The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
fig191

sheet metal

Who is the best company to buy sheet metal from.
fig191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
pat 70/71

Re: sheet metal

I would recommend trying to stay with original sheet metal. The fit is miles better than any after market part (in my very humble opinion). find used parts and rework them you will be glad you did! cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
JRANGER

i really like tabco.
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
ffk

auto metal direct
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Agent915

I agree with pat 70/71 wholeheartedly!! I started my '69 GMC build in 2010. When I tore in to her I found tons of rust, mainly in the bed, fenders and core support. The cab was solid with only a few minor areas rusted through. The GMC core support was totally shot so I decided I would build her back as a '68 Chevy. I set out to use NOTHING but OEM parts. Last summer I found a nice, solid '69 SWB fleet bed that was already in primer. The guy just lost interest in his project. I bought the bed and he threw in a pair of usable GMC front fenders, including the inners and misc parts. About that same time I found a complete '67 Chevy front clip with a slightly bent core support and a near perfect hood. Of course the front lower corner of the r.f. fender was ate up.
Today I went and picked up some parts I got a lead on last Friday afternoon. Turns out to be a '68 chevy front clip that has been in storage since 1990. Its all apart but the core support and BOTH fenders and hood are perfect! Only MINIMAL rust below the battery box. It's the best looking 67-72 clip I've come across! The guy had all this stored and said that there were more parts that he would GIVE me once he had time to dig them out. I know this response has been long, but my point is this... the parts are out there IF your willing to search for them! I love to search for them and generally you'll met another person that loves these trucks too! The parts I mentioned are ALL OEM and I have less than $800 in ALL of them. Plus, PLENTY to sell when I'm done with my truck.
I just got my frame back from blasting/paint, and started working on my cab. When I'm done she will be as much OEM as possible. To me, waiting and searching for original parts is well worth it! Nothing fits like "factory"!
Good luck with your project!
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote