The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

How To Disconnect Fuel Sender?

I broke down and ordered a new gas tank last night and it should be here in a couple of days but I have a few questions.

1) can I re-use the locking ring on it? I forgot to order a new one and if I don't have to order a new one that'd be good

2) how do I disconnect all of the lines from the sender? It's really akward to get up to the sender while the tank is in and I don't know how to disconnect the lines. Are they clamped on? If so how do I get them off?

3) should I get some anti-rust paint and paint it with it? I think it's just bare steel (got it from LMC) so I think I need to paint it

Thanks,
Michael
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
stroker87

Re: How To Disconnect Fuel Sender?

if the truck is lowered its a pain, you'll need to have it on jack stands

you have to drop the tank (hopefully its empty) then you can get to all the hoses and wires not all that hard but yes it is awkward but not all that bad hosed are clamped on sender plugs in and there is a ground wire on the tank if I remember right no special tools needed

you should be able to use your old lock ring long as you get it off with out bending it or any thing
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker87 View Post
if the truck is lowered its a pain, you'll need to have it on jack stands

you have to drop the tank (hopefully its empty) then you can get to all the hoses and wires not all that hard but yes it is awkward but not all that bad hosed are clamped on sender plugs in and there is a ground wire on the tank if I remember right no special tools needed

you should be able to use your old lock ring long as you get it off with out bending it or any thing
So I don't need to worry about disconnecting the lines until the tank is on the ground? That's a relief.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
stroker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
So I don't need to worry about disconnecting the lines until the tank is on the ground? That's a relief.
you'll need a floor jack to hold the tank you will only be able to lower it enough to get at the lines and wiring btw done forget to unbolt the fuel filler from the bed
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

You can used concrete blocks and pieces of 2 x 4s to support the tank before you disconnect the straps holding the tank in place. Remove the rear blocks first and let the tank hang down slightly on a rearward angel, then you can get your hand up there and work on the sending unit disconnection. You just tap on the lock ring tabs gently with a flat screwdriver and hammer. The lines just unhook.
Some remove the whole pickup box to get at the tank and sending unit, but you might get into trouble removing the bed bolts without damaging the mounting holes in the bed.
If you get a new sending unit it will come with a new o-ring and lock ring. If you get an aftermarket sending unit (Spectra brand) your gas gauge will move when you stop, turn, accelerate. GM/Delco sending unit will not do that, but it will cost about $150 instead of $40 for the Spectra.
Definitely replace all of the rubber fuel lines when doing this job.
You should be able to reuse your lock ring, as long as it it not rusty or bent up too much in the removal process. Your local auto parts store will have lock rings and o-rings, but I would stick with genuine Delco o-ring, since the Delco o-rings are shaped to fit the recession in the tank opening and the aftermarket rings are just plain round o-rings.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

Here are pics of the sending unit hookup, but mine has dual tanks. There is a ground wire screwed to the frame rail, so make sure you disconnect that.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
foamypirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
If you get a new sending unit it will come with a new o-ring and lock ring. If you get an aftermarket sending unit (Spectra brand) your gas gauge will move when you stop, turn, accelerate. GM/Delco sending unit will not do that, but it will cost about $150 instead of $40 for the Spectra.
My factory GM senders moved the fuel gauge all over the place when accelerating/stopping/turning. I'm not so sure it's just an aftermarket thing.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I don't think you will have enough slack in the fuel hoses to get it to the ground. Disconnect them from the fuel lines inside the frame rail, and let the hoses come down with the tank. Now is a great time to replace the fuel hoses. Swap the sender out with the tank on the ground, then reverse the process for reinstallation. You might also find it easier to unbolt the tank strap brackets from the frame rail, and swap them out on the ground. That's how I did mine, anyhow.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Your41Plague12

My original ones from 1983 don't move unless I have my foot into it. I've only heard this about aftermarket. Was yours a re-man?
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
stroker87

My stock one also moved but not "as" much as the aftermarket it can be annoying my cousin did the aftermarket and if you was low on fuel it was hard to judge in stop and go traffic
Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
hatzie

The last tank I bought had lock ring and seal.

You can damp the dash gauge internally with silicone gel.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote