The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Allen Holloway

72 C-10 new crate motor installed, have questions on the late model serpintine belt

Hey guys looking for some help, I have a 72 sw c-10 i've recently installed a 330hp 350 HO Delux Crate motor from Chevy dealer. rigged it up at the time with old brakets and vee belts to get me running. i have recently purchased the SB Serpintine belt drive system deluxe W/air to install on the front of this motor to help with belt slipage. this system comes complete with all brackets, PS pump, 105 amp Altinater, Air compressor, reverse water pump, and pullies and belt needed. i'm ok with all that, but what i'm interested in knowing is: 1. is there any difference in the late model and early(stock) power steering pump? will the hoses connect and pumps serve the same purpose? 2: will the late model altinater connect to existing wiring? any help would be appreciated.. thanks guys..
Allen Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
denny5625

Re: 72 C-10 new crate motor installed, have questions on the late model serpintine be

I did a s-10 blazer 4.3 to small block chevy conversion a few years ago and everything (serpentine belt system) unbolted from the 4.3 and re-installed it on my early model 350 without any problems. Good luck.
72 2 wd Blazer
(2) 72 4 x 4 Blazers
88 24' Mirage 70 mph+
08 Harley Night Train
08 Silverado 4d 4 x 4
denny5625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Allen Holloway

Re: 72 C-10 new crate motor installed, have questions on the late model serpintine be

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5625 View Post
I did a s-10 blazer 4.3 to small block chevy conversion a few years ago and everything (serpentine belt system) unbolted from the 4.3 and re-installed it on my early model 350 without any problems. Good luck.
Great thanks Denny!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Lee H

Car Craft did a nice article on this a few years back. You should be able to find I with a quick google search. I not I'll find it for you. It will answer all these questions and more.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Lee H

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ive/index.html
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Thanks Lee, i'll look it up, appreciate your help...
Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
firedog

Do a search on here there is a lot of info in different posts I also have a 4.3 serp setup on my truck just remember to get all the stuff off the front with waterpump etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
sleepertruck72

I have the same crate engine, I used the serpentine system from the 96-98 Trucks. I know the p/s pump has metric fittings. A quick simple fix is to cut the end off to the p/s box side and re-flare it and use the s.a.e tube nut to work on the factory gearbox. The return line is no problem, its a cut to fit hose. My alternator was an 105 amp, I burned it because it needed a 5 watt 80 ohm resistor and I didnt use it. The reason it needs the resistor is because the 96-98 trucks use a charging lamp on the instrument cluster. If you dont use the charging lamp, you need the resistor. I hope this helps before you fry that alternator like I did
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepertruck72 View Post
I have the same crate engine, I used the serpentine system from the 96-98 Trucks. I know the p/s pump has metric fittings. A quick simple fix is to cut the end off to the p/s box side and re-flare it and use the s.a.e tube nut to work on the factory gearbox. The return line is no problem, its a cut to fit hose. My alternator was an 105 amp, I burned it because it needed a 5 watt 80 ohm resistor and I didnt use it. The reason it needs the resistor is because the 96-98 trucks use a charging lamp on the instrument cluster. If you dont use the charging lamp, you need the resistor. I hope this helps before you fry that alternator like I did
Great ideal Sleeper, and i was worried most about the amp. i had heard a resister might have to be used... thanks dude... really appreciate your help..
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
Do a search on here there is a lot of info in different posts I also have a 4.3 serp setup on my truck just remember to get all the stuff off the front with waterpump etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks fire dog, i'll dig in, appreciate your help..

Last edited by Allen Holloway; 08-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Holloway View Post
Hey guys looking for some help, I have a 72 sw c-10 i've recently installed a 330hp 350 HO Delux Crate motor from Chevy dealer. rigged it up at the time with old brakets and vee belts to get me running. thanks guys..
What I'd like to know is when you get it running, is how you like the Crate Enginge/HP? What did you have in tit BEFORE you did the swap, and what do you think the HP of your old engine was?
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
MudBug

I just finished putting a 290hp gm crate motor with serpentine set up in a friends 74 crewcab. On the power steering, I just swapped the fitting on the p/s pump. The fitting just unscrews out of the pump and you can use your stock hoses. Everthing worked great.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
MudBug

You will need the resister between the white wire and the new alternator.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I just finished putting a 290hp gm crate motor with serpentine set up in a friends 74 crewcab. On the power steering, I just swapped the fitting on the p/s pump. The fitting just unscrews out of the pump and you can use your stock hoses. Everthing worked great.
Hey thanks Mud, would have even thought about that, can't wait now to get home and look that over... appreciate your help and advise... you guys are awesome...
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
What I'd like to know is when you get it running, is how you like the Crate Enginge/HP? What did you have in tit BEFORE you did the swap, and what do you think the HP of your old engine was?
Oh man its a very strong motor, plenty of power for the way i drive, runs good on pump gas, even with ethinal. great sounding idle, it is running a little rich and i think some carb tuning needs to be done, but i'd do it over in a heart beat... the timing was a 180 degs out when i went to fire it off and liked to have blow the breather off it, got it addusted and been cruzing ever since, i've been running the motor several years with the stock vee belts and they squill when i punch it, and i'm fixing to get the AC working so figured it was time to just swop over to the serpintine system and be done with it... i like staying org. on my truck but this just seems like the easiest way to go and maybe a bit more durable... my old motor was a stock 350 with auto trans, not sure what the HP was but it didn't run well at all when i purchused the truck and it leaked oil so bad couldn't keep it filled... so can't say much about old motor. got the money i'd say go for it, it works for me..
Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
sleepertruck72

got it addusted and been cruzing ever since, i've been running the motor several years with the stock vee belts and they squill when i punch it,

Thats the same thing that happened with mine It is annoying and thats the reason I swapped over to serpentine belt. It actually helped my 700R4 because when it shifted into OD it would really bog down the engine. Since the serpentine swap it shifts perfectly into OD and no bogging Look in the electrical section for more info on your specific alternator. And also Car Craft September 2011 issue has a good article about alternator upgrades
Old 08-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepertruck72 View Post
got it addusted and been cruzing ever since, i've been running the motor several years with the stock vee belts and they squill when i punch it,

Thats the same thing that happened with mine It is annoying and thats the reason I swapped over to serpentine belt. It actually helped my 700R4 because when it shifted into OD it would really bog down the engine. Since the serpentine swap it shifts perfectly into OD and no bogging Look in the electrical section for more info on your specific alternator. And also Car Craft September 2011 issue has a good article about alternator upgrades
Thanks Sleeper... well check it out.. just need to work the bugs out before i start because its the only transpertation i have and need to have every thing together before i tear it down... thanks again.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
faribran

the link would not work for me..................??
Old 08-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by faribran View Post
the link would not work for me..................??
i couldn't get it to work either but will go out and goggle it bet it's out there...
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
stich626
Account Suspended

remember your fan will turn the wrong way..
lee power stearing makes sae to metric adapters for the lines if you don't want to cut and reflare..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #21
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
remember your fan will turn the wrong way..
lee power stearing makes sae to metric adapters for the lines if you don't want to cut and reflare..
Awesome stich! i'll look in to that... and yea knew i would need to reverse the fan but i'm hoping to go to electrict fan at some point, but will have to purchase a blade till then... thanks again...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
El Campo

If u want to go to electric fan do the search on here for putting a Jeep electric fan in now. Fits right in the stock shroud and everything. All the reverse rotation fans that I found were about 40 bucks and they tell me that the Jeep fan is only a little more than that. Save a little money in the long run. Just my unsolicited 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
Allen Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
If u want to go to electric fan do the search on here for putting a Jeep electric fan in now. Fits right in the stock shroud and everything. All the reverse rotation fans that I found were about 40 bucks and they tell me that the Jeep fan is only a little more than that. Save a little money in the long run. Just my unsolicited 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh that would be great i would like to keep the stock shroud if possible, yet i'm not sure this new serpintine belt system is going to allow me to keep it or not, it looks like it really comes out a good way from the front of the motor. butyea i look that up... thanks El Campo
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #24
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Holloway View Post
Oh that would be great i would like to keep the stock shroud if possible, yet i'm not sure this new serpintine belt system is going to allow me to keep it or not, it looks like it really comes out a good way from the front of the motor. butyea i look that up... thanks El Campo
If it helps any, here is my 72 GMC with a 350 from a 94 GMC 1500, with a Serpintine Belt and AC.
Everything fits fine.
I even bought a shroud from LMC and will be getting a Clutch Fan for it next Month.
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #25
becarp@up.net

Guys,

I'm just starting an engine swap in my 1972 Chev 4WD short box. I'm replacing the current 350 with the ZZ4 turn-key crate motor from Jegs. Will I have the same power steering (metric), alt (resister on the white wire), and fan (reversed) issues?
becarp@up.net is offline   Reply With Quote