The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
themb2g

Roll Bar Pics

I am looking to buy a roll bar for my 72 DD. I wanted to see what people had done as I am planning on turning the blazer into a family ride and want to make sure everyone is safe in case of something happening. Is there anyone out there with a full roll cage that isnt too ugly? How about some nice 3" options for me to consider. I know the CST usually had a 2" option off of the wheel well between the front and back seat. Are there any that had a 6 point mount, 2 in front, 2 in middle, 2 in back? How does the top fit on with this, etc etc etc.

My secondary objective is of course to see pictures of everyoens blazer so i can steal ideas for my own project!

Thanks everyone

MB
themb2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
rsavage

Re: Roll Bar Pics

Roll bars were dealer or owner installed accessories. none were installed at the factory. When I bought my 71 a year or so ago, it had an aftermarket 6 point cage in it. It fit with the top on. I took it out and sold it before I started the restoration. I bought a 4 point from a board member which was a period piece off a Blazer. I do not know the make of the 6 point cage. It blocked the AC vents, the glove box door hit it and it was an ankle buster.
I have a photo that shows the front legs of it before removal

and another that shows the rear legs. It actually sold in a day on Craigslist

2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
themb2g

I have one that came with mine that is a 4 point, 2 in front, 2 in back. It likes to pinch hands. Reading your comment made me remember how much it likes to do that. (havent driven it for 2 years since i started restoring it.) I guess i will wait to see some other pics, maybe someone knows how to do a 6 point w.out the damage to passengers. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
rsavage

No it is a 6 point- two front legs, two middle legs two rear legs. The middle loop can be seen in the second picture.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Threadbaron

I am in the same boat on wanting a good Roll Bar in my 72. Here are some pics of a couple members (sorry dont remember which members) cage/frame mount that I liked. I do not want the 6 point cage but did like the 4 pt part of this one. I also wanted to mount them to the frame like the picture and not just to the floor. Hope this helps give you another idea of what can be done. Somewhere I actually had the dimensions of the 4 pt. Will keep looking if you are interested. I have not built one yet, just grabbing ideas when I could. Take care!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Threadbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadbaron View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
I have this same cage and its right against the dash pad. I cant open the glove box either... I'll probably sell mine in the summer when the top comes off again....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
themb2g

Nice pics. Looks like it still blocks the AC vents in the front. Thanks for the pics and ideas!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Threadbaron

Yes it does block the vents. I was only wanting the back "4 pt" part of it. I really like the way the bar is attached to the frame. I don't have experience in using them but would think that a 4 pt mounted like that (to the frame) would be safer than a 6 pt mounted only to the floor. I also like the look of the 4pt because I want to run without the top and like the open area over the drivers seat. I guess it's all about what you want and how much (space, vent blockage, etc.) you want to give up to get it. Good luck in getting there! Like I said, I have still not had one made yet and ran topless all last summer. I don't take it off roading so I am ok for now.
Threadbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
themb2g

Decided on a 4 point. Now i m wondering about a possible cage/safari type 4 point that covers the rear seat/ cargo area. anyone seen anything like that in a Blazer? Also, does anyone know a good manufacturer for 72 Blazer roll bars? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
NorCal69

Here are a couple of pics of the cage that I'm working on.