The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Bashing threads Please Read..

Posting up trucks / cars etc to say nothing more then OMG THIS THING SUCKS etc.. is fully against everything this site is about. It has never been allowed and is not now. Recently we have had a rising amount of these threads being made.. not cool at all..

Just a reminder, thanks.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Re: Bashing threads Please Read..

I know that bashing is bad. But i have to admit that sence i've been in the junking business and seen some real nice trucks get cut up and some car's get cut up For just a learning curve.Is a shame and i only put my 2 cents in when i see these work of arts get cut up welded on in some strange Science project.I know i'm the black sheep of the family here and less liked.But I just like to point out that we have computers now they have Programs for you to cut and dice up to your hearts content.But i know there are a lot of guys in here the sweet cry and Bleed for these trucks.Now i'm not against mods.But if your not sure how to do something there are Ton's of guys in here willing to help you.Cus they love there trucks and these old car's as much as they love there family.

If for some reason that you feel I've bashed i'm sorry.But I hate seeing one of these trucks end up in the scrap yard do to the lack of information or the lack of knowing any better.These trucks are works of art.Into days time Nothing can compare to them.Treat them Right
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Shyguy

I have been here quite a while and some of the things that brought me to this forum is the positive and helpful attitude of many of the members.

I have learned so much here over the years and have enjoyed the knowledge and entertainment this forum has provided me. Even if I did not own one of these trucks I would still visit here often.

This is the best forum I have ever been a part of and I would like to thank you all for allowing me to ramble at times when posting.

I think the "Staff" does a great job, thank you.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

There is a big difference between discussing things done to a vehicle and bashing. The issue is, 99% of the time when a discussion starts, someone has to bash. We have had several instances where folks have slammed a vehicle on ebay etc, to find out the owner is a member here. Kinda sucky way to make someone feel welcome. Its like the age old saying.. if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
hugger6933

To anyone that has in their mind I bashed them, I''m truly sorry. I am not one that tries to offend if anything I'd like to think of myself as helpful. I spend a lot of time on here, and in the body & paint sections. I look for threads that have'nt had responces to answer. if I know something from my experiances in the car & bodyshop bussinesses. I would also like to thank the ones that have helped me with some off the wall problems. Peace-out- Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
CC69Rat

Liz - I have posted a couple just browsing around Craigslist, just things I thought were different and interesting (?) No intentions of bashing anyone, I make changes to mine that other people might not agree with too .. and that's cool with me. Color, price, mods, it's all just differences in opinion but you have a valid point and I will avoid commenting and/or posting should I see others in the future. I'm truly sorry and never meant to offend anyone. I'm on this site practically every day.

Some people like the factory look, some chop the tops, bags, factory size wheels, 22's etc. I like them all. I just find it interesting what people create and parts they use to make them their own. It's all art to me and takes a lot of time and money to accomplish .. and I truly appreciate it as such.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
treveiger

When it comes down to it, its not about the vehicle or how its made its how the owner had a idea an ran with it. That's what makes then cool, I'm personally not into lowering trucks an big rims but have seen many ones that don't look half bad, I kept a open mind an just enjoy all the different types.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
SactoJim

How's that old saying go......"if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all". We should try to live by this I suppose.....sometimes it's just hard not to laugh at stuff we all see, then post, and hope everyone else laughs with us! If we all thought the same stuff looked cool, the world would be an awful dull place!
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
70cst

I think many times a post may be made w/o the intent of it turning into a negative/bash thread. I also believe 95% of those on this board will refrain from bashing ones "creative" ideas but...there are those who are more than happy to jump on the "truck" when in turn it reflects on the owner and his /her ideas...and who knows that truck's owner may be a member of the site. Just like LWB verses SWB threads can turn into negative threads. There are those trucks that I would not want but the creativity and skills of the owner are much greater than mine and that I admire. But many times different is cool. Just thoughts I have after reading this thread.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I think people get a little confused on the focus of this issue.

Yeah, some people do things to cars and trucks that most people don't understand (or care to) and it is difficult to refrain from staring. No one is trying to say that "every truck is beautiful in its own way" because, well, some clearly are not.

What we are trying to say is that conversations aimed at creating a "dang that sucks" dogpile thread are inherantly negative. No goodwill or helpfull information is produced, just derision. While "Your welding sucks" and "It would be a good idea to grind that down and lay a more penetrating bead on that seam" may actualy convey the same information; it's pretty clear that one statement is helpful and the other is not.

If you are moved to discuss some less than spectacular build you spotted on a Craigs List or some ill-concieved chimera built fron a 72 Corvette, a 61 Plymouth and a 81 GMC long bed you can, if your approach is possitive.

e.g.
"While it was an interesting idea to graft the front end of a 71 Satelite onto a 64 long-step I think the effect would have been better if the blend line was carried up through the door."

Here we have a post that takes something we all consider attrocious and turns it into a possitive discussion about extream customs.

Compare that to:
"Look at what this idiot did!"

Same truck, same picture but now the post is an attack on someone and will spawn nothing but further attacks and negative feeling.

You see; it's not about the subject so much as it is about atmosphere. Just ask yourself; will what I am writing be something that is possitive or is what I am writing going to hurt someone?

Also; while I chose an extream situation to make my point above, there is a huge gray area that will certainly include members of this site. I am doing the very best job I can on my truck, but if (a century from now when I actualy finish it!) I rolled it across the block at Barret Jackson it would be laughable. If the pros here were to jump on my build thread and start making fun of my less than profeshional skills I might feel a tad discouraged about the whole thing.

We want to nuture and encourage the hobby here, not make people feel that they are not worthy and shouldn't even try.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Lots of good thoughts here, so I will add mine. We all know this forum has thousands of member. Every single day you have regular active members here, old members that drop in occasionally, new members that have just discovered the site, etc.

There are lots of members that come here just to enjoy, but seldom post. There are those that may never post at all until they have a personal need. My point is, not all members are the same. With the volume of accounts here, you know that inevitably you are prone to post about a truck that its owner is a member here.

When a truck is posted with a link Craigslist, ebay, or another site many of you assume its safe to take pot shots at the truck. I suppose most people think the owner will never see the post, so its fine to blast it at will. Please remember that the owner very well could be a "potential" member here and your post cause them to leave the site and never return.

Please think it through "before" you throw a link to the truck that you find to be hideous. Someone, somewhere loves that truck despite how you feel it looks.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Street Smart

OMG this tread sucks...

j/k.

its like seeing an ugly child, somebody somewhere loves it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Thank you for adding to the productivity of the thread. It is greatly appreciated... FYI treads are on tires, threads are on a message board
Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Street Smart

no prob any tyme

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

In the 10,000+ posts I have on here, there's a chance that I have said something at some time that may have been taken as offensive. However, I didn't ever "say" it with the intention of hurting anyones' feelings. I am, or try to be, sensitive to the work that people put into their vehicles...trucks and/or cars. We all know that some of the stuff we see is not what we'd do to our vehicles. The challenge is to keep the negative (real or perceived) thoughts to ourselves and not let our fingers do the talking....instead, just keep walking and ignore the negativity.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Of course I get the point...but sometimes it's hard not to criticize

A fine example of postmodernism.
Attached Images

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post

.......uh....huh! Creativity does start somewhere. It would be fun to drive!
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post

see how hard would it be to do that, an how long. I wouldnt buy it but I would drive it for fun lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
helldiablo

ive been known to hurt peoples feelings every now and then.. but i dont belive i have ever bashed a thread.. usually when i post something in a thread it kills the thread.... instead of bashing.. just say to yourself.. wow! at least it not mine, but they obivously like it.. anywho to each there own i guess... now watch as this thread dies... lol ....
Old 09-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

You could ALWAYS find it in a parking lot! I loose my Camry all the stinking time!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
stich626
Account Suspended

missed all this, was in hospital..
opinions are opinions, unless you're on the recieving end of a - opinion then in todays p/c world it becomes a bash..
I'm sure some don't like my trucks set up.. just like I'm not fond of everybodies idea of their "art"
peace.
when opimions become taboo we are lost
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
missed all this, was in hospital..
opinions are opinions, unless you're on the recieving end of a - opinion then in todays p/c world it becomes a bash..
I'm sure some don't like my trucks set up.. just like I'm not fond of everybodies idea of their "art"
peace.
when opimions become taboo we are lost
Opinions are not taboo here, but bashing in any form is. We encourage you to interact and post comments as long as they are in a positive manner. Even comments of criticism can be posted in a way that don't offend, but thats not what this post is about.

To be clear, this post was made because the volume of post being made with the sole intent to be critical of how a vehicle looks has increased dramatically.The staff has been instructed to lock these type of posts with no reply because no matter how we reply everyone becomes defensive.

Unfortunately the increase in volume of these types of posts, and the subsequent reporting that ensues has the staff members working overtime on an issue that is not our normal focus. In an attempt to curtail this type of posting Liz is bringing this to the general membership attention as fair warning that it will no longer be quietly tolerated.

Consider this a warning shot to all.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #23
truckster

So, I just want to understand clearly- If we find a truck somewhere that's "interesting", we shouldn't post it? Or is it OK to post it still?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #24
beautimus

thankyou, mam, for keeping things peaceful here, we do get a little out of line at times, and occasionally need to be reminded of our manners. For the most part the people here are great, but maybe we are sometimes, a little too passionite in our beliefs, and our range of humour varies greatly.
So thankyou Liz for reminding us to keep it on a sane level.
Your work keeps this board what it is. The Greatest Place on the net.
Thanks, Tony
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautimus View Post
thankyou, mam, for keeping things peaceful here, we do get a little out of line at times, and occasionally need to be reminded of our manners. For the most part the people here are great, but maybe we are sometimes, a little too passionite in our beliefs, and our range of humour varies greatly.
So thankyou Liz for reminding us to keep it on a sane level.
Your work keeps this board what it is. The Greatest Place on the net.
Thanks, Tony
Very kind and well thought out post Tony. Yes Liz (and Josh and the rest of the Mods) have a heck of a job juggling so many personalities and few here, other than the other Mods, realize the supreme effort involved in keeping the members and the threads moving smoothly.

Many forget we aren't truly anonymous and what we say can actually be affecting someone else.
Do I see things I think are tacky or just plain goofy? You bet.
Do I try to never say something about my opinion that I wouldn't dream of saying to the vehicle's owner to their face? Again, yes.
I'm just like everyone else...get caught up in the moment and would love to say WTF but don't.

To quote another post (almost): "when opinions become mean we are lost".

BTW--today is International Peace Day. On that note; have a nice evening.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote