The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
octard

'67 GMC Truck Valve Covers

Hello Folks,

I was wondering if someone on this forum might be able to help guide me a bit further in one bit of old race car research. Yes, trust me, this comes back to GMC trucks, I think, so please bear with me.

Several 1966 and later small block Chevy powered sports racers (Can-Am, USRRC) and Formula 5000 (Continental, Formula A), ran a stamped steel, no hole, and no "Chevrolet" script valve cover.

My notes and some pictures of the valve covers in question can be seen on this link to another forum dedicated to old Trans-Am Camaros:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8146.0

What led me to this forum, was reference to some very similar GMC valve covers in this thread (in particular, the posts by "1967C20"):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348960

It would seem that these plain (no "Chevrolet" script because it's a GMC), no-hole small block valve covers look to be a good match, but I can't be sure.

Would anyone on this list be able to comment on whether the 1967 GMC (or 1966 for that matter) small block equipped trucks came both without holes and wire retainment tabs?

Additionally, would anyone know specific part numbers for these items?

I have the ability to source and modify the applicable bits that could reproduce this look, but I'm really just interested in finding out from a historical perspective, what may have originally been used back in the day.

All the best, and I welcome any additional feedback... if you're still reading and interested.

-Chad
octard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
partsman3

Re: '67 GMC Truck Valve Covers

The plain covers with no holes are from a 327. 327's had the oil filler on the front of the intake and crank case ventalation on the rear of the engine.
partsman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
octard

Thank you. I look forward to any additional feedback on...
  • Were these used only on 1967 GMC 327 truck engines, and if not, for what additional years?
  • Were there any spot welded tabs for retaining wires?
  • What part number did these valve covers use, left or right, if they're different?
Thanks again.

-Chad
Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Bessie is sportin a pair as we speak... She's a 67 CHEVY C20 with a 327.....

Mine have no tabs, and are interchangeable from left to right, they do however have a slight canted angle to them so if you put them on upside down they will rub the rockers... ask me how I know.
Attached Images

screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
octard

Thanks "Screamin_c10", I appreciate the feedback.

Indeed, I too remember first learning about the different cant of the opposing inboard and outboard sides of the valve cover.

I look forward to anyone else perhaps having something along the lines of a GM part number.

Thanks again.

-Chad
Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The pre-PCV SBC truck valve covers will be the plain/no holes. I believe maybe the cars from the late-60s also. The earlier 327s had a V impression in the center and the 265/283s had the script

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote