The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
mikewarme

Quality of nos hood hinges

Nos

Last edited by mikewarme; 05-24-2012 at 11:44 AM.
mikewarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Quality of nos hood hinges

sounds like you bought GM reproduction parts from 15 or so years ago that some r selling as NOS when in fact they are repop stuff
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
mikewarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
sounds like you bought GM reproduction parts from 15 or so years ago that some r selling as NOS when in fact they are repop stuff
They came from GM with a GM tag and part number and do not have gloss look like the Taiwan parts do. Looks like GM parts from 30 years ago. I sent it back for credit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
webfoot

Probably should have been better described as "NORS".

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
leddzepp

a friend of mine used repops from lmc (made in argentina of all places) said they work perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Lee H

They are still available from GMParts direct for $48 each, at least as of three weeks ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
They are still available from GMParts direct for $48 each, at least as of three weeks ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
YES THAT IS WHAT IS BEING SOLD/// NOS WERE ONES THAT WERE MADE THRU 1972 NOS is not new ones that are being being made and sold in this century

it is a very deceptive practise by GM in thier marketing of repop parts resto parts whatever you want to call them but they aint NOS
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
a friend of mine used repops from lmc (made in argentina of all places) said they work perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
YES THAT IS WHAT IS BEING SOLD/// NOS WERE ONES THAT WERE MADE THRU 1972 NOS is not new ones that are being being made and sold in this century

it is a very deceptive practise by GM in thier marketing of repop parts resto parts whatever you want to call them but they aint NOS
Did not say they are NOS, just parts still available through GM. These are not restoration parts either, just plan old parts Did not mean to start a NOS war. Peace.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
mikewarme

Quote:

The tags are fresh. But believe me they look like they are from 1972. Alot of times they tag them as they pull the parts from bins of bulk parts
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
mikewarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

They still show. But when you call nobody has them (Not even GM) and they are listed as Discontinued
Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

What people are saying is GM started re-issuing parts that had long since been depleted,once others started replicating them. This began over 20 years ago. About that time was when you'd be real lucky to find any original parts (N.O.S.) remaining in stock because the big vintage part vendors had cleaned out the stocks of desirable parts. GM parts were on a national computerized inventory by then. Back then is when I stopped ordering up parts because it became unclear what was truly N.O.S. and what was a licensed replica made by the same manufacturer in the same foreign country as reproduction,because it was reproduction...in a GM box because GM can do that.It's their part. That would be fine when stock ran out within a decade after the trucks were built. But,a lot of things have changed since and now a part sold by GM for a '72 is no more an OEM part than Lynard Skynard is the same band we listened to in the '70s.
A true OEM part would be the same quality part as what came on these trucks and would operate as new...perfectly.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
mikewarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What people are saying is GM started re-issuing parts that had long since been depleted,once others started replicating them. This began over 20 years ago. About that time was when you'd be real lucky to find any original parts (N.O.S.) remaining in stock because the big vintage part vendors had cleaned out the stocks of desirable parts. GM parts were on a national computerized inventory by then. Back then is when I stopped ordering up parts because it became unclear what was truly N.O.S. and what was a licensed replica made by the same manufacturer in the same foreign country as reproduction,because it was reproduction...in a GM box because GM can do that.It's their part. That would be fine when stock ran out within a decade after the trucks were built. But,a lot of things have changed since and now a part sold by GM for a '72 is no more an OEM part than Lynard Skynard is the same band we listened to in the '70s.
A true OEM part would be the same quality part as what came on these trucks and would operate as new...perfectly.
I do agree with that. Any part that is licensed is considered junk too me. There are still some good parts from GM however

WIndow crank handle and handle to open door (Inner)

These handles were used on GM vans into the 90's with the exact same part. I'll gladly pay $33 for a window crank from gm because it will not strip in 6 months like all the other junk. Same thing with the chrome handle to open door! The gm parts is even 30% heavier! So some of the parts that GM still is fit many other vehicles...