The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
vectorit
What?

Help with '70 SB pulleys/belts

I just got through converting the '70 K10's 350 from long pump to short, which had a bunch of issues with mix matched parts.

I put on a new short pump, moved alternator to driver side, and replaced power steering pump and brackets.

Can anyone tell me if my alternator bracket is wrong, either type or the way I have it bolted to the head? Since it does not line up with any of the pulley's on the water pump or crank, pretty much a whole groove off center from the one I need to use.

I got all the parts from the same engine out of a '70 truck:
Crank pulleys
Power steering pump and brackets
alternator lower and upper bracket

On the alternator, I only have just under an inch of adjustment on the upper.
I am thinking it may be because of the Edlebrock aluminum valve cover being to tall? (I plan to replace them with OEM tin).
The power steering pump pulley lines up almost perfect, but not 100 percent and will probably cause a problem down the road?

I purchased belts according to the book, and the alternator belt was way long but the power steering belt is right. If you have the part number for the belt you use on your same set up, let me know what it is and where you got it.

Trying to get the truck ready for next weekend, so I am in a bit of a pinch for time if I need to get parts.

Thanks
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Psychdave80

Re: Help with '70 SB pulleys/belts

I had the same problems I ended up buying another set of pulleys from a board member to get mine right, the only thing I can think of is, shimming the alt I did with some washers inbetween the bracket and th heads I also had the same belt problem I took it back and the counter guy found me a shorter one not sure on the part number hope this helps some also my ps only oes off the crank pulley not the water pump pulley I may be just me but that water pump looks like a long pump cause on mine the 1st pulley groove on it lines up with the 1st groove on he crank pulley it looks like yours lines up on the next to last or3rd groove on the crank

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Psychdave80; 03-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Psychdave80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Re: Help with '70 SB pulleys/belts

I think you are right about the PS belt, didn't think about that till ya mentioned it.

The water pump is definitely a short pump, just an optical illusion I suppose.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote