The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
jon_volk

F-ing Balljoints!!!!

well i just finished installing a flip kit in the rear and was going to continue the day by installing my spindles and new springs but after 30 min of beating the piss out of the balljoints w/ a pickle fork the damn things still wont break loose...this is with the nut backed off a few threads and the spring tension still on em. Ive never come accross such stubborn ball joints and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. i dont really wanna be drivin around w/ my ass end hangin down all week!
Old 04-13-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
TIMSPEED

This is why I HAD my front end done...even if I DID pay $500 for it, I'll say it's worth it!
Old 04-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Ol' Grey
A work in progress

Please forgive the Crayola-esque diagram.

Hit the red areas of the spindle with a 3lb hammer while putting wedge pressure between the control arm and spindle. Sometimes a good rap to that area of the spindle will be enough to get it apart.
Attached Images

1986 Chevy Silverado C-10 LWB
Gunmetal Grey Metallic
5.0L HO, 700-R4, '73 12-bolt rear
Long tube headers, 2.5" dual exhaust dumped before the axle.

1988 GMC Sierra SLE 4WD
5.7L, 700-R4, stock everything
6000LB winch
Ol' Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
MSL

Some have even heated up the bottom end of it .
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:04 PM   #5
low 84

since you are installing new spindle just hit thos guys with all you've got in the red areas in the diagram with a sledge. hope fully that will jar them loose. but keep the nut only backed off a few threads just like you have been doing.

i had one that was stuck so bad thati just took the whole lower control arm off with the spindle attached and i just took the asembly over to myfriends shop. they tried and impact hammer with a fork on it and every thing else they could think off. then they chainded the control arm to the floor and beat the spindle off with a big sledge.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Here is the best way to get the bottom ball joint loose. This is my procedure.

Remove the bottom bolt from the shock mount at the lower control arm. Use a chain to run through the coil springs to hold them in place until you drop the lower control arm enough to take the pressure off. This will make sure they don't fly out and hit you. These springs have a lot of force so be real careful. Once the chain is in place, put a floor jack under the lower control arm and raise it just a little. Next remove the cotter pin from the top ball joint nut and loosen a few threads. Don't remove the nut all the way yet. Use a ball joint pickle fork to break the top ball joint loose from the spindle. A ball joint pickle fork has a wider area between the forks so it will fit around the ball joint stud. Once the upper ball joint is loose, remove the nut. Now being real careful, lower the floor jack to take the pressure off the coil spring. Once all pressure if off, remove the chain and coil spring. They make a tool to help remove the lower ball joint, but I made my own. I used a long 1/2" bolt and nut, washer. The bolt needs to be threaded all the way up. Stick the open end of the bolt down through the upper ball joint hole in the spindle. Put the flat washer and then the nut onto the bolt. Hold the end of the bolt onto the end of the lower ball joint stud and tighten the nut until it makes contact with the spindle. With the floor jack under the lower control arm to hold it up level, remove the cotter pin from the ball joint nut and loosen the nut a few threads. Don't remove the nut all the way yet. Now tighten the nut on the home made ball joint removal tool and while tightening use a 2 pound hammer to rap on the spindle right beside the ball joint. Keep tightening the nut and rapping the spindle until it breaks loose. Believe me, this will work. I know because this is the way I removed my lower ball joints from the spindle. Once the ball joint breaks loose, remove the ball joint nut and spindle.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:35 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I just changed my springs out again over the weekend. One lower balljoint, which was out just a year ago, just did not want to come out. My neighbor and I took turns beating the cr@p out of the spindle with a 4 pound sledge until it finaly popped out. I actually chipped a couple of small pieces of metal off the spindle around the ball joint! Good thing I plan to replace them with dropped spindles soon...

Slonaker
Old 04-13-2003, 08:57 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Grey
Please forgive the Crayola-esque diagram.

Hit the red areas of the spindle with a 3lb hammer while putting wedge pressure between the control arm and spindle. Sometimes a good rap to that area of the spindle will be enough to get it apart.
That's the same trick I use. I don't even own a "boot destroyer" aka pickle fork. I hate those things. Never took more then a couple good pops with a 2.5 lb sledge even on my abused 75 Jimmy. That is one of the best kept best tricks in the book. It works on about everything including stuck Diff carriers.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #9
jon_volk

tried EVERYTHING. im sayin screw this, ordering a poly front end kit and payin somone to do this. i think this is the first time ive decided to farm somthing out in 4 years
Old 04-14-2003, 08:25 PM   #10
85 GMC

this is the sound you heard in my driveway , CAPING , CAPING , CAAAAAPING , CAAAAAAAAPINGGGGGGGGG. there is a sweet spot in those things that you have to find and thry will fall right out.
85 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:36 AM   #11
Nvbowtie

Ol' Smokie !!

Last resort ? Smoke wrench !!
1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote