The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Rear Air Bags for Dummies

OK,
I have been searching and searching through the forums for pics and how to instructions, so to speak.
I am not into frame scraping lowered trucks and this truck is not going that route but I have zero experience with airbags.
Here is what I am doing.
This truck will be for my wife.
She wants it to sit lower than stock, have fat hides out back and have a "lopey" idle like my trucks and cars have.
What I have,
Stock frame 63 Chebby so I have coils now. I am squeezing 18.5" tires under this truck and the wheels I found will have the tires rubbing on the springs. I would like to give her a decent ride quality and get her to handle so coil over shocks are pretty much out.
My neighbor has talked a lot about air bags with shader valves and it sounds like an option that could work well. They are apparently small enough in diameter to clear the side walls so here are my questions.
1-Photos of installations?
2-suggestions on what to use?
3-Best place to find parts?
I am not interested in C notching or adjustable ride height. I want to set this and go..... simple and minimum maintenance.
I am also using the 3" wider fenders on a step bed.
I know there is a mountain of people in the know here... any words of wisdom?

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Rear Air Bags for Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC
My neighbor has talked a lot about air bags with shader valves and it sounds like an option that could work well. They are apparently small enough in diameter to clear the side walls so here are my questions....
A properly spec'd air bag that is installed in place of the coils will be similar in diameter as the coils. I'm wondering what bag he was referring to?

As far as installing them.....
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=129463
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
A properly spec'd air bag that is installed in place of the coils will be similar in diameter as the coils. I'm wondering what bag he was referring to?

As I said, I have no airbag experience. As far as "properly spec'ed" air bags, The bed so far is a little over 100 lbs lighter than a stock bed. Not running a wood floor.
Who or how is an airbag spec'ed to a project?

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:

Just caught that link you posted... thanks.. the more info the better

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If he's referring to a narrow diameter bag, I might assume something like a Firestone Sleeve bag or similar. They don't bellow out like many bags; which is both good and bad. It maintains a narrower profile to squeeze in those bigger tires without rubbing. They often aren't considered as strong, but take into consideration the usag for what you would want, they may work out well.

You could also run a "helper" air bag setup, the kind summit or the type would carry.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
tincan1966

My first air bag suspension was made up from an Air-Lift over-leaf kit from Amazon.com, for about $250 shipped to my door. You can modify the plates that come with the kit, and it has air lines and schrader valves.
The bags are very similiar to the D2600 style bag alot of people seem to use, and about 1-1 1/2 smaller diameter than the stock rear coils
Just my 2 cents worth.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
66-PMD-GMC

I have to get out there and bolt the wheels on to take a look but the sidewalls are about a 1/4" from touching the springs installed.
Any movement of the frame will have the tires in contact things they shouldn't.
I also need to check the trailing arm clearance.
I am trying to use parts I have but I may need to rethink the tire selection possibly.
I will try and get a couple photos to post but I thought bags smaller than the springs would be the answer.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Bag diameter and type is dependant on 1. load 2. available room 3. amount of travel 4. amount of air you have available.

In a "play" bagged setup, where you intent to drop and lift alot, it helps to run as much bag as you can fit.
In your situation, the bag wouldn't be the "main" suspension component, as you'd still be keeping either the spring (and running the bag as a "helper) or keeping the shock for dampening. The sleeve-bags are fine for that. Your other option could be something like a Shockwave,which is sort of like an air-can. Its half shock and half bag.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
In your situation, the bag wouldn't be the "main" suspension component, as you'd still be keeping either the spring (and running the bag as a "helper) or keeping the shock for dampening. The sleeve-bags are fine for that. Your other option could be something like a Shockwave,which is sort of like an air-can. Its half shock and half bag.
From what I read in his initial post, the intent is to replace the existing coil w/a bag. The 6"-6.5"/~2500# bags are typically what is spec'd for a 63-72 truck arm application (ex: Firestone 6781 3" min height, 4.5-5" @ ride height, 7" max height, 6.5" dia).

The F9000 series Firestones could prob get the job done since it doesn't appear that this thing is going to be a work-horse (F9000 4.5" min height, 9-9.5" @ ride height, 12" max height, 5" dia).

The question will be the difference of installed ride heights & if things can be dialed-in to where he wants it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
From what I read in his initial post, the intent is to replace the existing coil w/a bag. The 6"-6.5"/~2500# bags are typically what is spec'd for a 63-72 truck arm application (ex: Firestone 6781 3" min height, 4.5-5" @ ride height, 7" max height, 6.5" dia).

The F9000 series Firestones could prob get the job done since it doesn't appear that this thing is going to be a work-horse (F9000 4.5" min height, 9-9.5" @ ride height, 12" max height, 5" dia).

The question will be the difference of installed ride heights & if things can be dialed-in to where he wants it.
This truck will be a fun driver for my wife.
The heaviest thing that will see the inside of the bed would be groceries at best.
She likes the snap on bed cover so knowing her, not even daylight will see the bed floor once done.
I am modifying a 67-72 steel floor to work with the step side bed and sit on the 63 frame.
She wants her ride height lower than stock. I will establish the rear height and match the front to the rear. I would like to see a slight rake in the stance.
Putting one wheel on I was right, it is too close to the spring (about a 1/4") so if I could get the springs, bags or whatever I use even with or inside the frame rail I will be golden. I can see I will also need to fabricate some kind of sway bar also.
There is way more movement in all directions in that rear suspension than I though there would be.
The panhard rod is nice but I think I will build a custom adjustable unit since the ride height is dropping 3-4" from where it is now.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I know very little about bags, but saved this thread in case I ever wanted them in the rear of my truck:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480726
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I know very little about bags, but saved this thread in case I ever wanted them in the rear of my truck:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480726
Thanks for the links...
The "dragging steel" photo is WAY lower than I want to go. that orange truck is slightly higher than the Mrs. wants...

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
66-PMD-GMC

OK, I have an idea.
Does anyone make stock trailing arms that are "moved in" on the diff. side?
I really wanted to minimize fabbing up stuff on this truck but I could build a cross member to carry the load and just move the suspension in 3 inches.
Yes? No?

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
OK, I have an idea.
Does anyone make stock trailing arms that are "moved in" on the diff. side?
I really wanted to minimize fabbing up stuff on this truck but I could build a cross member to carry the load and just move the suspension in 3 inches.
Yes? No?
Forget the above... I just got back from checking out parts etc.. etc.. and I am going to stay with the stock configuration suspension and replace the coil springs with air bags. Relocate the bump stops and use the room I have available. I never knew there were so many airbag options.
I don't like the rear sway-bar setups I have seen so far at the parts store.
Again, this is not going to be fully adjustable "air ride". I am going to set it and go, may use coil over heavy duty shocks, want it stiff and nice to handle but not ride like a buckboard.
Oh, and one other thing. I mounted the wheel/tire combos and the tire nearly touches the springs on one side and has a little less than a 1/4" clearance on the other side.
I'll bet this Lil shortbed dog legged down the road when it was drivable.
Thanks for the help so far everyone

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Forget the above... I just got back from checking out parts etc.. etc.. and I am going to stay with the stock configuration suspension and replace the coil springs with air bags. Relocate the bump stops and use the room I have available. I never knew there were so many airbag options.
I don't like the rear sway-bar setups I have seen so far at the parts store.
Again, this is not going to be fully adjustable "air ride". I am going to set it and go, may use coil over heavy duty shocks, want it stiff and nice to handle but not ride like a buckboard.
Oh, and one other thing. I mounted the wheel/tire combos and the tire nearly touches the springs on one side and has a little less than a 1/4" clearance on the other side.
I'll bet this Lil shortbed dog legged down the road when it was drivable.
Thanks for the help so far everyone
Get a long adjustable Panhard bar from Porterbuilt or No Limit & you should be able to easily get the rear centered & not have to worry about excess movement during the cycling of the suspension.

If the bags are used @ the recommended ride height, you should only need quality gas shocks. Outside of that realm & you're band-aiding something so targeting the bag height should be the priority.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Get a long adjustable Panhard bar from Porterbuilt or No Limit & you should be able to easily get the rear centered & not have to worry about excess movement during the cycling of the suspension.

If the bags are used @ the recommended ride height, you should only need quality gas shocks. Outside of that realm & you're band-aiding something so targeting the bag height should be the priority.
I appreciate the advice.
Having no experience with air suspension other than putting shocks on my wifes Navigator, my familiarity with the type of ride air suspension is minimal.
The navigator squats to one corner on hard turns. I am not impressed with its suspension.
My 30 year old son struggles with leaks on his Lincoln town car.
I consider quality shocks highly important and thought the coil over route might stiffen up the "roll" on the back of the truck.
I like to toss as many ideas around before I start spending money on a plan.
Still building that plan.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
SCOTI

Air springs need to be isolated 'per corner' or you'll experience that body roll. It is usually also much worse vs steel springs because of the inherent natural tendency of the air to follow the path of least resistance if the corners are not isolated.

The right bag @ the spec'd height w/good quality shocks can ride/drive as good as or better than a 2011 vehicle.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
mavdog32

Ok so for you guys running bags, how do they perform with a high HP motor? I am in the middle of my build now and am trying to decide if i want to run bags or coil overs. I like the bags and will go with them if they hold the load of a hard launch well.

TIA
mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdog32 View Post
Ok so for you guys running bags, how do they perform with a high HP motor? I am in the middle of my build now and am trying to decide if i want to run bags or coil overs. I like the bags and will go with them if they hold the load of a hard launch well.

TIA
I see guys at my local dragstrip running air bags but have never really asked any hard questions of them or about them.
I see the major issue of getting power to the tires and the tires to stick with trucks as weight transfer.
There is no weight in the back of these trucks (I mean for transfer here, I know the bed weighs something)
When I had the HO Pontiac motor in my 66 briefly, all it did was roast the tires.
I couldn't get it to hook up for nothing.
It is a long bed GMC with leafs so I really didn't expect anything anyway.
But what this 63 will do as a short bed and trailing arms/air sprung... who knows??
The motor that was in the 66 is a 440 inch 600+ hp Pontiac torque monster..
The wifes 63 will get a 360ish inch Pontiac making a little more than 380 hp and will be used on cruise nights etc..

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
mavdog32

Dont get me wrong, this isnt a competition truck but I will have it at the strip every once in a while. Its mainly going to be a cruiser with the occasional mustang in the rear view Motor is a turbo 5.3 running around 650-700 on pump gas. I already planned on running the tank behind the axle to get some weight back there. Also going to keep the wood and anything else to add weight back there. I just picture the bags collapsing a bit more than I would like under hard accel and wanted to see if this holds true from people who have them.

BTW this is a 54 chevy
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, this isnt a competition truck but I will have it at the strip every once in a while. Its mainly going to be a cruiser with the occasional mustang in the rear view Motor is a turbo 5.3 running around 650-700 on pump gas. I already planned on running the tank behind the axle to get some weight back there. Also going to keep the wood and anything else to add weight back there. I just picture the bags collapsing a bit more than I would like under hard accel and wanted to see if this holds true from people who have them.

BTW this is a 54 chevy
Isn't a 5.3 a 305?
I don't really speak liters.. <--- read old dude
If it is a 305, how in the world are you getting a streetable 675hp average/2.2 hp per sq/inch from a sbc ???

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Isn't a 5.3 a 305?
I don't really speak liters.. <--- read old dude
If it is a 305, how in the world are you getting a streetable 675hp average/2.2 hp per sq/inch from a sbc ???
5.3 is a 327

400-450 to the wheels is pretty easy and reliable with boost on the newer generation FI motors.

675 is pretty close to the ragged edge unless were talking about forged internals/head studs,etc.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
mavdog32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
5.3 is a 327

400-450 to the wheels is pretty easy and reliable with boost on the newer generation FI motors.

675 is pretty close to the ragged edge unless were talking about forged internals/head studs,etc.

Its a 325, he and I were talking through PM's so as not to clutter the thread! I am running all forged internals and studs instead of bolts. I showed him this article where they made almost 650 with a 5.3 running low boost and stock internals, and a carb.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...d/viewall.html

Last edited by mavdog32; 04-17-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Wrong displacement
Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Its a 327, he and I were talking through PM's so as not to clutter the thread! I am running all forged internals and studs instead of bolts. I showed him this article where they made almost 650 with a 5.3 running low boost and stock internals, and a carb.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...d/viewall.html
Yes I did some looking on the internet and found some different builds using the late model Chevy LS stuff. Pretty impressive possibilities. Nothing like the old 1st gen small block stuff at all.
As nice as all that might be I won't be turned to the bowtie side just yet...
I am a die hard BOP guy and I will die driving a Pontiac powered vehicle

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
mavdog32

5.3 is a 325, its bored .020 over and running forged internals. Turbo is a precision 7675 pushing 12-15 lbs of boost on pump gas. Heads are advanced induction 317 226CC cnc ported and polished, stock truck intake, FUEL rails, 80 lb injectors, etc.... blah blah blah blah. It wont be hard to make 650