The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
williamsboys

new to the site need some help

i have a 66 c-10 short step. its got the stock inline six in it now but will be rebuilding a 283 to put in it. i want the thing to run awesome and sound even better. im taking it to a machine shop to have it completely rebuilt. i was just wondering if there are any parts i should look into getting. also a good tranny to but up to it. any help would be great.
williamsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
erock805

Re: new to the site need some help

I would do an oil pump fer sure. You could put in a lopey cam, but it will change drivability a bit...but sound cool. Id get a 700r4 for an auto or a t5 for a manual.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
williamsboys

Thanks. i will look into to that. do you know how i could make my username not pink?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

It goes by the number of post and if you paid for a sub

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
williamsboys

ok.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

If you are having the 283 completely rebuilt, then there are several things you can do to improve how it runs. It all depends on how you are using the truck, what you expect from the truck and engine, and what your budget is. Is this a DD or just a fun to drive truck?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
williamsboys

Its just a toy. i plan on driving it on weekends and shows. yea its complete rebuild. i gor a quote to do all and parts for about 2k. we talked about a throty cam and boring it out. but i want to know about other parts. intake, carb, headers, distributer, just all the other things that go with it. in bout a week or two i will be butting a disc kit on the front with power booster. also what about a trans? thanks.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Budman56

well if it where me I would install a 700r4 trans, but they are kinda pricey. but you can cruise the freeway at a higher rate of speed without burning up your motor, thats assuming you change your rear end gear to somthing like 373.

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Most guys will tell you to put the $$ into a 350- cheaper to rebuild and more HP for your buck. Like Capt Fab said- depends on what you want to do. Take the 283 and put a set of 305 HO heads on it, but tranny and rearend factor into the equation as well.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would recommend staying conservative with the cam. I would say no more than 224* @.050 and lift .450-.460 max. As for some of the rest, an Edelbrock Performer intake, with a 500 CFM carb should work good. You will want a good ignition. A HEI distributor is a good and popular choice. Did that price of $2K include balancing the rotating assembly? If not I would recommend that if it is within your budget. I agree an OD trans would be a good choice whether it is an auto or manual.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
williamsboys

Thanks for the inputs. Do you think a 283 would be more of a money pit to get it the way i want it? Would it just be in my best intrest to get a 350? Would it be easier and cheaper to build up 350. Probly alot more options out there huh?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quite honestly it is cheaper for the parts to rebuild a 350. The machine work would be the same, but overall less to rebuild a 350. Plus you may be able to get slightly better MPG's out of a 350, depending on how it is built. A mildly built 350 is going to produce more torque than a 283. Torque is what it takes to get these heavy trucks moving. But then, some guys just like to be able to say they have a 283.

If I were going to spend $2K on an engine, I would buy a brand new Vortec 350 crate engine from GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsboys View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Do you think a 283 would be more of a money pit to get it the way i want it? Would it just be in my best intrest to get a 350? Would it be easier and cheaper to build up 350. Probly alot more options out there huh?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
bama63

before i would drop 2k on a rebuilt 283 try here http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P62C273.aspx and you get a new engine with a GM nation wide warranty and is covered for 3 years or 100,000 miles for $1,695.35 and all you need is a intake dizzy and carb and your good to go
Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #14
jocko

i fall into that category of liking the "idea" of having the 283 (or a 327, - or SOMEthing that could have come in the truck - or from the year +/- of the truck). I am lucky to have the original engine in it, so can't take that one out - but if starting from scratch and I had a 283 lying around.... I'd go for it. But I have to agree with CaptFab - it depends what you want to do - my 2 cents would be BASIC rebuild on the 283 for reliability, drop it in, then spend those hard to come by $ on the trans (700R4 or T5). The trans, although not as sexy as a hot motor, will give you more bang for the buck for driveability and performance than engine mods in my book - especially for a small block - unless of course you just go nuts on the motor and build a monster.

IF, however, you want a much stouter engine - the 350 will be cheaper, have more power and torque (for the same or less $) and also be cheaper to rebuild in the future.
And if you go this route, I would not go the T5 route - 700R4 better able to handle the power/torque of a 350, especially if it's a little warmed over.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #15
pdxhall

If you want to go with the GM crate engine option. This seems to be a good one. It's the one I'm going to go with. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12530283/
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is the Vortec 350 crate engine I mentioned.......hard to beat it for the money IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
If you want to go with the GM crate engine option. This seems to be a good one. It's the one I'm going to go with. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12530283/
Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
williamsboys

Ok. so ive been looking at the engines that are being mentioned and they dont come turn key ready. I just got back from cruisen the coast in bolixi ms and saw a vender there from denison texas, called gordons engine and machine shop that sells complete rebuilt and complete turn key motors. they have holley 750 on them nice intakes, distributers just everything is nice. i was really liking the a 327/375hp he had. Its 3500. if i was to but a new crate motor i would have to dump another grand on all the parts its missing just to get it going. whats yalls input on this motor. im saving up so no hurry. thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
jocko

hmm, that taint cheap, but you have a point. I thought you already had a 283 laying around, but I may have misunderstood.

I think this choice comes down to 1 basic question - do you want a modern brand new engine (i.e. more reliable and efficient, read that as better perf) or do you want a nostalgic 283/327 with a little oomph to it?

I'm in the latter category, but that's just me. And the oomph probably isn't going to be near what the 350 would/could give you.

$3500 seems steep to me, unless it is no kidding an original 375 horse 327 - which is a somewhat rare vette motor. If it's just an ordinary 327 decked out to 375 horse specs, then I think it's a little steep.

If your truck has no motor or an I6 you know you want to dump - then the 350 is probably the more reliable and worry-free engine. If you just want to have an older era v8, then 327 yee ha!

I wish my truck came with the 327, it was the first year for the option. If I were motorless at the moment, I'd seek an old block and rebuild a 327, but I enjoy that stuff - and not everyone does, nor does everyone have the time to do it either, and some are anxious to get their truck on the road. (I fall into the latter two categories... I like to rebuild old motors, but never seem to have the time and am always itchin to get on the road anyway). So, sounds like you want to get it runnin soon - so I think it still comes back to that basic question - Worry-Free or Nostalgic?

If you have a 283 laying around, I still think you'd come out ahead getting it rebuilt because you'll be able to use many of the accessories, carb, dizzy, etc etc. (but you could also use them on a 327 or 350 too... but I bet you WANT new stuff! Can't say as I blame you).

Decisions, decisions....
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
williamsboys

Yea. I dont have the 283 i was going to get it but i dicided to look at all my options. This 327 im looking at is super nice like i said its got it all from a comp cam to k and n washable air filter upgraded distributer and a msd ignition.

i would like to get it and a 700r4. Do you think i would need to rebuilt my rearend? Also i would have to upgrade my radiator. Like i said im also installing power disck brakes ive put new shocks all around front springs so i need rear springs.
any other ideals of what i would need to upgrade to handle a mean motor? How to you post picks on here?.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
jocko

When it comes to rearends, I make sure they have clean fluid, then let em go til they break. I wouldn't rebuild it unless there was a problem with it. It's just gears and axles, not much to rebuild - definitely falls into the "if it aint broke don't fix it" category in my book. It should handle a 327 with no problem. What it may not handle is aggressive driving habits(!), but it will let you know when it's had enough - and a rebuild won't prevent breakage, it'll just have shinier broken parts when it happens. A heavy duty replacement might handle the power better, but my pers opinion is a stock truck rear will handle a 327 just fine, even a 375 horse one. On the other hand - if you're not $ constrained, might be nice to add a posi unit to your rear....

With the motor decision made - I'd save the spare $ for the next big thing - the 700R4 you want. That's a good choice. Is the truck already an automatic? Other options abound if it's a manual trans truck that would allow o/d gear and still allow you to row your own if you're into that. I enjoy the snot outta my T5 conversion - but I also am a very big fan of the 700R4. At today's gas prices, and just for the fun of driving down the highway NOT at 4000 rpm... hard to argue with ANY kind of o/d trans these days, auto or manual. (ok, i might be exaggerating about the 4000 rpm, but it sure feels like it. Sounds like it's gonna be a great truck!

Back to the engine - if $3.5K is not an issue for ya, I would personally enjoy the 327 more than the 350 (or at least enjoy it more knowing it was under the hood). but with older engines, even professionally rebuilt ones, there's a higher likelihood of "issues" popping up. Recall the 327 will have a split rear seal, etc etc - whereas the new vortec will have a 1 pc rear main seal, just one less leaky opportunity. But I'd still do the 327 if that's what I wanted. I'm a big 327 fan, as you might be able to tell....
Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
williamsboys

Thanks man. Sounds like you really know your stuff. With a posi rear end would i replace just gears or whole axle? And about the trans its a standard right now. Stock 3 on the tree.

Also i hear ya on the price of the 327 its just like i said its complete key ready with nice parts and to see the prices of the new ones with out all the parts make me wana go with it.

Is your pick up on your profile? If so looks awesome. Cant wait to get mine done. I also have a 59 chevy but thats a project as well, cant get the holley tuned just right and it keeps popin and pinging when its runnin. Like i said whole nother project. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #22
gimmy 64

check out summit they have complete engines ready to go
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
jocko

for a posi setup, it is not necessary to install new axles (if you purchase your posi for the correct spline count axles), you just swap in the posi unit kinda where the spider gears used to be - you'd need to order one that is for your specific ring and pinion setup so you can swap them over to the new posi unit (if you intend to keep that ring and pinion - if you don't and want to change your gear ratio, now is the time to change your mind and do it all at once). This sounds easier than it is to do as you do have to pull the axles out a bit to get it all done - I'm NOT a rear end guy by any stretch of the imagination, all I know is I don't like to work on them and that's enough for me.

Here's my 2 cents though, personally, I wouldn't even worry about the rearend right now - just figure out what gear ratio you have so it can help you understand a little more about your truck for future reference, maybe drain the fluid and refill with new and call it a day.

A posi really isn't that necessary unless you intend to race (or if you live in snow country and are gonna drive this thing in bad wx or go mudding or off roading, etc). An open differential is just fine for day to day use. So, I wouldn't even worry about a posi as a must have until my 327/375 started causing only one tire to break loose!

And as for knowing my stuff... I do appreciate the compliment, but I will readily admit I learn something new on here every day, there are some real pros on here, I'm just a hobbyist, but I enjoy it! The more you do, the more you learn, so don't be afraid to dive in and ask any questions along the way - there are tons of experts on here that will always be able to help. Lord knows I ask enough questions on here...

Yep, that is my money pit in the profile pic. BIG fan of 59's - hope to see yours in the other section!

Last edited by jocko; 10-10-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
williamsboys

Thanks. How do i tell what gear ratio i have? Also how do i post pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #25
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

when i was a youngster in my 12 years old I was told 327 was king cheap HP RPM"s are king you can build a 327 to get up to 10,000 RPM's easy 327 have no torq a crate GM 350 4 bolt main brand new 1650.00 with warranty its a stock 350 brand new you get intake to oil pan and valve covers.with a 290 HP engine and with a good amount of torq
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote