The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Dmcinfo

Towing an Airstream-Would I Be Happy?

Would I be happy using a Blazer to tow my 1968 airstream globetrotter (20 feet from end to end) which weighs 3,000 pounds? I recently bought a 71 Blazer (350, auto, disc brakes) but it needs work before it's ready to try to tow anything. Before I sink a bunch of money into this project I would appreciate any comments especially from anyone who tows a travel trailer with their Blazer/Jimmy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
AlaskaMatt

Re: Towing an Airstream-Would I Be Happy?

I tow one of similar size but it weighs less, a little under 2k (1964 aladdin). I really had to get the whole truck back in spec before towing was safe. The whole front end, all bushings etc.

You definitely know it's back there. With your trailer coming in at 3k it might not be fun.

A weight distribution hitch would and sway bar would help a great deal, I don't have either of those, but knowing friends that use them and how much they help them I may invest in that in the future.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 12-17-2011 at 04:11 PM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

Pretty short wheelbase for a trailer that big. Make sure you have a good hitch and brakes. An anti sway setup would be a big help.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
AlaskaMatt

Here is a shot of my trailer. Assuming the link works.

Matt

My Website
Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
rsavage

Weight distributing hitch, anti-sway set up, electric brake controller, and heavier load range tires so the sidewalls don't flex as much will help with towing your trailer. The short wheel base makes it more "skittish" in cross winds or when being passed by a big rig but it will certainly tow 3000 - 5000 lbs set up correctly. We'll need pics of the set up!
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Dmcinfo

I currently tow the trailer with a Nissan Frontier W/126 inch wheel base. It tows fine. Was planning on a weight distribution hitch and definitely a trailer brake controller. When you say sway set up are you referring to a sway bar on the rear of the Blazer or additional "link" to the hitch. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dmcinfo; 12-17-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify.
Dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcinfo View Post
I currently tow the trailer with a Nissan Frontier W/126 inch wheel base. It tows fine. Was planning on a weight distribution hitch and definitely a trailer brake controller. When you say sway set up are you referring to a sway bar on the rear of the Blazer or additional "link" to the hitch. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was referring to the additional friction bar on the hitch.

FWIW as I mentioned I don't have a distribution hitch or even have trailer brakes for mine. It really tows pretty ok, just lets you know it's there in a crosswind or semi passing. I would still go with all the above advice for your trailer at 1000# more than mine. A buddy of mine towed a 5k trailer all the way to Alaska with his 72 blazer and said it was fine the whole way, just loaded it up right and had trailer brakes, I don't think I would try it though.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 12-17-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMatt View Post
I was referring to the additional friction bar on the hitch.

FWIW as I mentioned I don't have a distribution hitch or even have trailer brakes for mine. It really tows pretty ok, just lets you know it's there in a crosswind or semi passing. I would still go with all the above advice for your trailer at 1000# more than mine. A buddy of mine towed a 5k trailer all the way to Alaska with his 72 blazer and said it was fine the whole way, just loaded it up right and had trailer brakes, I don't think I would try it though.
I wouldn't try it without a distribution hitch either (on a short wheel base).

In my younger and dummer days (ehem...) I towed an open car trailer with a blazer, with a total weight of about 6,000 lbs. No distribution hitch.
Sure it tows fine, but the nose up attitude of the blazer made handling a bit twitchy and you really had to take your time. When it came time to hit the brakes hard though,,,guess what?
Front wheels lock up and no steering, and I even had trailer brakes. Talk about a butt puckering experience

I don't do that anymore, lesson learned The distribution hitch makes all the difference in the world. A must have on a short wheel base. It makes the blazer handle better, brake better, and overall control is improved.
I even use it on my full size 1 ton pickup truck. Anyone that does even a little amount of towing should have a distribution hitch. They don't cost that much.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

It's all about the wheel base when towing.....I've towed with my blazer alot.... it's great around the yard and for maneuvering but on the open road it sucks.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
dmwphoto

I dont think it is a good idea
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
old man jimmy

I've towed heavy trailers. But it's not fun., they love to sway, And the trailer wants to drive the truck.. Too short wheelbase for sure. For what it would cost you to even make it half way safe for the trailer, you could probably pick up an old suburban. For towing they are really hard to beat.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

I tow a utility trailer with mine as well as a 19 foot camper that weighs about 3500 lbs.

It's not really the weight itself that is a problem, as my truck could easily pull 5-6000 lbs. if I really wanted to. It's the tongue weight you have to be concious of.

Like mentioned, a weight distribution hitch is an ABSOLUTE MUST on a short wheel base truck like a blazer. That along with a brake controller and mine tows very nice.
I even ran into another guy that had a 72, back in the 70's he would tow a 26 foot camper with it, and went all over Colorado and Utah for years like that The crap people did back then is down right scary today I don't think I'd try that

I have a 28 foot enclosed trailer and I use the ole 79 1 ton pickup to pull that around.

Get yourself a weight distribution hitch for stability, and to keep the weight more evenly distributed over all 4 tires. Like the others have said, go through the truck and make sure everything is up to snuff, good tires, sway bars are a nice addition. Then go have some fun
Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
classicchev

All I would say based on my experience is never!! GOing sideways over a 2 lane bridge seeing the taillights of the trailer beside us with a 200 foot drop to a river is not fun. Its not like we were not set up for the trailer, just a collection of bad circumstances that ended up in a good situation.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
capev86

Quote:
All I would say based on my experience is never!! GOing sideways over a 2 lane bridge seeing the taillights of the trailer beside us with a 200 foot drop to a river is not fun. Its not like we were not set up for the trailer, just a collection of bad circumstances that ended up in a good situation.
what the heck were you doing to get yourself into that situation?!!

so tell us what happened...did you pull out of it or come to a stop? any damage? my guess (based on your profile pic) is you sold the trailer and slammed the blazer!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
rsavage

I have towed boats and trailers for 40 years with a variety of tow vehicles from S10 Blazers, a 71 30 series Longhorn, various regular pickups, performance pickups including a Ford Lightning and a Dakota RT, to my current Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel. My 23' Baja weighed about 5500lbs on the trailer. One of the best tow vehicles I had was the Ford Lightning. Short wheelbase, lots of power, and heavy enough to be stable. Now my Toyhauler weighs 6750lbs empty. Put a HD dresser and all our gear in and its close to 9000. That's why I need the diesel now. A 20 ft. trailer will weigh about 3000 lbs. No problem to tow it with your Blazer if set up properly.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #16
old man jimmy

I'm sure you're totally confused with the answers to your question by now. But your original post was "will i be happy" My answer in a nutshell is a diffinate no. You could pull a house with a blazer, but doing it in a safe way is a another story. Given the right chain of events they will never pull a trailer that big and be safe. Plane and simple. I've seen my trailers taillights in my side mirror more than once. They work great for a tent trailer, that's about it. You could be lucky, and get away with it for a long time. But I quit before my luck run out. This may sound hard, but if my advise can stop soneone from getting hurt, or worse, I can live with that.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
Firebirdjones

I can only wonder what scenarios and situations people are towing under if they think a short camper would become an issue for a full size blazer...
Especially since they make trailers nowadays specifically designed to be towed by most minivans, SUV's, and crossovers. My Jay Flight Swift SLX is designed with those intentions in mind with lighter weight (3,000 lbs loaded) at 19 feet. They get as light as 2300 lbs. A fullsize blazer with 1/2 ton suspension is surely more capable. With the right equipment, brakes on dual axles, load distribution, and now a 6.0 vortec engine, I can't even tell it's back there.

Not to mention the pop up tent style campers are actually much heavier. The lightest pop up camper on the lot was 4200 lbs. It was over 1,000 lbs. heavier than my full size 19 foot camper. Not to mention most pop ups are single axle, which tows horribly compared to a dual axle trailer.

Are you guys using trailer brakes with a good brake controller?? Are you using a nice load distribution hitch?? Is it a dual axle trailer for more stability?? Or are you simply driving too fast for road conditions?? I think more information is needed from those with issues for the original poster to make an informed decision. Just my thoughts....
Old 12-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #18
old man jimmy

This is a tent trailer, probably about 200 to 300 lbs. used to be able to pick it up. Not as comfy as a big trailer. But I use to take it places you could never drag a bigger trailer into. And that's what I bought 4 wheel drive for in the first place. If I got into trouble on mountain trails where I couldn't turn it around, used to just pick it up and move it around. Never been a compground camper.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
Firebirdjones

Yeah that's pretty dinky. You could tow that behind a civic What size wheels are those, like little 8 inchers?
The actual pop up campers are what I was referring to about weight. Those things are tanks. I guess with all the mechanisms required and moving parts, makes those things heavy. Like I said, even the smallest one on the lot (at that time) was 4200 lbs. That's before you load your stuff in. That would be like towing a full size 24' camper as far as weight goes. They are really making these campers light now, to the point I won't even look at a pop up anymore.

You sound like us, we like to hit the mountains around here, places a car can't go, which is why you see these 16-20' campers nowadays with a ton of ground clearance.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
K5Ken

The key here is would you be happy towing a trailer with your Blazer and I would have to say no you wont be happy till you get where you are going and unhook it.
K5Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #21
Firebirdjones

That key leaves out alot of variables though...such as...

I'm happy as long as I'm pulling the 19' camper.

I wouldn't be happy however with my 9,000 lbs. 28' enclosed trailer behind the blazer, I leave that for the 1 ton pickup.

Man's got to know his limitations