The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
83highsierra

sorry quick RANT!!!!

so im not the most familiar with motors and what not but i went to look at what i was told was a 350..... so i go and low and behold it looks like a motor and the guy gaurenteed it not to smoke or knock so i buy it..... a week later i am having a friend paint the motor and he notices a 5.0L stamped on the back of the motor needless to say its a 305. so i call the guy i bought it from and inform him its a 305 not a 350 so i politely asked him to return my money and i would return the 305 whick i already painted..... the ASSHOLE tells me its not his problem, he said theirs nothing wrong with the motor and i was just choosing to return it... what a dick... how was i supposed to know to look at the cating numbers (which i know now)...i used the rest of my budget to buy this motor and now im stuck with a 305 and no more money. what happen to good old honest people in this world everyone

sorry i just had to get off my chest
83highsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
MadManAndrew

Re: sorry quick RANT!!!!

Do you have anything where he typed or wrote or texted, etc. that it was a 350? If so, sue his ass. Pretty please.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
J Knight

Its a real shame there are people like that but there are, and one day he will get whats coming to him the engine deal will be on the books with everthing else.

With that being said its buyer beware, if you go looking for used stuff do your homework, know what you are buying or atleast take someone who does.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Goldfinger

Your not the first that's happened to a 305 and a 350 are very similar. The only tell tale sign is the casting number and that the oil filler is on the left. That guy most likely knew it was a 305 and passed it on as a 350. you could probably clean it up and make your money back or live with it. i do have to admit with a properly tuned engine a 305 has plenty of power.

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Psycho71

I'd be hot. small claims court does come to mind. No legal fees, and likely he'd refund your money before any legal action were to take place anyway. And before it went back him, I'd stamp 305 in the front of both heads so any other buyer would see it.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
83highsierra

small claims did pop into my head but in all honesty i would probably never see the money even if it was court ordered theirs no one to enforce the ruling in small claims court. so im gonna try and recoup by putting in the motor granted no problems with it and try and find a 350 block cheap and build on down the road. it while i run the 305(whick im cleaning and going through and will sell it when i find and piece together a 350). ive learned my lesson and ggod point J Knight on the buyer beware . learn from my lesson
Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
88Jimmy4x4

That really sucks....and I agree with you, just chalk this up to lessons learned and move on. Same thing almost happened to me but I checked the casting number first.
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
grs

I said years ago. If you want to find a liar find some one selling a car. People will lie about any thing when it comes to money.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
f.monroe

I have always went the extra mile to make sure I sell things as represented. I would have given you your money back if I sold something that was not as represented. He sounds like he knew it was not a 350 and is a true Richard Cranium(think about it) based on his response. I could not let that go. I would definitely exact revenge even if it is a small victory. I am not a religious person but I do like the "eye for an eye" thing. Hopefully it works out well for you and his next engine seizes up .
Frank
Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
I have always went the extra mile to make sure I sell things as represented. I would have given you your money back if I sold something that was not as represented.
f.monroe, I read you sport bumper sale thread and I do believe your a man of your word. One of the few now-a-days.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
f.monroe

Over the years I have sold 3 nice original trucks , one 45,xxx orig mile 67 Gold/gold Impala, a couple first gen Camaros, and a 70 SS396 Red/Red 4 speed Chevelle to out of state buyers. I have tried to under sell them so that the owners were happily surprised when they took delivery or picked them up in person. I just think a person should have a good sense of pride when taking ownership of a vehicle or even a $10 part. I think that it is its own reward and my word is the only thing I have when dealing with someone that has never met me . I wish it actually counted for more like it used to. My father in laws word is as good as it gets and he recently had his reputation cover for him . He bought a new 2011 Chevy 2500 extended cab and wrote a 30k plus check for it. Forgot to transfer funds from one bank to another but the banker knows his reputation. It was a week or two when it hit him. He called the bank and was told that the bank owner said to cover the check. My f-i-law was told that he said to cover the check, dont bother charging an overdraft fee and he was sure the funds would appear when my father in law got around to it . I want my word to mean enough that I have that kind of respect in my community and with those I come in contact with daily and on the net. This guy that sold the bogus engine will surely NEVER know that kind of personal pride.
Frank
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
Goldfinger

Hammurabi code would seem ideal as monroe said. For revenge you could pour diesel or sugar in his gas tank. I also like the method of filling the radiator with Metamucil. A truck needs it's fiber some how

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

don't blame you for the rant
it's happened before and will happen again.....
get your self up and running and the truck will be ready for a 350 to drop in
not worth it to do some revenge like peeling across his lawn,or damaging his truck
if he had a gm engine must drive em maybe a post of his truck,as a warning for others to avoid him
I see warnings for BS and scammers on the local "free for sale adds" all the time
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
1LowToy

Just keep in mind revenge is best served up cold
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #15
pmpski_1

Sorry, I disagree on the revenge thing. Caveat Emptor. If it was something that he misrepresented and was difficult to prove otherwise I could see being upset. But it's easy enough to check the casting numbers or look over the block to see the 5.0L stamp. The internet makes doing your homework just as easy as it makes it easy to scam people.

There are a lot of good apples out there, but unless I know you, your family, and have been to the house you grew up in I'm not going to take your word for it without doing my homework.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
donut

My .02. It stinks, but when I look at a used engine I assume it's a 305. Guess I go with pmpski_1 and J Knight on this. It's easy enough to check ahead of time.

Let me guess, was it supposed to be a "vette" 350?

The seller could make it right, but he may have done the same as you, bought a 350 that turned out to be a 305. Yes, if i were in your shoes, I'd be upset. I'd be more upset if it turns out to knock like a jackhammer when you fire it up.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
sumran

I went through a similar experience. The guy made his living as a mechanic. He said the truck had a 292 and a TH350. I was primarily looking for a rolling chassis and body to rebuild and this was a runner, so I was ahead of the game. The night I went to look at the truck it was cold and I was in a hurry. Per his request, I gave the guy a $100 check as a deposit and paid him the balance of $900 the next day. When I saw the truck in the light of day, it was a 250 with an integral head and it had a 700r4.

Did I get what I was offered? Nope. Should I have noticed when I looked at the truck? Yes. That is on me. Was he a malicious guy trying to rip me off? Probably not. He was sloppy and inept and didn't care enough to get the real information. He must have lost the check, because he never cashed it. I offered to replace it or give him cash less the fee to stop payment on the check I had written. I never heard back from him. Real life is strange.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
Cherub

Yep I got the ol its a 350 number when i bought my truck. Taught me to check casting numbers when buying something.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
Stepper562

Forget small claims bro itll cost you more time and money then its worth...

Just like stated above you can clean her up and resell her but please tell people its a 305. Apparently youve experienced it first hand how much it sucks to be bsd, let's not Continenetal the cycle.

As for the guy that claimed its a 350...Phuck him!
Posted via Mobile Device
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
83highsierra

i have calmed down a bit and sent him an email because when i first bought the motor he gaurenteed it not to knock or smoke. so i wrote

me
Well the bad part is i was buying a 350 not a 305 its basically i paid for 350
and was supposed to get that abd didnt i wouldnt think their would have been a problem returning it but if i get it in and have any.problems i will let you know

he responded with
Don't worry about calling me now cause ull probly do some thing on pupose to **** it up all ur trying to do is get some thing for nothing I was trying to be nice about all of it but u r taking my kindness for weekness and it ain't going happen not this time

so i wrote

I dont plan on ruining the motor at all this is getting blown way out of
proportion im not trying to make bad blood i just assumed with theconfusion of the size it wouldnt be a problem but now that i see it is then im just gonna put it in truck anyways i needed a engine either way so im gonna put it in my truck i wouldnt compromise the engine cause i need one if theirs no problem from the drop to concrete it made then we r good but if it knock i figured you
would.honor your word im really not out to make enemys so sorry if it comes
across like i am

i really dont want to sound cocky or anything but i stand by and pride myself in my honesty and word. it kinda seems like the past 3 or 4 deals ive had ive been screwed im trying to figure out what i did

and as far as the revenge.... im not the vengeful type i feel in the end we will all be judged for what we have done and he will have to answer to the big man upstairs but thanks for all the responses
Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
J Knight

Thats just like a dirt bag to try and twist it around on you.
Hes nothin but a PEICE OF S@$& WITH ALL THE STANK ON IT!

Better luck next time bro.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 AM   #22
boogie67

I bought a 350 from a guy luckily my friend bought the compressor.I go to take the compress and there was 2 inch crack in the block it had rust around it.He told me had cranked it up and it ran great.That thing would of steamed as soon as it warmed up no way he didn't know or he never cranked up.Call him took me two days to get hold of him.He told me he couldn't give my money back cause I already had it two days I was pissed he offeed Me a 305 he told he never heard run. no choice I took it havent used it yet so hope it's good but not holding breath.sold his soul for $250
Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #23
cadillac_al

I don't know how people dare to screw over people. There are so many crazy people out there that would burn your house down.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #24
1968vetL-71

That's a pretty cheap lesson learned honestly. ALWAYS check your casting numbers, dates codes and the suffix code on engine pad. That will usually tell you exactly what it came out of!!

It does work both ways too. A few years ago I went to look at a 67 impala 396 block. Checked the #'s and codes..... turned out to be an original 67 427/435 motor. I told the seller what it was and it was worth a bit more than he stated. He told me he KNEW it came out of an impala and I was wrong. I then politely paid the guy, listed it online and made over 3k off the deal. So sometimes when your honest they still think you don't know anything.
1968 belair 2door post #s 427/385
1936 ford 5w coupe dads 1st car
1969 camaro ss (17,xxx) miles

Wanted: 69-72 suburban project, 69 camaro convertible. also any big block cars. 69-70 gto judge project.
1968vetL-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #25
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You guys already have the seller hung up and lynched.

Look at it this way, the buyer didn't know how to tell whether it was a 305 or 350. Yet you all assume the seller knew exactly what it was. The seller might not have been any smarter than the buyer about what it was. Now, later, buyer comes back looking for restitution. I would have done the same thing that the seller did. You bought it, you had it a while, I don't know what's happened to it in the mean time, no buy backs.

Be prepared. Do your research and be a man. If the casting numbers are on the block and you bought it thinking it was something it wasn't, learn from it. With the internet, there is no excuse beyond pure laziness not to be an informed buyer.

Simply put, why is it acceptable for this buyer to be ignorant about what 5.0L on the block means, but you're all convinced the seller was underhanded and knew what it meant ?