The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Deryl

Aluminum Radiator

Getting ready to put in a Summit brand aluminum radiator. Just wondering if anyone bothers to use distilled water rather than straight out of the water hose? Is there any need to do so?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
chillware

Re: Aluminum Radiator

i buy 50/50 premixed antifreeze coolant..
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I did, just because of the recommendation, for mine, I also have aluminum heads too.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
bama63

i have run alum radiators and heads for years in my late model dirt racers and use straight water with a tablespoon of ivory dish washing liquid as a buffer and have never had any problems with corrosion or build up in the block or radiator in the past 25 years, antifreeze breaking down is what causes the corrosion problems so test and change when needed and all will be well
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
trustyrusty65

This was a point of discussion on (Click and Clack/The tappet Brothers') Car Talk this weekend. They couldn't come to a definite answer. Distilled water can be bad bad because it is "hungry" for minerals and dissolves them more easily than water that already has mineral content. I think most problems with corrosion and cooling system plug-ups come from expired antifreeze, and the water you mix in is negligible so long as it is not so "hard" that you can see minerals already in it. I also like the dish soap idea as another small measure of protection..
trustyrusty65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty65 View Post
"Distilled water can be bad bad because it is "hungry" for minerals and dissolves them more easily than water that already has mineral content."
Really? I think that is an urban myth, least that is what the Chemical Engineers say where I work.

I always use distilled water when adding antifreeze, 50/50 mix, and have never had a problem in over 30 years. I know I prefer stuff that has been run through a still, figured my truck would too!

We used to live in the country and had well water that had so much iron in it it tasted like iron. We now have "city" water which has so much chlorine it smells like a swimming pool. I don't think the iron or the chlorine are a good thing for the radiator or the cooling system.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 08-30-2011 at 10:36 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I've always used distilled water and a lubricant additive for the water pump. I have to do that particularly for drag racing (no ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant products allowed). It's difficult to argue the heat transfer capabilities. Obviously, if you live in regions that see freezes, you'll need to use an antifreeze, but here in the Southwest, just distilled water.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
towersddg9

50/50 all brands have the lube/additive now, look for the label any make any color
towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
Deryl

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will go with the distilled water. Although I have always used plain tap water I'm sure the clorine can't be good for aluminum.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Heater63

Don't worry about chlorine in tap water, the heat will destroy it quickly- but, you don't need the minerals found in tap water; I prefer distilled water. Distilled water plus enough anti-freeze (usually 50/50) for freeze protection has been proven over and over to be the best all around performer.

It's not just about corrosion, it's thermal/cooling efficiency, protection from freezing, maintenance of water pump seals, heater cores, etc. While it is true that pure water has better themal properties than an antifreeze mix, unless your just racing on a track, a water/glycol mix has the best all around features of cooling/freeze protection/and corrosion care.