and put it on the stand to fix. After going through everything that could possibly cause it, I was satisfied and re installed. I drove the truck for a while and went to bed happy. The next day, I noticed a small drop of oil on the garage floor. Arrrrg!. Come to find out, it was the flared connection for the oil pressure gauge. I checked it a few times but the leak was so small, I just couldn't see it.
Am I the only one that has this affliction? My wife says it's not healthy. I don't care. If it's not right, It has to be fixed now.
Maybe I'm sick. Does anybody else do this??
Wow, I thought I was super picky before I read this. Now I realize I'm just a lazy bum!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #18
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

my truck leaks oil someone come fix it for me

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You have no idea how obsessed I am with having one mechanically perfect. Paint and body, or interior, I'm basically indifferent to. But mechanically, it must be perfect. I don't mean good and leak free, I mean perfect. I realized this a few years ago when I spent several days rebuilding and powdercoating a granny 4 speed. I even ordered new bolts from McMaster Carr for it because I couldn't find any locally that I liked (stainless). All for a Sm465 clunky old granny 4 speed that no one would ever be able to see under the (lowered) truck.

I've also removed a factory wire harness and modified it with new Packard brand GM spec and colored wire just to make it lay on the engine compartment better than the factory designed it to.

Here is a day of my life spent just because I wanted a nice looking alternator. I give you exhibit "A"...

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 07-04-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
vectorit
What?

I have gotten over it for the most part.
Now, that is not to say I am no longer AR about stuff on my truck.

In the past, I was so bad that I wouldn't take my burb out unless it was complete and perfect OEM spec.

Now, I run it around every chance I get. Paint chips, oil drips, and electrical bugs and all.

I found that being so AR and perfectionist about things, one loses site of why they are actually doing what they do. To have fun, enjoy, and show off a bit.

Can't do any of that when the truck sits in the garage.

My family and I have always known the burb to mark it's spot where ever it goes, and mechanically so full of personality it would drive most to give up on "fixing" her.

So I just embrace all of the imperfections my burb has, just as long as she runs and drives safe while looking good for her age.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
Indyuke

Hmmm... i thought it was just me as well. After i rebuilt my front end, i spent several weeks every day after i got home from work tweaking the front end alignment to get it just perfect. Caster, camber and toe had to be perfect for proper tire wear. Handling had to be perfect. Steering wheel had to be perfectly centered on a straight road... etc.

The other day my wife and I went somewhere and one of the A/C vents broke (it caught a knee). I ground my teeth over that for about 10 miles before I decided it needed to be fixed before we got home. So i went for new parts and the wife got some good time at the fabric store.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
lil hoodlum

I have quite a few tics myself that maybe border on OCD.

But number one thing for me though is:

I can't stand overheating or even if I think it might be overheating. I will just obsess over it till I fix it.

I hate burnt smells also. I will instantly get worried as soon I smell something burning. "Is that my truck?!?" Usually a few minutes will go buy and I realize it was someother heap on the road burning off something funky LOL No but seriously, I will start to get panicky! "Is that my truck?"

I hear you about the oil leaking too!! I hate that!

LOL However, I have never pulled an engine to fix a leak.

What gets me in trouble sometimes is, I hate to be in a rush when I am fixing/upgrading/beautifing something. I don't like to cut corners, though I have done it a few time only to have to go back over it later to do it proper.

Once I get started on working something, I like to just take my time cleaning everything, making sure I got to everything like I'm supposed to, and most important that I get it done.

Lets hear somemore!

Keith

Last edited by lil hoodlum; 07-04-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: ?
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
67chevy1series

hahah funny this was metioned... the other day i armor all'd my tires for the first time since i have built the truck (the rims arent permanet i want steelies) and then the gardener comes by and blows all hs weedeating all over my tires!!!!!!!! i was pissed... my sister just sarts saying "oh its just tires, your truck doesnt even run anyways." but let me ask you this, if you dont care for your truck who will? thats what i told her she didnt say anyhting anymore... i feel bad for her mustang she has... shes gonna treat it bad.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #24
pat 70/71

Also take a lot of crap for filling every spot weld on our trucks from a friend of mine who builds race cars! you know who you are(bones) cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
hahah funny this was metioned... the other day i armor all'd my tires for the first time since i have built the truck (the rims arent permanet i want steelies) and then the gardener comes by and blows all hs weedeating all over my tires!!!!!!!! i was pissed...
Now this, I can relate to! I have barked at the gardeners a few times for their lazy A leaf blow techniques. Basically just blow all dust and yard junk into my garage, turning my burb and my DD into a dust and filth covered mess while they are in a place to protect them from such garbage.

I swear, as soon as people strap on a stupid leaf blower they loose all common sense.

I told the guy, one more time - you're fired.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote