The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
LoudLowNslow

Front bags only?

Stillnlooking to get my stock height 66 gmc down. Rear leafs.

I was originally going to static drop, but now I'm thinking of bagging the front.

What's my cheapest way to bag the front only? Preferably a bolt-in affair, as I don't have a welder.

I figure after I get the front bagged I can decide on if I want to flip the rear axle, or pull leafs and do lowering shackles.

Any links or advice will help! Thanks guys -Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: Front bags only?

Bags with schrader valves would be the cheapest option since you wouldn't need a compressor/tank/valves/etc. You can get cups and plates to mount the bags without any fab work.

Here's a shot of my crossmember (upside down) with the bag mount plates installed. The lower mounts are cupped shaped to fit in the spring pocket.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
LoudLowNslow

Who's got The best price on bolt in bag brackets?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
losthope

Just beware with the front bags and bolt in brackets it doesnt get you very low, unless you modify the lower control arms which requires a welder.....but i dont know how low your trying to go in the front but my truck was lower with cut coils, then i bagged the truck with bolt in brackets and it raised it higher.....here is a picture with the front bolt in bag brackets:

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudLowNslow View Post
Who's got The best price on bolt in bag brackets?
Take a look in our Vendor or Suspension Marketplace for deals from our Forum Vendors.

It sounds like your trying to cut corners on your build to save money. There nothing wrong with that unless you compromise quality work and reliability. I DO NOT recommend running front bags on Schrader valves as a driver. If you loose air while driving, you can be left stranded. That type of cost cutting is what gives air suspension a bad rap.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
LoudLowNslow

I wouldn't run bags on Schrader valves.. Too risky and I'd like to be able to air up/down. Any idea on how much getting the LCA's done would cost? Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudLowNslow View Post
I wouldn't run bags on Schrader valves.. Too risky and I'd like to be able to air up/down. Any idea on how much getting the LCA's done would cost? Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

check out my build. i had a temporary ball valve setup and also bags with no drop spindles. i have my valves, switchbox, tank and compressor now and im in the middle of running the system without ball valves. in the begining i had about $100 in the bags, $34 in the plates, $30 for airhose, $50 for push to connect fittings and 15 bucks in ballvalves. plug in air compressor from autozone. it would take 1 min to air up to ride hieght. open a ballvalve and it airs out. i just spent the $500 to do it with the electric valves and switchbox and rear bags....i used the ballvalve setup while saving up for everything to "do it right"
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
LoudLowNslow

I was hoping the front would be able to get lower than those pictures, what is needed to be done to get lower? I have a friend that can weld if it's not too complicated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
theastronaut

If you want to go low, using with a bag that has a smaller collapsed height helps. I've got AirLift D2600's and they're too big to use just cups and plates, and still be low. D2500's would be a better choice since they're shorter when they're collapsed. One option is to "cup" the lower control arms by cutting out the stock spring pocket and fabricating a dropped surface for the bag to bolt to. That gains 2-3" of room for the bag to drop down into the lower control arm.

Photos are from Daverod.

Here's a pic of my '66 with the springs removed. You can see how little room there is between the upper spring perch and the lower control arm. Cupping the LCA's makes more room for airbags at full drop. Just make sure that the fabricated cup leaves plenty of room so the bag doesn't rub anywhere.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

That going to be a local thing, so I can't really say. You can run short cups and spindles in your stock arms and get pretty low too.

If it were me, I would static drop the front with spindles and cut a coil. Since your rear is leaf, I assume a flip will work. Once you can afford a simple air suspension add that later.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote