The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
jojoman

carb to quadrajet

is this possible is there any after market quadrajets for a 383 stroker that just bolt on like a regular carb right now i have a holley 650 what ya think is better or do ya think bigger carb would be better
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
von guido

Re: carb to quadrajet

anything bigger would be a waste. a 600 cfm holley or demon would probably give you better driveability and performance
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
406 Q-ship

To change over to a Q-jet, the intake will have to be a spreadbore design. I love the Q-jet, but if you don't have the intake to accept the jet, then a Carter/Edelbrock might be a better choice. Why do you think that you need to get rid of the 650 Holley in the first place?

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Question Re: carb to quadrajet

Which 650 holley do you have?.... 4165 (spreadbore) or a Holley 4150/4160 (squarebore)....the 4165 is a direct replacement for quadrajet and bolts directly to original GM manifold .....

--Also is your Holley a double pump or vacuum sec. ?

--What cam are you running....rpm range ?

--Head type...intake vol cc ?

--If you have a street / strip 383 ....that makes power at higher rpm, 700-cfm "might" be a better choice and show some gains above 5000 rpm in a 383, anything less I agree stay with a 600-650 cfm.

--No such thing as aftermarket "q-jet"...there are re-builders that modify them such as JET performance, but they are all based on the original "q-jet".
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
jojoman

well i wanted to get another carb because the previous owner ran it with out filters and it got all cloged up a guy kinda fixed it for me but then it started flooding again got gas in my oil so i just wanted to get another one and is a holley 4777-7 i kinda have heard bad things about those and is 650cfm enough for a 383 supposedly everything is forged inside
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
well i wanted to get another carb because the previous owner ran it with out filters and it got all cloged up a guy kinda fixed it for me but then it started flooding again got gas in my oil so i just wanted to get another one and is a holley 4777-7 i kinda have heard bad things about those and is 650cfm enough for a 383 supposedly everything is forged inside
Yes 650cfm is plenty unless you have a 7000 rpm screamer sbc

This is your carb:
4777-3,4,5,6,7.... 650cfm....double pumper,
Primary main jets 67, Secondary main jets 73, Power valve 6.5, Primary Nozzle 28, Secondary Nozzle 28

It is a great carb but might not be good for your application, in a heavy truck a double pumper can be frustrating to set up to work right, cause they are really designed for high power low weight applications, also auto trans in a truck will even be worse. You will have better all around performance and fuel economy with a vacuum sec carb...I run a BG Speed Demon....but for about a hundred bucks less Iv'e heard good things about these Holley Avengers

Holley 0-83670 - Holley Aluminum Street Avenger Carburetors
electric choke 670 cfm....about $370.00

Holley 0-85670 - Holley Aluminum Street Avenger Carburetors
manual choke 670 cfm....about $370.00

Here's a link to Summits Quadrajet page reman carbs $299.00 and up; if you want to go that way
You'll need a spreadbore manifold for these though; stay away from adaptors
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?keyword=q+jet
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
jojoman

SO what would you recommend from the barry line what are you running i like the speed demon section the one i liked was part #1282010VFE but it has that ford kick down i dont get what that is and if is applicable for me if not then the one with out it or the holley you mention what you think or what about an edlbrock the thing is that i just want to spend the money one time that it and no regrets but i have no clue what to go with

Last edited by jojoman; 10-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
79k30dually

Depending on the heads and cam, most 383's I've dealt with didn't have any problems with 850. Possibly a BBC Qjet tuned for more cfm. Good luck, Ron..
79k30dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
jdheff1982

Why not get a rebuilt edelbrock performer 750? They are on sale now for $199 @ jegs. I just installed one on my truck.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/9907/10002/-1
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
jojoman

well i really wanted a speed demon i like what i hear about them and the looks but that is cheap for a 750 edelbrock but can some one answer me on that ford kick down is that really only for fords.Because i seen couple of other carbs that i like and they say same thing ford kickdown
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
well i really wanted a speed demon i like what i hear about them and the looks but that is cheap for a 750 edelbrock but can some one answer me on that ford kick down is that really only for fords.Because i seen couple of other carbs that i like and they say same thing ford kickdown
Ford uses a unique kickdown system so most aftermaket carbs will have a dedicated part# for Ford automatics. The carb is the same it just has a different type linkage hookup for a Ford kickdown

Edelbrock's are sold as universal and have a wide array of kickdown parts and linkage accessories to fit virtually anything including Ford.....here's the page.....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../general.shtml

If you go with the Demon or Holley look for any "other than" Ford model
Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
csb#356

You need to be realistic on what rpm your actually going to turn with this engine. 5000 rpm or less you don't need anything bigger than a 600 maybe a 650. If the carburetor flows too much fuel for the amount of air the engine pulls in its a complete waste and will cost you power and performance. Bigger isn't always better. you first need to ask yourself what rpm range you're going to be in most of the time. If this is a daily driver and your just cruising around in traffic and every once and a while you're going to go up to 5000 or 6000 rpm then the 600 cfm is great. If you're going to go down a racetrack with it at 7000 then yeah you might go a little bigger. Otherwise I highly doubt that engine is that volumetrically efficient to need a bigger carburetor than what you have. I hope this helps in your decision. I see to many people that think they need the biggest baddest carburetor because thats what "race cars" have. Is this a "race car"?
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
jojoman

well i kinda got it down to like the 3 that i really like i tried finding a edelbrock but just couldn't see if ya can help me on that but these are 3
1)barry grant speed demon 1282010VE Vacuum Secondary 650
2)Holley 0-83670 670cfm vac secc 4 barrel
and of course for fun
3)Holley 0-86670BL 670cfm vac secc 4 barrel
so what do ya think and try to help me out on the edelbrock i heard they are a lil better then holley but i have always gone with holley
Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
MilkyJoe

Say no to the quadrajunk please, move on to a Holley, or Edelbrock
MilkyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

The Performer EPS is an intake manifold...."square bore", (falls between Performer and Perfomer rpm, in performance level)

Edelbrock has 2 styles of 4 barrel carbs:

Performer Series....street replacement carb; 500, 600, 750 and 800cfm

Thunder Series AVS..........street/strip carb; 500, 600, and 800cfm

Difference between the Holley 0-83670 "Avenger" and 0-86670BL "Ultra Avenger", is the Ultra has billet metering blocks and base plate as opposed to cast on the 83670, also it has a bright blue anodized main body and is about $500.00 vs. $380.00 for the standard avenger. (both are 670 cfm)

The BG Speed Demon 1282010VE 650 cfm runs about $425.00 and has all the features of the Holley Ultra Avenger, except for having a zinc main body as opposed to Holley's aluminum body.....I run this Speed Demon in my dually and for the money, the fit, the finish and overall build quality is excellent.

BG is back, re-launch is set for SEMA at end of OCT. ....BG parts are still avail, also most of the wear parts interchange with Holley anyway.

Last edited by RUSHNBOBO; 10-07-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
csb#356

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
The Performer EPS is an intake manifold
Ooops
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyJoe View Post
Say no to the quadrajunk please, move on to a Holley, or Edelbrock
Q-jet are the best all around carburator and the ones who say they are junk don't understand them.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Talking Re: carb to quadrajet

Carb wars.....it's back .....sorry Liz
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
jojoman

i was just wondering what you guys thought about this one just ran into it so was just asking
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/
Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
i was just wondering what you guys thought about this one just ran into it so was just asking
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/
It's a remake of the Holley 4010/4011 which was a remake of the even older Ford 4100 autolite carb.

Holley discontinued these years ago, they never really caught on. Summit bought the rights to manufacture these with there logo. I've heard quality control is questionable.

Good price but if they were a great carb Holley probably would probably still be building them

My advise is stay with something proven, every has their opinion on which is better, and most has to do with brand loyalty or what they are running right now. Bottom line is all carbs have some good points and some bad points.

About sizing carb; any size 4barrel carb will run on any V-8 motor.....but they make different size cfm ratings for a very good reason. To large a carb, (especially square bore style) will result in less than optimal low to mid range velocity which equals less torque and horsepower where you want most it on the street (idle to 5500 rpm)

The exception to this is the spreadbore style which is designed to be a compromise of good economy and WOT performance...and when set up right can work well at achieving this goal. The small secondaries flow small cfm numbers at part throttle and result in terrific velocity....which is what you want (air fuel charge moving as fast as possible) This is why Qjets can get away with high cfm ratings 700-780. on a small block engine. So what's the downside to this seemingly perfect idea, it's the transition between the small primary and large secondary....dyno runs have shown flat spots or spikes in the torque /horsepower curve right at the transition. Is this a big deal for a non racing street engine ? maybe not.....some may not notice it.

This same size squarebore (750-800 range) on a mild small block is about 150 cfm more than optimal; an oversized squarebore style will have overly large primaries and have poor velocity at part throttle which results in less than optimum torque and horsepower at most street rpm ranges. Sure they will work and may run and sound fine, but your giving up average hp and torque numbers over the street rpm range.....vs a 600-650.

Use this cfm calculator and you may surprised at what is the right size for your engine ....on (VE) efficency line , use 85% ...this is a good average for most mild street performance motors.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html
Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #21
jdheff1982

Dude, just go get the Edelbrock Performer 750 for $200 @ jegs. It is remanufactured and comes with all installation parts that a new one has. I have been running mine for about a week now and my 355 could not be happier.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...43#moreDetails
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #22
jojoman

its a air vale seccondarie whats the difference on that and a vaccum seccondarie plus every one keeps telling me a 750 is to big for my app
Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #23
jdheff1982

Vacuum secondaries run off existing vacuum to open them up. Mechanical is just linkage and more reliable.

Just do what you want to do. I bought the 750 because of the price. I mean, if you are just running a stock engine, then the 750 probably is too big, but that doesn't mean it can't be tuned for your motor.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #24
jojoman

so i got a question.I have a dist with no vacuum advanced this is what i got http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/85551/10002/-1
im trying to put this on my 383 will it work http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-83670/
right now i have a dp 650 mechanical holley what you guys think let me know before i hit the order button thanks oh and i just want to make sure this carb will work on my chevy 350 automatic trans since it says it has the ford kick down thanks

Last edited by jojoman; 10-11-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Carb good ....distributor no.....get the one with vac advance, even if for some reason you don't use it there about the same price.
If you are running an OD trans and or low numerical gears, vac advance will save gas, give better throttle response, keep plugs cleaner.

Here's the exception a high numerical rear gear and no OD .....this is what I run and my cruise rpm is over 3000 rpm at a fairly low vac reading so the vac adv would almost never activate, so I run a optimized mechanical curve and a fairly high 15-17 degree initial. I have the vac adv model MSD but disconnected the vac portion....even with an adjustable canister it rarely would do anything, because my engine and gearing combo rarely shows high enough vac.

Also, do you have a MSD box? 6a 6al 7 series ? If you don't have a box you need this one, ready to run MSD Ignition 8360 - MSD Pro-Billet Ready-To-Run Distributors vac adv.

If your running a Msd box ....this one MSD Ignition 8361 - MSD Pro-Billet Street Distributors vac adv.
This distributor as well as the one you noted above are dedicated to run only with external spark boxes ( they only trigger a signal.....and don't produce a current to energize the coil)

Last edited by RUSHNBOBO; 10-11-2011 at 08:45 PM.