The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
UFOtestpilot

New poster with a question on a '67 purchase

I've been checking out the trucks and threads on this site for the last 5 years or so while I planned to find the perfect 67-72 truck to start with. I have had such a tight budget with a home purchase and other toys taking up most of the extra cash that I haven't found anything I wanted to make a move on.

That is until my dad's friend decided he wasn't going to fix up his old truck.

It's a 1967 long bed with 3spd on the tree and the OD option. It has 105,000 miles, a 283 rebuilt 23,000 ago, three dents total, some surface rust among the numerous chips/scratches in the old original paint, and the interior is worn and in need of repair. The original bed wood is there but is checked and split. Zero cancerous rust or even a hint of the like anywhere on the truck.

I already know what I'm prepared to pay for the truck but I'm curious what some other folks have to say regarding the current (ish) market for these trucks.

I am looking to change the suspension with bolt on components only, 5 lug disc conversion, and swap an AT into it. So I'm not going stupid crazy on a "Build" or anything. I just want a clean, solid, DD truck.

Thanks to all for the inspiration and insight shared on this forum.

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 03-20-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Changed the title a bit.
UFOtestpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: New poster with a question on a '67 purchase

yup thats how I started on my 67, just an auto tranny and a v8, I told myself "nothing else" now here it is 12 years later..... bagged suspension, another auto tranny, rear end swap 5 lug disc new interior,.........blah blah blah.......
sounds like a good start man.
we looooovvvvvveeeeee pics so lets see it. then its alot easier to ballpark
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
MrSchaeferPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot View Post
I already know what I'm prepared to pay for the truck but I'm curious what some other folks have to say regarding the current (ish) market for these trucks.
Do you mean what's a good price for a truck? Or the demand for the trucks, or parts prices, availability?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
UFOtestpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
Do you mean what's a good price for a truck? Or the demand for the trucks, or parts prices, availability?
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I mean the value of the truck. I realize that this is subjective and depends on what it is worth to the buyer. The parts availability and pricing I'm up-to-date on though I will undoubtedly have questions concerning a few specifics once I have the truck here.

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 03-20-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: fixed
UFOtestpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
michael bustamante

Wow no rust on the rockers!! Nice find. I like the way the striping matches the dog dishes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would say that truck is easily worth $2000 to about $3500.Body/paint is usually one of the most expensive parts of a build.That truck looks like it would e easy t get the body right on.The engine is good and the rest is fairly straight forward.Better jump on it if it's priced right.

BTW It may be worth more but from a pic that's just a semi educated guess.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot View Post
.....I am looking to change the suspension with bolt on components only, 5 lug disc conversion, and swap an AT into it. So I'm not going stupid crazy on a "Build" or anything. I just want a clean, solid, DD truck.

Thanks to all for the inspiration and insight shared on this forum.
Famous "Last Words" on this site. My truck was going to be a daily driver. Then, dad died. Got some money. Made a plan long before his death, to paint it. At the time, the flat black thing was going strong....hot rods are my passion, but never fulfilled. Then, the realization that the same prep goes into a nice flat paint job, that would go into a nice shiny paint job. Originally, my truck was black w/black interior. So, back to black. Almost 5 years ago, it went into paint shop pergatory. Now, it is completely disassembled and in three different locations. Guess what? It all started with the conversion from drums, to front discs....and a 2.5/4.0 lowering. Then, it got a set of 8 and 10-inch wide wheels...powdercoated. Then, dad died and it got blown apart.

Good luck on your project. They all start out with a plan....and then, the plan changes.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
MrSchaeferPants

Yup I'd pay $2k for that. I'm a cheap bastard, but the average person $2-3k no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
Wow no rust on the rockers!! Nice find. I like the way the striping matches the dog dishes
All of the Above
Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
UFOtestpilot

I am planning to offer $2500 and willing to pay $3k, I just wanted to bounce my thinking off of somebody. It's my dad's friend so I'm not trying to haggle him out of cash I just want to offer a fair price within my budget.

As for the projects that never end, I understand how that goes all too well. I know that I would love to have the Hotchkis TVS setup and a sweet motor/trans combo. For now though, I really need to look at the truck 5k or less. I have family with a body shop and full booth and I intend to "seal" it with some decent paint next summer. I am open to going crazy on it "some day", it just ain't going to be very soon. I look forward to posting as the owner of this truck within the next month as our house closes on April 16.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Offer 2 and go up.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote