The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
AntonioFL

Question about 3 on the tree manual columm.

hi there guys,

Well i am very close to buy a good 1966 Chevy C10, its not really bad and the price is not bad too i will post the pictures of the truck soon, but yeah things i been looking for the type of truck that i want is, 1st Small Fleetside Bed with 3 speed on the tree on the Columm cuz i love to be different than others and is fun driving it old school style lol .

Anyways so this is what the truck has , 327 Chevy small block engine, small bed fleetside, but 3 speed Rock Crusher transmission which is on the floor, jezzz sucksss man, now i asked the owner is it possible to put back the original style 3 speed on the columm ? He told me yeah, but I have to find the Stick for the 3 speed cuz he says he took it out and dont know where in heck he put it and it was 2 years ago.

Is it Real True i can get the 3 on the tree speed columm back to original style ? or its just the Owner trying to pull my a fast one on me so i can believe him and buy his truck ? i mean he told me he never touch the columm he only place the stick to the floor ? i dont know what to look if he remove something else from the columm to make it to the floor. He says is simple to fix that problem and bring back the 3 speed on the tree instead of floor as it is now.

Help guys, i dont know much about this but man im very willing to learn things everyday once i get my real c10 chevy truck .

OH yes quick question, from 1960 to 1966, all C10 are pretty much same style i mean the looks ? if not whats the difference on body style for a short bed fleet side and what year from what year its pretty same . thanks.

sorry for all this dumb questions but i will never find out if i dont ask.
AntonioFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Question about 3 on the tree manual columm.

It is likely to be a simple task reinstalling the column shift – if you can find all the parts. He probably left the shift levers in place that are part of the column and just removed the linkage and transmission shifting arms from there to the transmission. Most owners didn’t go to much trouble when removing the stock parts, they just wanted a floor shift either because it looked cool, or because they actually wanted to be able to shift the transmission without problems.

Factory column shifters are notorious for poor/sloppy operation.

The main differences in C10’s from 60-66 are as follows:

60-61 trucks have the early jet-pod or cat's eye hood. 62-66 have one like the image in my avatar.
60-63 have a wrap around windshield and a double hump dash.
64-66 have a conventional flat windshield and a different dashboard.
60-62 have an X frame with torsion bar front suspension
63-66 have an open ladder frame with coil spring front suspension.

Grilles and emblems are different between the years, but those are the main differences.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
jocko

If the seller left the original column shift intact (and just pulled the shift lever because he put it on the floor) then, yes, it's simple to get a new shift lever and re-install it. See here (#9 and #10 - about $40 total): http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=82

The bigger question is whether or not the seller still has the shift linkage from the engine compartment end of the column to the trans. These are not the same used for the floor shifter. If not, can probably recover them from a junkyard, but would be nice if he kept em.

If you have those two things: original column still there, just with the shifter handle removed, and the original column-to-trans linkage, then yes, it's easy to reverse it back to a 3-on-the-tree.

Check to make sure the mounting nub with drilled hole for the roll pin that retains the shift lever is still on the right side of the colunm and ask for the linkage (some folks went to the trouble to cut, weld, grind and fill the hole, but not many).

Here's some additional pics that may or may not help, but will help show what positions of the shift forks are which gears and some pics of the column end of things as well.

The pics are, in order:
1 - The column end (the shifter connection nearest the firewall connects to the forward shift fork on the trans - shifter connection nearest the grille goes to the aft connection on the trans).
2 - The shifter end of the linkage connections.
3 - Shift fork positions for 1st gear
4 - Shift fork positions for Neutral
5 - Shift fork positions for Reverse
In next post...
6 - Shift fork positions for 2nd
7 - Shift fork positions for 3rd

Hope that helps, good luck.
jocko
Attached Images

jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
jocko

2nd, then 3rd...
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Excellent input Jocko, thanks for sharing.

Also note you'll need those factory shift levers on the transmission. They are normally replaced with items from the shifter kit, which reorient the arms to point up instead of down. They only bolt on one way since the clamp bolt fits into a groove on the side cover spindle(s). In other words you can't just flip the aftermarket arms to point down because the bolts will have no groove to pass through allowing them to fit (unless you grind one in each shift shaft on the side cover).
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Excellent input Jocko, thanks for sharing.

Also note you'll need those factory shift levers on the transmission. They are normally replaced with items from the shifter kit, which reorient the arms to point up instead of down. They only bolt on one way since the clamp bolt fits into a groove on the side cover spindle(s). In other words you can't just flip the aftermarket arms to point down because the bolts will have no groove to pass through allowing them to fit (unless you grind one in each shift shaft on the side cover).
Thanks Mark, excellent point - I forgot about the likelihood of aftermarket shift fork arms - agree, that's a showstopper to have originals even if you have the other parts I mentioned.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
koda360

Yes, upper and lower bearings, and repaint... and a new rubber boot from a Jeep, that covers the "U" joint on bottom of column. Long as you keep track of how stuff comes apart, shouldn't take more than an hour or so.... not including removal and install from truck and paint...
1984 Big Bronco
2002 Durango SLT (Bride's Ride)
koda360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
1963c-10

Also...the muncie 3 speed is a mc318...the M-22 was the rock crusher and it was a 4 speed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
koda360

I rebuilt my column last year, and sense I have no desire for a 3 on the tree (not this build, anyway) I removed all the "extra" parts I could. Pretty sure I know exactly where they are too. They are from a '60, not sure, but should be the same...
1984 Big Bronco
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
joeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda360 View Post
I rebuilt my column last year, and sense I have no desire for a 3 on the tree (not this build, anyway) I removed all the "extra" parts I could. Pretty sure I know exactly where they are too. They are from a '60, not sure, but should be the same...
Koda360,

Can you tell me what you did to rebuild your steering column?
joeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Money Pit C-10's

I had the same problem when I bought my 66. It still had the original 3speed column and column shift lever (not installed). The only thing it was missing was the linkage/rods from the bottom of the column to the trans. My truck came with a crappy Hurst floor shifter that was pretty much under the seat. I bought another shifter and installed it and had the same results. Since I was unable to locate the missing linkage for the three-on-the-tree, I just swapped the 3speed for a 5speed. So if anyone needs a good complete original 3speed and column out of a 66, hit me up. I don't need them anymore. -Bill
Posted via Mobile Device
Money Pit C-10's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
jocko

Probably the main thing would be upper and lower bearings (available from LMC). Not sure how hard to install. I'm sitting on an automatic column that I plan to rebuild and I'll need new upper and lower bearings, at a minimum.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
dthela

have a 3spd rods and levers.
dthela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #14
AntonioFL

hi there, guys .. i went out to see the truck and man the guy done honestly some work to it, put up new gas tank, new gauges, few things he updated and replace. needs some doors for sure both sides , rocket panels as well, new hood but still an ok for now, i went underneath saw the frame and is pretty solid not bad at all really very good, is a wood floor too , the wood is good shape, just the sidewall of the bed needs some metal work and the gate as well. He told the owner before him he thinks is not the original motor i dont know really if it is too , but he says its a 327 chevy small block for a 66 c10 ? may be but i dont know if came with that type of engine for that type of year .

only problem is that he freaking change the shifter to the floor, man i love old school and love 3 on the tree is more original and cool for me probably cuz im in my 20's lol . but yeah he still wants like 2500 for it .. i will try to check it out tomorrow on the day time, i went out to see it at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthela View Post
have a 3spd rods and levers.
good question, i take a good look at that part, there is no 3spd rods and no levers the guy him or before him, got them removed.. so i was asking him if you still have them and he gave me a look like he dont have it and dont know nothing about it lol , i think it will be pretty hard to find those parts since he dont have it with him.
AntonioFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:59 AM   #15
rbar

When I bought upper and lower bearings for column in my '63, they sent me a brass bushing for the bottom, even thought the catalog showed a bearing. I ended up buying an actual reproduction bearing from a corvette supplier that is the exact same thing in the truck for the same year. I then gave that information to the truck vendor so hopefully they will stop pushing the brass bushing.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #16
jocko

rbar - that's good gouge - did you use the vetter bearing of the same year as the truck (or different)??
Thanks again - I've found one vendor that offers both - I previously mentioned LMC, but I THINK they only offer the upper bearing (or the lower) but not both. So will make sure if/when I rebuild my auto column to ask. I am end up using my auto column just for it's shifter collar - to weld it shut and make my 3-speed column look like a floor shift column - while retaining the 3-speed collar so I can always go backward to the original 3 on the tree - as I see here, some folks really prefer that! (but I sure like my T5 for now)
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
koda360

Think I got my bearings from Classic Parts, or The Truck and Car Shop.... Can't remember.
1984 Big Bronco
Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #18
Howard Hilscher

looking for a 3 speed floor shifter set up for my 66 , three on the tree is messed up, what would be a good set up with out speeding alot of cash
Howard Hilscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #19
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I'm not aware of anything fitting that option. You either buy a genuine Hurst shifter for a fortune and have excellent service, or pay less for one of the generic shifters and put up with the grief they offer.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #20
Howard Hilscher

you maybe right,it's Mr. gasket #7667A....or Hurst 501-0016, not sure on the Hurst number, still looking for help ????
Old 05-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #21
Howard Hilscher

I have the saginaw tranny, having very hard time finding the MR. GASKET # 7667A
Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #22
1963c-10

I may have a Saginaw shifter mount. Will look tonight and let you know.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
akqj9

You may find all the parts but have a hard time getting it to shift smoothly. I swapped my 3-on-the-tree for an S-10 5speed on the floor and love it. I don't know how much you will ike having it jam at the worst possible moment.
akqj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #24
Howard Hilscher

I bought a Indy Hurst 3 speed, it should work for me, and I was wrong I have a Muncie 3 speed, thanks foe every ones help..