The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
mobileortho

I need a compressor

So I've decided to take the plunge and paint my truck myself. Looking at compressors and need to know what size to look for. Found a decent 23 gallon on Craigslist for a good price. Will this do?

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
jocko

Re: I need a compressor

personally, I wouldn't buy a used one. I've always looked at a compressor as a long-term investment and have not been disappointed (so far at least). Again - thats just me - however, if you do buy used, I'd certainly buy a quality name-brand unit.

Size required depends on what you want to do with it. But size is not as important as cfm rating, etc. Size (as in gallons) really just affects how often the compressor will kick back on while you're using it. If you go small, it'll run almost constantly if you do heavy duty stuff.

To give you an idea - I have a 22 gal craftsman that will put out about 120 psi. I've had it for almost 25 years, still works great. I've painted with it, but mostly use it for air tools, etc. For painting, it's sufficient for regular old painting and should be just fine for hvlp. As for air tools, such as an impact wrench, for example - it'll kick on and run the pressure back up about 2 times during a regular 4-wheel tire rotation (with output pressure set at about 60 psi).

I would maybe like a little bigger vertical tank with a little more hp (forgot to mention, mine is 5 hp). BUT, it's lasted this long, and if it crapped itself tomorrow, I could not complain, it's been a great tool for all these years. Whatever you do, I do recommend installing a line filter/drier, will save your compr and tools over time.

Hope that gives you a starting point to compare what you need to what you're looking at. Good luck!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
mr48chev

That is probably too small to maintain an even pressure and volume at the gun. I know that all three paint guns I have use a lot of air.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
meter swinger

I got a 20 gallon and its not big enough. GO BIG. And like jocko said, buy a reputable brand. My devilbiss is great, just wish it was bigger. High rpm air tools will suck it dry.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Russell Ashley

Get the largest one you can afford if you want to run air tools like sanders, grinders, and maybe do some sand blasting. Those things suck a lot of air. Also the oil-less type make a lot of noise and from my experience don't last as long as a belt driven compressor. The price difference between a small one and one with a sixty gallon tank with a belt driven compressor isn't that much so that's what I would go for. Buy a good one now and you probably won't ever have to buy another one.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
parkwood

some good advice about a compressor on here from the guys.. cfm's are what you need to look for if you're going to use air tools, and paint.. Like the guys said get the biggest one you can afford and you'll be set for a long time... I've got the Sears 60 gal upright and it's served me well painting and using air tools..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Basically you're gonna use an HVLP gun - High Volume (CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute), Low Pressure. So you're gonna need a LOT of air and a 20-something gallon tank ain't gonna get it.

My old oilless compressor died a couple months ago and I wanted a much larger - I DON'T plan to paint my truck but I may primer it. I had pretty much decided on THIS one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60...sor-93274.html

But it was pricey for my budget and I kept looking and looking and finally bought the same unit used in great condition for $265 off of Craigslist. The deals are out there but you've gotta check often and have cash in hand when the ad comes up.

The used unit I bought:

PS: I agree with Jocko above about buying new; it's likely a lifetime purchase. I just couldn't afford to at the time and my existing compressor wasn't working. I may flip this one next year post-tax return time and buy a new even larger unit.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
mobileortho

Not planning on running any air tools, just painting the truck.

1950 3600

Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Yup, I understand. But HVLP guns use a lot of air volume and on a steady basis. The compressor you get is going to have to keep up if you're going to get a decent amount of continuous air. Having to stop spraying every minute or so to let the tank refill isn't gonna cut it.

These are the cheapo guns I bought and notice the pressure used is low, but 3+ (the touch up gun in the set -and you're not gonna paint an entire vehicle with one of those) to 7+ CFM is too much for a little 20-25 gallon compressor to continually provide.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx

Just offering my 2 cents. Maybe someone else will chime in with a different suggestion. PS: The more expensive guns just use MORE air.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
You will be surprised at what you use it for once you get a good one. I have a 2 stage 60 gallon Belaire and love it. I never need air no matter how hard its worked.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Warrens69GMC

SpeedAire compressor
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPE...E97?Pid=search

Grainger
Branch: 553
809 Middle Ground Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23606-4209
Phone: (757) 873-7600
Fax: (757) 873-3229
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
OKGMC4

I had a Craftsman 30 gal oilless that burned up in a year of non-stop running. I have a Speedaire 23 gallon that would never keep up with my die grinders. It was enough to paint with a gravity feed spray gun but did run more often. I now use a 60 gallon Kobalt compressor that has no problems keeping up. Ever. With any tool I put on it. The only problem I have is that when my air dryer blow down valve pops off I have to stop spraying for a second because of the massive pressure drop. So far has been no big deal. My father in law has built several cars with his Ingersoll 60 gal and it's been plenty. I'm guessing that a 60 gallon seems to be a better size for the do it yourselfer.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
jimig1

I bought a 60 gal Kobalt compressor about 2yrs ago and I wish now I had bought the 80 gal. It is good most of the time but when i was sand blasting the 80 gal would have been nice and using grinders it would kick on less.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

jimig,
I'm certain you're right but I stumbled upon a deal on a 60 gal. that was too good to pass on. I intend to run a standing blast cabinet too and a small siphon feed Sears blaster too occasionally. That's why I'm thinking I may resell the 60 gal for a bit of a profit and buy an 80 gal in the Spring.

I'm wondering if we scared off the OP with all this talk of a 60 or an 80 gal unit. They're expensive if you thought a 25-30 gal could work; and if you don't have the budget, you don't have the budget. We all can relate.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I'm wondering if we scared off the OP with all this talk of a 60 or an 80 gal unit. They're expensive if you thought a 25-30 gal could work; and if you don't have the budget, you don't have the budget. We all can relate.
Nope, still here taking it all in.

1950 3600

Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
jimig1

Quote:
jimig,
I'm certain you're right but I stumbled upon a deal on a 60 gal. that was too good to pass on. I intend to run a standing blast cabinet too and a small siphon feed Sears blaster too occasionally. That's why I'm thinking I may resell the 60 gal for a bit of a profit and buy an 80 gal in the Spring.

I thought that i'd save the ~$250 for the 60 gal figuring that i'd use that for parts. I'd say buy the biggest you can afford if you are going to be painting with it bigger the better it will say cooler and cause less water vapor in the tank(less chance of ruining your paint job).
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #17
jimig1

One other thing to think about is your electrical the bigger compressors will require 220V
MSRA Member

-George Carlin
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimig1 View Post
One other thing to think about is your electrical the bigger compressors will require 220V
Yep. I was looking at that. Don't have a 220 outlet in the garage and with the house being a rental, doubt if the owner would let me run one. I was hoping that the one I found would work if I took my time. Just looked a a 25 gallon with 5.5 hp, 7.4 cfm @150 psi. I had looked a a gun that was rated at: 6 CFM @ 30 PSI.

1950 3600

Old 11-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Yep. I was looking at that. Don't have a 220 outlet in the garage and with the house being a rental, doubt if the owner would let me run one. I was hoping that the one I found would work if I took my time. Just looked a a 25 gallon with 5.5 hp, 7.4 cfm @150 psi. I had looked a a gun that was rated at: 6 CFM @ 30 PSI.
5.5 hp on 110v? You ought to check that again before you buy it. That seems like a large motor for 110V. If it does say it will run on 110 check to see what amp circuit it requires.

I had a friend once who didn't want to make any wiring changes to his house so he made up an extension cord with a dryer plug on one end and dryer outlet on the other. He would unplug the dryer and use the extension cord when the wanted to run his compressor.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
OKGMC4

Is it an oilless? Usually a 26 or 30 gallon iron pump uses a 2 hp motor. Most electric motors switch to 220v or three phase above 2 hp. My oilless said 5.5hp on the tank but it took 15 minutes to air up. One of those would get you by in a pinch for paint if you didn't mind waiting while it runs. If you have to go 110v at least try to get one with an iron pump.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
5.5 hp on 110v? You ought to check that again before you buy it. That seems like a large motor for 110V. If it does say it will run on 110 check to see what amp circuit it requires.

I had a friend once who didn't want to make any wiring changes to his house so he made up an extension cord with a dryer plug on one end and dryer outlet on the other. He would unplug the dryer and use the extension cord when the wanted to run his compressor.
Ha ha, smart (or incredibly dumb?) thinking! I don't know which!

Hey, not to hijack, but I also don't have a 220v line to my detached garage, HOWEVER....I DO have my AC unit right next the garage; which of course uses 220.

Anyone know if I could just disconnect that 220, run the wires to a sub panel and then use two circuit breakers in it? One to run the AC unit and the other to run the 220v compressor I have? The existing AC unit lines run back to a subpanel on my household service as it is, so this would be a sub-panel-to-a-sub-panel situation. I'm no electrician, but I have wondered if this is ok? Any advice appreciated. - Dan
Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
dmack91

Quote:
Ha ha, smart (or incredibly dumb?) thinking! I don't know which!

Hey, not to hijack, but I also don't have a 220v line to my detached garage, HOWEVER....I DO have my AC unit right next the garage; which of course uses 220.

Anyone know if I could just disconnect that 220, run the wires to a sub panel and then use two circuit breakers in it? One to run the AC unit and the other to run the 220v compressor I have? The existing AC unit lines run back to a subpanel on my household service as it is, so this would be a sub-panel-to-a-sub-panel situation. I'm no electrician, but I have wondered if this is ok? Any advice appreciated. - Dan
Also not an electrician, but I have done a bit of elec. work on my shop. I would think it would work. The thing to watch for is what the amp rating/wire size going to the sub box is. I would think you would be ok, the only potential problem I could see is if the amp rating wasn't high enough to run both at the same time (you could coordinate around that though).

I am sure an electrician would blanch at my thoughts, but oh well.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

The difference between that 60 gallon and the 80 gallon is really not what makes it a better compressor. Most of your 80 gallons are 2 stage compressors. With the 2-stage compressors one piston pumps air into a second cylinder that further increases pressure. If you had a 60 gallon 2 stage like I do you would not even feel the difference between the 60 and the 80 gallon although there is more air in the 80 gallon tank the the difference would be slight. I bought a 60 gallon 2 stage for space (most 60 gallons are single stage) if I had the space I would have gone 80 (more choices and easy to find). A 2 stage does not work as hard and is very quiet. I can talk on the phone while my compressor is running and hear just fine. Stay away from those oilless compressors they are loud and do not last as long.

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-30-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
jimig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
The difference between that 60 gallon and the 80 gallon is really not what makes it a better compressor. Most of your 80 gallons are 2 stage compressors. With the 2-stage compressors one piston pumps air into a second cylinder that further increases pressure. If you had a 60 gallon 2 stage like I do you would not even feel the difference between the 60 and the 80 gallon although there is more air in the 80 gallon tank the the difference would be slight. I bought a 60 gallon 2 stage for space (most 60 gallons are single stage) if I had the space I would have gone 80 (more choices and easy to find). A 2 stage does not work as hard and is very quiet. I can talk on the phone while my compressor is running and hear just fine. Stay away from those oilless compressors they are loud and do not last as long.
2 stage compressor are very nice. The 80 gal that i was going to get was 2 stage. I totally forgot about that. When I was looking for one I didn't see any 2 stage 60 gal compressors
MSRA Member

-George Carlin
Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, without 220v, you're not going to get "big air". Sounds like what you've found may be the best available compromise.

If that's what you're working with maybe plan out your approach to spraying so you take on one fender, panel, etc at a time to minimize "waiting-on-the-compressor-to-catch-up" issues.