The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Karnage

'74 K10 Needs A Gun Rack

But here's the catch, it can't be for the back windshield since I'd like to be able to open it up when I want without the rack/firearm being in the way.

The gun in question being my 41 inch long Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump action shotgun.

Anyone know of any other ways to hold it ready in the cab? Also, not be behind the seats... Otherwise I'd just put it in the case which defeats the purpose of it being on the rack, ready to go.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: '74 K10 Needs A Gun Rack

Behind your seats?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
Behind your seats?
Again, that defeats the purpose of it being on a rack. Besides, it would take some major hits behind the seats... My ride is everything but smooth.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
79k30dually

There use to be a company that made an overhead rack. Maybe search law enforcement web sites? Good luck, Ron
Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79k30dually View Post
There use to be a company that made an overhead rack. Maybe search law enforcement web sites? Good luck, Ron
I just googled overhead gun rack and that looks like a possible option but I'm not sure if it could mount. The top of the cab is not flat but rather comes down a few inches in the middle.

Is there a kind of rack or mount that I could get like the ones you see in police cruisers where they have the shotgun at the front? I wonder if that would even be a legal option here in California... So many stupid gun laws here.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
VegasBruce

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104195880

73 Stepside, 74 Blazer, 75 1 Ton, 66 Barracuda and a 05 Electraglide DD

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Rusti192-1.jpg
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBruce View Post
Not bad and the price is decent enough. Have you or anyone here actually mounted an over head rack in your truck?

Also THE "10" SILVERADO, the reason behind the seats wont work is because I don't have a bucket seat but rather 3 separates that would require me to put down at least two to slide my shotgun out. Getting the middle seat down is a bit of a pain since it requires me to pull on a little strap that normally works its way behind the seat.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
VegasBruce

My son had one in the truck he sold, and sorry to say I don't have any pics. It didn't have any head clearance issues for him though.

73 Stepside, 74 Blazer, 75 1 Ton, 66 Barracuda and a 05 Electraglide DD

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Rusti192-1.jpg
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBruce View Post
It didn't have any head clearance issues for him though.
That's good to know. I don't sit up too high in my truck so I don't think it would be an issue for me either. But still, a mount like the police use would be better in my opinion. I have no idea what that kind would be called tho.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
bmchevy1979

As far as the police style mount I think that the only way here in Ca is if you are a rancher. but they make them for jeeps or utility vehicles (Mule, Gator, Ranger) they would mount fairly easy on the trans tunnel in these trucks
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...utm_medium=cse
81 GMC C3500 cab-chassis dually with utility bed 350sbc, Sm465, 14bolt with 4.10s nv4500 getting ready to go in
1979 Chevrolet K5 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434096
1976 Chevrolet C10 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434195
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmchevy1979 View Post
As far as the police style mount I think that the only way here in Ca is if you are a rancher.
I honestly hate California with a passion. These random laws not found in almost all other states get annoying. Gun laws being the worst. I mean ****, I can't have more than two rounds loaded in my shotgun while I hunt or else it is illegal. Yet the moment I go back home I can fill the mag up and it be legal. Also there is a 10 round cap for all magazines for any weapon while in other states you can have 100 round drums and everything can go full auto...

If you think that makes no sense, you are going to love the knife/blade laws here. Switch blades can't be longer than 2 inches but you can get a giant pocket knife that has a quick switch function on the blade. The only thing that makes switch blades illegal is having the button/switch on the handle instead of on the blade. Oh and butterfly knives are illegal in any size... Why? Who the hell knows.

You can carry around a giant bastard sword on your back as long as it is clearly visible. I'm not even joking with you, it is completely legal to carry around giant swords. You can still get arrested tho. Cops can optionally arrest you on "disturbing the peace" but that is up to the officer and who complains. As for handguns, you can have a 10 round magazine with one ready in the chamber, making it a total of 11 rounds in your handgun... But having a magazine that holds 11 rounds without one in the chamber is illegal.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
I honestly hate California with a passion. These random laws not found in almost all other states get annoying. Gun laws being the worst. I mean ****, I can't have more than two rounds loaded in my shotgun while I hunt or else it is illegal. Yet the moment I go back home I can fill the mag up and it be legal. Also there is a 10 round cap for all magazines for any weapon while in other states you can have 100 round drums and everything can go full auto...

If you think that makes no sense, you are going to love the knife/blade laws here. Switch blades can't be longer than 2 inches but you can get a giant pocket knife that has a quick switch function on the blade. The only thing that makes switch blades illegal is having the button/switch on the handle instead of on the blade. Oh and butterfly knives are illegal in any size... Why? Who the hell knows.

You can carry around a giant bastard sword on your back as long as it is clearly visible. I'm not even joking with you, it is completely legal to carry around giant swords. You can still get arrested tho. Cops can optionally arrest you on "disturbing the peace" but that is up to the officer and who complains. As for handguns, you can have a 10 round magazine with one ready in the chamber, making it a total of 11 rounds in your handgun... But having a magazine that holds 11 rounds without one in the chamber is illegal.
Yeah, that's why on my firearm forums we all call California "Kommiefornia"...no offense to those who live there but your gun laws are crazy. Laws aside, unless you want an overhead rack, your not going to have many places to put a 41 in 12 guage easily. I don't know the reason you want to carry but if your looking for easily concealed and easy to get to....might want to look into a shorter shotgun. I don't know the Cal. length laws, but Mossberg has a "defender" edition 500 that's a whole heck of a lot shorter with a fold-able stock.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Not really my business where you keep your shotgun, but I am confused to how you plan to keep a gun in open view? If you leave it in your truck unattended how long will it be before some thug does a smash and grab?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Karnage

Let me answer some questions for you guys. I'm not planning on keeping the shotgun in the truck when I'm not. I do however need it where I can get to it without spending 5 minutes trying to get my seats down *which is why behind the seat is not an option*. Why would I need a shotgun that can be by my side while driving a truck? Have you ever seen the California flag?

Look at it for a sec and it should be obvious why it's nice to have a shotgun full of slug rounds when going out of populated areas.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #15
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post

Look at it for a sec and it should be obvious why it's nice to have a shotgun full of slug rounds when going out of populated areas.
You are partially correct. If on Private property you MIGHT find a cop who lets you slide. But it IS ILLEGAL to have a weapon openly carried IE a gun rack or on the seat IN CA even if its unloaded.

But thats beside the point lets get to how you are going to use this 41 inch shotgun so swiftly. SO let me get this straight you are going to take your "unloaded" shotgun and use it as a club against a wild animal a bear no less? Or do you plan on loading it 'full of slugs' all the while a bear charging at 30-40 miles per hour is coming at you? You watch way to many movies. Am I understanding you or are you just contradicting yourself? First of all bear attacks are rare in CA. Very rare. Secondly unless you plan on driving on private property the whole time to get to your hunting ground you STILL HAVE TO HAVE an appropriate container. Even if you had the weapon in your truck unloaded the rounds still have to be separated from the operator while riding in your vehicle. The law doesn't define 'the wild' it is either public or private property. It cant be loaded in your truck on public property. Period. So it defeats the purpose of having a shotgun in a rack and at the ready because you cant use it fast without loading it first. Well I take that back you could use it to club those pesky bears.

Read up http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.1.html

Last edited by scottsdaleowner75; 09-16-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #16
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
SO let me get this straight you are going to take your "unloaded" shotgun and use it as a club against a wild animal a bear no less? Or do you plan on loading it 'full of slugs' all the while a bear charging at 30+ miles per hour is coming at you? You watch way to many movies. Am I understanding you or are you just contradicting yourself? First of all bear attacks are rare in CA. Very rare. Secondly unless you plan on driving on private property the whole time to get to your hunting ground you STILL HAVE TO HAVE an appropriate container. Even if you had the weapon in your truck unloaded the rounds still have to be locked while riding in your vehicle. The law doesn't define 'the wild' it is either public or private property. It cant be loaded in your truck on public property. Period. So it defeats the purpose of having a shotgun in a rack and at the ready because you cant use it fast without loading it first. Well I take that back you could use it to club those pesky bears.
How did that make any sense? Did you think I was talking about having a loaded shotgun full of slugs in my truck and then firing in the truck at a bear?... I honestly don't get you. But I guess I'll have to explain it to you in fine details for you to get it. You take the shotgun from the rack, which takes a minute max instead of getting out, lowering two seats, pulling the shotgun from the back curve of the truck not getting it stuck on anything like the seat frame or the seat belt tucked back for the middle seat, open up the glove box and load the shotgun "full of slugs" which only takes a few seconds with speed load training and about 15+ years of firearm experience and aim it at the bear that is slowly walking to you in a curious manner, being ready for the small chance it does start to charge at your group.

But apparently I'm the one watching too many movies when you're the one claiming that bears start to charge at you. I'm starting to doubt you have even ran into a bear before. But apparently because bear attacks are rare in California means you should not take precautions at the very common bear you will spot in the California wild that will almost always start to walk to you. But hey, you obviously live in the same spot in California like I do and go out in the wilds like I do and run into bears like I do and live in a Cabin for a few months in the winter like I do. Oh wait, no, you don't.

There is a difference between googleing and living. You can google all the stats you want on bear attacks but you wont ever read about the highly common bear sightings. On the other hand, I've lived through this and experienced the California wild ever since I was a child. I see a few bears every single time I go up and they are the second most common animal I see other than squirrels since deers always run away if you ever get near. They hear you before you see them.

Guess what? There is a 90% chance that those bears will start moving towards me or the others unlike the other animals here that move away. You know what else? Out of the 100 or so bears I've seen, not one has charged at me "at 30+ miles per hour" because they have not charged at all. Keep talking like you know things... You don't.

P.S. I don't appreciate you trying to bull**** your information towards me. I just read your links for kicks and you seem to misunderstand that once a firearm is not being transported, but rather on ones person or ready for use, even in a vehicle, carry laws apply instead of transport laws. Transportation laws require that you lock a handgun away and you are not able to conceal it. The same laws do not apply to rifles or shotguns. Within this area, I can transport my shotgun, unloaded, not locked in a container, in my vehicle, even in public. Most of the crud you threw at me deals with handguns and concealed handguns.

Last edited by Karnage; 09-16-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:44 AM   #17
rwhit57

Just curious, rather than get out of your truck and shoot the bear that might attack you. Why not just drive off?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Here's a possible listing for what you're after..... http://www.fleetsafety.com/gun-racks/
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #19
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
Here's a possible listing for what you're after..... http://www.fleetsafety.com/gun-racks/
Thanks for the link, that' has given plenty of options for shotgun mounts.

Now I just have to check on what is legal here in California other than back windshield racks.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #20
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
What you are trying to do is not only skating on illegal it is flat out stupid in CA. You are asking for trouble and giving 2A liberals more ammo to destroy our freedoms with. The law clearly states YOU CANNOT HAVE A LOADED WEAPON OR LOOSE AMMUNITION IN THE SAME COMPARTMENT AS YOU ARE IN WITHOUT EITHER THE TWO BEING SEPARATE AND UNLOADED AS WELL AS IN LOCKED CONTAINERS. So ammo in a locked glove box and shotgun in its own carrier locked. They can't be easy for you to access. It is the law.
First of all, it's not illegal to mount firearms in your vehicle while in the wild or hunting. Second, you don't have to cap the important stuff and third, I never said it would be loaded while on the rack. I said I wanted a rack so that the weapon itself could be easy to grab. That does not mean it would be loaded. Also, while hunting, on private land or in the wild, you can have your ammo on you as well as not locked in your vehicle while in said vehicle.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #21
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

What you are trying to do is not only skating on illegal it is flat out stupid in CA. You are asking for trouble and giving 2A liberals more ammo to destroy our freedoms with. The law clearly states YOU CANNOT HAVE A LOADED WEAPON OR LOOSE AMMUNITION IN THE SAME COMPARTMENT AS YOU ARE IN WITHOUT EITHER THE TWO BEING SEPARATE AND UNLOADED AS WELL AS IN LOCKED CONTAINERS. So ammo in a locked glove box and shotgun in its own carrier locked. They can't be easy for you to access. It is the law.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #22
BigBlocksRule

Sell the shotgun and snag a 44-mag.
Even with slugs, your effective range with a 12ga isn't very far, plus it's cumbersome as hell.
Better have some armed buddies as well...if you stumble across an "agriculture plot" while you're trekking through the mountains, you might have more than a bear to defend yourself against
Old 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Sell the shotgun and snag a 44-mag.
Even with slugs, your effective range with a 12ga isn't very far, plus it's cumbersome as hell.
Better have some armed buddies as well...if you stumble across an "agriculture plot" while you're trekking through the mountains, you might have more than a bear to defend yourself against
I've had my shotgun for years and it's by far my favorite gun I've ever owned. I have it for hunting purposes as well as shooting skeet and straight up preference. There is nothing better than shooting a 12 gauge in my opinion. I feel comfortable shooting long guns, not really into hand guns at all. Also, you would be surprised how far a 3 1/2in slug can travel.

About a few hundred feet. I'm not taking my shotgun up into private lands to defend myself from bears. I'm taking it up to hunt and do course runs with targets. But if I'm taking it up, I might as well give it the option of defense if it is ever needed. It's going to be with me no matter what, I might as well spend a hundred or so bucks on a rack and give it the option of a speedy retrieval.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
nerphin

You could probably mount this one just under the dash.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
Altec
Getcha Pull

I would make rack to hold the weapon In the same fashion that It is sitting on your seat. We made something like this for a golf kart. Works great. A 3/16" 8"x8" steel plate bolted to the floor, 1" square tube going up, and a rifle clamp snagged from a gun rack found at Bass Pro. Works great.

You could probably lean it so the butt stock is toward the seat, and muzzle is facing the rear view mirror. That way a third passenger can straddle the rack. Still more comfortable then riding in the middle of a stick truck...

One more option is try to move the seats slightly further apart, and make a rack the holds the Shotgun between the seats. Where your gloves are pictured.
'96 Integra
Closed Thread