The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
byeoficr

frame question

I'm not new to the square body world and I'm trying to get back in. I have found a possible project truck. the lady I'm buying it from got into an accident 4 years ago and parked it after a mechanic told her it would cost six grand to fix. she hit a tree at 20mph. the corner of the front bumper and the fender took the brunt of the impact. the tire hit the tree next and cut it down. she replaced the tire and she cant remember what else I'm assuming the tie rod. she never had it aligned she just replaced the tire and drove it home. she said it rode rough on the way home so she parked it. the mechanic told her the frame would need to be straightened to make it ride right. my question is do you think that hitting a tree at that speed would bend the frame that much? i can't see any frame damage except for the bumper mount. I am thinking it is something else making a rough ride maybe a bent rim with no alignment. just trying to get an idea if i should buy it for a grand or pass on it. thanks.
byeoficr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Re: frame question

I have an 87' with a same type of hit....Mine however the drivers frame forward of the steering box is bent inward slightly. If you open the hood and look down at the frame and compare it with the other side you should be able to see if its out...Mine is...I checked and to get the frame straighten is fairly easy..Being that old it probably needs new tie-rods and ball joint anyway. Check the lower a-frames for curb damage. You also might have a bent spindle ?. If the truck is in good shape go with worst case and add that to the price and see if its worth it...My 87' is a full load Silverado so I thought so...
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
bowtiemanchevyman

Re: frame question

if the body, motor, interior and drive train is good buy it. like the other guy said replace the drive side front end. most guy replace it with some new stuff to lower them or make it ride better so its not that big of a deal. plus you can just go to a junk yard and get one off a different truck for cheap to.
bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote