The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Handmedown

Confession

So I have a 72 c10 cheyenne super.My dad got this truck in 73, it was the newest and nicest car he ever had and he loved it. He died of brain cancer in 78 when I was 5. It survived my moms various boyfriends until I was eighteen and my mom gave it to me. I was a wild kid and drove it like it was a carnival ride, and did zero maintenance. When I was 25 in 2000 I wrecked it in the ditch, eight months later a valve stuck open and it was parked. I loved this truck and felt like it was a connection to my dad. It sat in a garage for over ten years while I straightened my self and my life out. Ten months ago I brought it home on the back of a wrecker, had the engine redone and suped up a little bit all I have to do is put it back in. Now that i have plenty off resources I keep buying parts to stall, I keep getting hung up on the small things, like cleaning the valve covers. Ive just realized recently I afraid of the emotion of the first start up. Im afraid it will bring back all the pain of my child hood and Im also afraid of all the pleasure of my teens and twentys. This truck is just a huge part of my life it feels a little overwhelming, thanks for letting me vent. It will be a sweet truck someday. Handmedown!
Handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Re: Confession

Just start it and fix stuff as it fails.

When you get overwhelmed, just put one foot in front of the other. That means fix the worst problem, then the less worst problem, then then next.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
lil hoodlum

In sounds like in some ways the truck is alot like you.

You resurrected yourself, now it is time to do the same for the truck.

You can do it! I would imagine that would make your dad proud.

We all have done some things when we were younger and not so smart. At least you have a second chance with this truck.

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
SMG

Good luck with this project. Sometimes I think the best restorations and motivation is an emotional or sentimental attachment.

Look forward to you sharing the photos with us.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
odog

Good luck with the restore. There isnt much in this life that is more satisfiying than fixing something that is broken, especially when that something has meaning to you. Fix what you can handle, take a break for awhile, then go back and fix some more.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Fire it up!!!!

Whatever the emotions,they're yours and they're real.At some point you will need to deal with them in order to be able to grow.The truck can be great therapy for both the past emotional stuff and now.It's a gift to still have something that meant so much to your dad.Just don't use the truck running as an excuse to become the same teen.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
70shortfleet

We need some pictures! Get the drive train in order and the rest will follow. If you need help with something just ask the board and you will get a response. Good luck with the project
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
bollybib

You are lucky in the sense that the truck hung around long enough for you to take possession. My dad died when I was only 9. At the time. he had two cool cars, a Crosley station wagon and a 51 Ford Crestliner. Much to my disappointment, both were disposed of long before I was of driving age. Good luck with your project.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Bert W

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Turn the key!
Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert W View Post
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Turn the key!
X2. Good advice
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Just think of the smile on the old mans face when you get it running!

I always think of my dad when Im working on my truck. He didnt buy it new, nor was it the only one he had from this era(he had about 12-15 of them), but this one was his favorite. I know he would be stoked to see what im doing to it and it makes me feel like its some kind of special mission Im on instead of just fixing up some old truck.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
americanmusc1e

I think alot of us have memories caught up in our trucks..... that may be the reason that we love them.... I always think of how un-practical my truck is.... it gets 8mpg on expensive 93 octane gas, its not really fast and pretty unreliable..... but after getting it from my grandpa, my Dad and I putting countless hours of work into it, driving it all the way through high-school and going crazy trying to build a super-truck after a painful break up, trying to impress countless girls which always failed, doing a little street-racing, and driving it most of the way through college......

I might get depressed about it ........and right now I can't afford to do anything more than take it out once every other weekend and drive it a little........ but I can't sell it.... it's a part of me now....

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #13
PAWS 72

Hand me down, haven't really been there but I know what your talking about. My father in law bought a 1972 brand new and we still have it.He passed away in 2000.He always said it was my son's.
Me and him started restoring it in 1999 and he passed in Feb. 2000.My wife said she would never sale it no matter the fanancial troubles we have.It is the only thing she has left of his. Me and her married in 1983.she was the only child.She still gets a kick out of driving it.
I drove the truck when ever I wanted to also.I show the truck alot now but i'm in the process of doing a total restore again now.She said last year that wanted to do a restore on it and her mother said she still had the money that her dad had put back for it.The only catch is she (mother in law) wants it back like it was when new. NO PROBLEM i said.Long story short he and i give it he.. alot but metal wise very good condition.No patching needed or bondo to straight dents out.
When you start it again you will not be sorry you did. When my wife gets her father on her mind she get's the truck out and just goes off by herself for a while.She is usually in a better mood when she gets back.says it makes her feels a whole lot better.It will you also.
Sorry for the long post folks. Jason
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Just keep working....your in a good place here with us.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
a_barth

I can definately relate my '83 Toy was my dad's daily driver since '85 and now gets me back and forth to work everyday. It has a lot of little problemsw but all you can do is take it one step at a time. My '70 4x4 was his first truck in high-school that he rolled, rebuilt, rolled again about 3 months later, broke his back and always dreamed of rebuilding. I have not made much progress on it in the 6 years since he died but have just continued to collect parts because when I do settle into that project I want everything to come out exactly the way I think he might have done it.
a_barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
big_al_71

drop the motor in and the rest will follow......

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
bmfm64

I have the same issue with an old BSA motorcycle I have hiding in the garage. I know what you're goin through. I'm not far away, just in Covington, if you need a hand dropping the motor in let me know.
bmfm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
tattoed71

let it set there. it will be there when ur ready. after 10 years u started but u may not be completely ready it takes time
tattoed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
70cst

I can associate with you to a some degree ...
For me when I drive the Circuit Rider it brings back all the good times of the past.

Get her on the road and relive the good times

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #20
Hezie

My Grandfather bought it new and I think of him every time I drive it.It takes time but you will get there.
Hezie is offline   Reply With Quote