The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
ANTEC900

1988 truck with all 1966 sheet metal

My grandpa a few years back bought a 1966 Chevy truck
Thats all 1988 except for the sheet metal

The frame, motor, tranny, seats gauges, ect. are 1988

My question is how hard/ how much work would it be to do another truck like that
I have some mechanical know how but my grandpa and my moms boyfriend have alot

my grandpa has 2 complete 1965 Chevy trucks that have been pole barn kept for the last 20 - 25 years
And I have a 1992 gmc Sierra 1500
Posted via Mobile Device
ANTEC900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: 1988 truck with all 1966 sheet metal

I would stick with the original frame. If you do some searching on the forum you will fine the same answer.

Do you have any pics of the truck with the gauges in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
ANTEC900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
I would stick with the original frame. If you do some searching on the forum you will fine the same answer.

Do you have any pics of the truck with the gauges in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why should I stick with the original frame?

And no pics yet but hopeing to get some by next week

Also my grandpas 1966 everything but sheet metal is 1988

Also edited first post the 2 trucks in his barn are 1962 not 1965
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
padresag

different w/b . registration problems- what are you going to have it registered as?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

BTW welcome aboard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Id like to see some pics of what you have too.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
joedoh

mine is a 65/98, and its titled as a 65. I used the firewall and floorboards and kept all the systems, AC, power steering and brakes, EFI, gauges, even the heater controls.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
mine is a 65/98, and its titled as a 65. I used the firewall and floorboards and kept all the systems, AC, power steering and brakes, EFI, gauges, even the heater controls.

have you informed the MVO of this change I wonder?
ron
Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Sponto

funny...i was think of doing the same thing with my 66 4x4. Looking at using a 88 suburban frame. the wheelbase diffrence is 2.5 inches.

So i am also interested on what people have to say on this.

Sean
Sponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponto View Post
funny...i was think of doing the same thing with my 66 4x4. Looking at using a 88 suburban frame. the wheelbase diffrence is 2.5 inches.

Sean
for one it doesn't look right, but then that doesn't natter to some
ron
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
for one it doesn't look right, but then that doesn't matter to some
ron

yeah I have to admit, some guys love the upgrades for 5 lug, overdrive, updated drivetrain, vintage air kits, carbs and chokes and drivetrain swaps, discs, dual circuit brakes, column shifts to floor shifts, boiling out gas tanks, painless wiring kits, turn signal stalk replacements, crossmembers that cost as much as the project truck. I dont though.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
ANTEC900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponto View Post

Sean
The guy that did my grandpas 66 had a long bed frame and shortened it
Thats what I was told he did
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Jeff La

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
have you informed the MVO of this change I wonder?
ron
Now why would he do that. You don't volunteer any more info than needed. To me what's the difference in doing that or changing the frame with bags, control arms, C notches etc. As long as neither trucks are stolen it really shouldn't matter.

On a side note, I'm thinking about doing the same thing with a 95ish frame. Fit 64-66 body on that frame, should only need to move mounts. To simplify things I would use the mounts off the 60's frame.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
Now why would he do that. You don't volunteer any more info than needed. To me what's the difference in doing that or changing the frame with bags, control arms, C notches etc. As long as neither trucks are stolen it really shouldn't matter.

On a side note, I'm thinking about doing the same thing with a 95ish frame. Fit 64-66 body on that frame, should only need to move mounts. To simplify things I would use the mounts off the 60's frame.
see what happens if you ever get in a bad accident with it. they will tear you a new one right now!. if it ever has to be inspected, you will find out.
years and years ago( 50 as a matter of fact). i was driving a 36 ford sedan and got pulled. cop couldn't find anything that he could harass me about so he ask me to match the reg to the vehicle. had to go to the MVO and the old come out and went straight to the frame and says yep there it is
or when you sell it to someone else( i know after you sell it , who gives a ****) and someone runs the nbrs. I'll bet that you disappear in a hurry
up here if you bring in a vehicle from out of province you have to have it inspected before you can have it registered here. they check the nbrs and the frame for modifications and they specify that welds be certified. that eliminates a lot of poop. if you get in an accident and you don't have matching nbrs and or crappy welds it can void your insurance. you could be paying for the rest of your life. but we all know that it would never happen to you.
ere was a suburban that I bought last year for the body. the fellw that I bought it from brought it up from wa.. it was orig a 2 wheel dr and they stuck an 84 4 x 4 frame under it. it was still registered as a 2 wheel dr. he was asking a decent $ for it, but couldn't sell it because it wold have had to be inspected before it could ever be registered and there was no way that was ever going to happen with that frame under there. i got a pretty good deal on it.
check out the custom mounting that it has

By rondavid at 2011-08-23

By rondavid at 2011-08-23

By rondavid at 2011-09-22

they were driving it that way in wa.
ron
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Pro Performance

Quote:

Sweet looking truck, and all the comforts of a newer truck. The stance looks great!
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
62 short step

The burb is an obviuos hack job.

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Jeff La

The burb you have was done by an idiot, can't fix that. Here in my state as long as you have a clean title you can basically do what you want, however it would not be able to be registered as an Antique as it would have to be 100% original. I do wonder how do people where you live get away with lowering or modifying their vehicles with bags,c notches and such????
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
padresag

Quote:
The burb you have was done by an idiot, can't fix that. Here in my state as long as you have a clean title you can basically do what you want, however it would not be able to be registered as an Antique as it would have to be 100% original. I do wonder how do people where you live get away with lowering or modifying their vehicles with bags,c notches and such????
they do the same as most. they hope that they never get in an accident, but I do remember when I use to use drop axles in my early fords and chevs and I got checked for it. if you got a flat tire no other part of the vehicle was to touch the road. I think I was with in about a 1/16 " but it still cleared. I bet that law is still valid. another time with a 38 ford sedan with a 3' dropped axle; I installed a Model A rear spring in the frt. to bring it up. they measured my headlights for height. they can check you for a lot of things regarding legal requirements.
regarding your state MVO requirements you may be surprised. here is one section and I think that installing a different body on a different frame may fall under this one
Back Print

LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
Section: IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements Effective: 04/11/1988
Number: 85.00 Revised: 08/15/2011

ASSEMBLED VEHICLES
POLICY:

To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/

AUTHORITY
R.S. 32:707.5

DEFINITION
An assembled motor vehicle is a vehicle which has been assembled by a person other than the manufacturer with major component parts from dismantled motor vehicles and may include new parts.

REQUIREMENTS

The LA State Police (LSP), Towing and Recovery Unit, will assign a Louisiana state number to all vehicles assembled in the state. The year of the vehicle is the year indicated on the final inspection.
The initial transaction on these vehicles must be routed to the Specialized Vehicle Unit, Headquarters.
The words, "Assembled Vehicle" will be printed on the title and will remain on all subsequent records.
Subsequent transactions may be processed in the field or HQ offices.

Major component parts are:

Engine with or without accessories
Transmission
Nose: that portion of the body from the front to the firewall when acquired or transferred as a complete unit.
Frame: that portion of a vehicle upon which other components are affixed, such as the engine, body, or transmission.
Body: that portion of a vehicle that determines its shape and appearance and is attached to the frame.
Door
Rear Clip: two or more of the following, all dismantled from the same vehicle:

1. Quarter panel or fender
2. Floor panel assembly
3. Trunk lid or gate

Cowl: that portion of the vehicle housing the firewall, windshield, and instrument panel.

The following items must be submitted prior to processing:

Receipts for all parts

1. Parts obtain from dismantled vehicles

a. If the part is purchased from a licensed dismantler only the receipt for that part is required provided the receipt states: "This vehicle from which the part was removed was reported to the Office of Motor Vehicles in accordance with R.S. 32:718."
b. If the part is purchased from an individual, a receipt as well as a copy of the front and back of the permit to dismantle is required. In the case of the frame, the original permit to dismantle is required.
2. New parts obtained will require the submission of a purchase receipt for that part as well as a certificate of origin, or similar document, complete with assignment to the assembler. If the part was not sold with a certificate of origin, a statement to that effect is required.
A sworn statement attesting that the assembled motor vehicle meets all National Highway Traffic Safety Administration standards for safety in effect on the date the assembly of the vehicle was complete.
A disclosure statement indicating that the assembler is aware that the vehicle will be branded as an assembled motor vehicle.
A photograph of the assembled vehicle.
Proof of current insurance if a plate is requested. The insurance card must clearly indicate that the vehicle is an assembled vehicle.

If all of the above requirements are met and the documents are acceptable, the Office of Motor Vehicles will issue a referral to contact LSP to make an appointment for inspection. Note: the assembler cannot make an appointment unless he has received a referral from OMV. LSP will issue a state assigned VIN and direct the customer to obtain a motor vehicle inspection sticker. The motor vehicle inspection sticker/rejection must include the state assigned VIN issued by LSP.

A motor vehicle inspection sticker or a statement from a licensed Louisiana motor vehicle inspection station indicating that the vehicle meets all safety requirements must be obtained at this time.
If the vehicle is domiciled in a non-attainment area and requires emissions testing an Assembled Emissions Inspection Form completed by the Motor Vehicle Emissions Inspection Challenge Station will also be required. The form must indicate that the vehicle meets all emissions requirements. The parishes currently designated as non-attainment areas are East Baton Rouge, West Baton Rouge, Ascension, Iberville, and Livingston.

Once all requirements listed above are met, the documentation must be re-submitted to the Office of Motor Vehicles for the issuance of a title.

Related Policies:
Section IV 112.00 Motor Vehicle Inspection

ron
Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
padresag

Quote:
here is another. i take that another frame and driveline would be considered a glider kit in this sense.
ack Print

LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
Section: IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements Effective: 04/11/1988
Number: 28.00 Revised: 02/05/2010

GLIDER KITS
POLICY:

To view Louisiana Statues: http://www. legis.state.la.us

AUTHORITY
Administrative

DEFINITION
A glider kit is manufactured with its own frame and uses only the power train (motor, transmission, drive shaft, and rear axles) from previously existing vehicles.

Due to the VIN edit check, the initial file must be submitted to the Specialized Vehicle Unit, Headquarters, and must contain the required items shown in each situation listed below.

REQUIREMENTS
Title and assignment of glider kit in the same owner's name

Application for title showing driver’s license number or EIN and odometer reading of the dismantled vehicle.
Manufacturer’s statement of origin for glider kit, properly assigned and notarized.
Notarized bill of sale for the glider kit.
Title to the dismantled vehicle.
Title, license, taxes computed on glider kit.
VEH-20 form executed by an officer with the LA State Police Vehicle Theft Unit verifying that the serial number on the new body or kit agrees with the statement of origin and also verifying the serial number and the make of the component parts of the power train (engine, transmission, drive shaft, and rear axles) installed in the glider kit.

Title not in same owner's name

All requirements listed above.
Properly assigned and notarized title.
Application for title (of vehicle to be installed under kit).
Notarized invoice or bill of sale.
Applicable taxes and fees.

ron
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
srziemkowski

Cant we all just get along
Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

OK, Im glad that everyone is getting along now ....

Let keep this cool !

Im sure rules and regs vary from area to area ....

That burban is a perfect example of a dangerous situtation, that wouldnt pass an inspection.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
rbar

I love the wing nuts on the front of the burb. Joe, I like what you have done with that truck.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
joedoh

A glider kit is for kit cars like the Mercedes/pintos or Ferrari Daytona/corvettes.

Existing trucks with existing titles just need the title for the donor to be taken "off the books". I ran into trouble when I used a 62 body first, because I bought it on a bill of sale. Since I had the title to the 98 they wanted to take the easy way and make it a 98. I wanted the vintage tag, so I found a titled 65 and had no more issues. A lesser man or a scofflaw would have just swapped vin plates for a good titled 60-63, I however did not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
padresag

Quote:
A glider kit is for kit cars like the Mercedes/pintos or Ferrari Daytona/corvettes.

Existing trucks with existing titles just need the title for the donor to be taken "off the books". I ran into trouble when I used a 62 body first, because I bought it on a bill of sale. Since I had the title to the 98 they wanted to take the easy way and make it a 98. I wanted the vintage tag, so I found a titled 65 and had no more issues. A lesser man or a scofflaw would have just swapped vin plates for a good titled 60-63, I however did not.
Posted via Mobile Device
actually gliders used to be used(perhaps still are) quite readily in heavy duty truck applications(factory gliders). just move the cab over. it is the same principle as putting a 60-66 cab on a newer frame and running gear.

it seems as though you have gone through the legal hassle of getting yours registered properly where most don't bother. my hat is off to you. my apologies again for not tweaking on the "98" instead of the 73-87 modification I was referring to.
I only bought that suburban for the body only. it is going on my 64 4 x 4 panel frame( whose body was to far gone. I only used the pics to illustrate what some guys do
ron
Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
RAYDAY

A COUPLE YEARS ago there was a 96ish tahoe at sema wirh a 60-66 front end on it think it was red? could of been some thing similar
http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/az480
half-assed build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5206828
RAYDAY is offline   Reply With Quote