The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
FrankieD

What are you guys doing for Security

I have seen a few guys saying that their rides have gotten riped off so I was just wondering what is the best. I'm thinking a hidden kill switch. Is there anything made for something non-electronic?
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
jocko

Re: What are you guys doing for Security

hidden kill sw is probably the most popular. Have seen some use the cig lighter as a circuit interrupt - pretty cool. Battery cutoff is also useful under the hood and simple, might slow someone down, but not for long. (hood lock or inside release is a nice investment) Some just take the coil wire with them. Can be defeated by swapping a plug wire though.

Non-electrical, only thing that comes to mind is one of those annoying steering wheel bars. One thing I considered was drilling a hole in the parking brake mechanism so that once it's set I could insert a padlock so it couldn't be released. Clutch and brake pedal mech locks/bars are useful, but not if it's gonna be towed away.

Personally, I prefer the good ol kill switch, and usually more than one. But wherever you think you're hiding it - that is where a thief will look for it. I'd prefer about 10,000 volts to wack em when they sit in the seat, but that's probably "illegal" (we have to do all we can to protect the guilty these days, ya know...)

Anyhoo - maybe some ideas in there. If you search for anti-theft on this site, I know I've seen some previous threads.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

I just keep mine in a perpetual state of "restoration"....meaning it's in a 1000 pieces in my shop! Beyond that fuel pump and/or ignition interupts are simple deterrents, but a determined theif WILL get your ride regardless of what you do.
I'll probably run an RFID (keyless) entry and ignition- even then it's not 100% theft-proof!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
FrankieD

I like the kill switch and the a$$ zapper but the perpetual state of "restoration"....not so much. Keyless entry sounds pretty cool, I was thinking of maybe a trunk Monkey.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
RRR18

In my most honest opinion....if they want it bad enough ain't nothing gonna stop em from takin it.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
50bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR18 View Post
In my most honest opinion....if they want it bad enough ain't nothing gonna stop em from takin it.
Unless you put a Black Mamba in there cab.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I live where I don't have to worry about it. I don't really go anywhere I have to worry,either. But,yes,it can happen anywhere and I think about doing a hidden battery disconnect. I hate alarms and such. I also feel they give a false sense of security because professionals figure ways around them as soon as something new comes out. Disabling the electrical system from a random location takes valuable time thieves don't like to take...in most cases. Never park where a rollback can drag you up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
... I hate alarms and such. I also feel they give a false sense of security because professionals figure ways around them as soon as something new comes out.
Every time I hear a car alarm going off, there's six people standing around (usually myself included) laughing that some guy's car alarm is going off. That's included a cop on more than one occassion.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
FrankieD

I saw where one was taken from the guys driveway. I was maybe thinking a boot clamp but hook or a roll back won't have a problem. At home it will be in the garage at night and don't plan on taking it on shopping trips so I will be with it or it will be in line of sight at most times. The main place I worry is at work where I am 9 stories up and no windows. I remember years ago of some kind of lock that went on the brake peddle.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Michael Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
I saw where one was taken from the guys driveway. I was maybe thinking a boot clamp but hook or a roll back won't have a problem. At home it will be in the garage at night and don't plan on taking it on shopping trips so I will be with it or it will be in line of sight at most times. The main place I worry is at work where I am 9 stories up and no windows. I remember years ago of some kind of lock that went on the brake peddle.

Amazon.com: The Club Brake Lock Vehicle... Amazon.com: The Club Brake Lock Vehicle...
Michael Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
74 stepside

From my personal experience, I had a Mazda truck 20 years ago that had a steering wheel club on, Viper alarm on, parked in a lot with a sequrity guard in a golf cart during the day. Still got stolen. If a car thief wants it bad enough they will take it anyway. Then had a 92 dually with a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump. They broke in thru the camper shell and they couldnt take it. That was in a home depot lot during the day. If you dont have an electric fuel pump, you can use an inline valve in your fuel line to close when parked. Thats my 2 cents...
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Lee H

LoJack. Once a ride has a nice drive train, fresh paint, interior, tires and wheels, etc, the cost of LoJack with early warning is peanuts. I am seriously considering it once paint is done.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703

Last edited by Lee H; 04-02-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Coley

I have 2 'layers' of theft control on my truck. I lost a great truck 15 years ago in Toronto to a thief....and it was my own fault for not having any theft control on it..and I still miss that machine!!
One thing about stealing a classic vehicle is that a lot of people notice the vehicle if it is nice and you just can't park it on a side street without someone seeing or noticing it. It becomes a liability pretty quick. So the odds of blending in are not great.
I'm thinking of adding a gps on my latest truck and perhaps one other quiet precaution....heh, heh.
As well and in my opinion one of the best ways of keeping the vehicle from being stolen is to have it start...but only run for approximately 5 seconds. At that point, 'noise' has been made and the vehicle may have been moved slightly from its parking spot. To a thief a 'stall' at that point gets a couple more seconds of starting effort then he bolts. He won't stick around to quietly troubleshoot theft control systems....just my two bits on this.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 04-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
DaBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I have 2 'layers' of theft control on my truck. I lost a great truck 15 years ago in Toronto to a thief....and it was my own fault for not having any theft control on it..and I still miss that machine!!
One thing about stealing a classic vehicle is that a lot of people notice the vehicle if it is nice and you just can't park it on a side street without someone seeing or noticing it. It becomes a liability pretty quick. So the odds of blending in are not great.
I'm thinking of adding a gps on my latest truck and perhaps one other quiet precaution....heh, heh.
As well and in my opinion one of the best ways of keeping the vehicle from being stolen is to have it start...but only run for approximately 5 seconds. At that point, 'noise' has been made and the vehicle may have been moved slightly from its parking spot. To a thief a 'stall' at that point gets a couple more seconds of starting effort then he bolts. He won't stick around to quietly troubleshoot theft control systems....just my two bits on this.
Coley
Years ago the auto parts store I worked at sold a theft deterrent called the "Jacobs Stop Action" that used a similar idea. It would allow the vehicle to run (i think) 30-60 seconds then kill the ignition.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
haysonj

I have the Crime Guard alarm but like said I've seen too many going off and no one cares. They would have to tow mine as it would take to long to figure it out. No battery under hood, Hidden hood latch. hidden switch for the FI computor. but the main thing I have is a good replacement insurance policy. Will pay up to $45,000 if not recovered.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Ryan Hubbard

I don't even lock the doors on my truck. My truck is insured "stated value" and if anything happens my insurance company just writes the check.
Ryan Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Dunenutt
Newbee

This locks the hood, and kills the ignition with one push. Seems to work good on mine.

http://www.megatronixusa.com/product...tems/hl/hl.htm
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
DaBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
This locks the hood, and kills the ignition with one push. Seems to work good on mine.

http://www.megatronixusa.com/product...tems/hl/hl.htm
Do you have any pics of it installed?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigKahuna View Post
Do you have any pics of it installed?

Here ya go!
Attached Images

Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
David67

Thanks guys I read this yesterday and had nightmares last night...

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

IG: david_r67
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
bubbaj

I have a quick disconnect steering wheel I look like an idiot toting a wheel around but I figure if you can't steer it you can't steal it
Posted via Mobile Device
bubbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
VA72C10
VA72C10

I agree on lojack and also many have mentioned using a cheap prepaid phone with GPS...keep it charged up and under the seat and you can track the vehicle that way...
Old 04-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
webfoot

I keep mine looking shabby and unwashed. I think I just described myself, too.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
VWBeamer

My 68 stepside was stolen and I think I lost 10 lbs until I found it two weeks later. Lucky they just took it for a Joyride and only damage was the wiring harness.

IMHO, a GPS tracking device is your best bet, Several brands out there and setup is about 100-200 . Looking at this for only 169.00, http://www.tracking-devices-pro.com/

A friend of mine runs a Buy here Pay Here car lot, and uses GPS on every car he sells. He said he only had one car he could not find since he started using them. He usually calls them in for a free Oil change or some other BS if somebody actually does finish paying for the car, and then takes his tracker back.

The key is to make sure the device is well hidden.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
don t. - 72gmc

I bought a 76 grand prix years back. The owner drove it to Chicago for work. It was in above average shape, was selling for gas mileage reasons. While driving home I was playing with all the toys, noticed the hi-beam switch would work but no bright lights. Got home w/o no problems. Hour later went to start the car, no start. Cranked fine but would not fire. Called the guy, just a bit upset. He then told me he used his hi-beam switch on the floor as a cut-off. Press the switch once, car fired right up. Pressed it again, car continued to run fine, but shut if I shut if off had the same crank/no fire thing. He said it prevented 2 theft attempts. Since im not an elecetrical minded person, I really would like to know how he did it.

HTH...don t. ....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote