The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
twouvakind

My truck from a consigner, lesson learned

Here it is, purchased in Lithia Springs Georgia and driven home. I won't go into too much detail but I got a serious case of buyers regret once I got it home and began to explore the truck and explore the forums here. Lesson learned, do your home work. Keep the check in your pocket and take the time to verify the claims the seller is claiming. Like...."this is a factory air truck/cab" Boy, was I pissed to verify it is NOT! So pissed in fact that I ended up filing a claim with the Atlanta office of the BBB. Needless to say it has been closed out to my continued dissatisfaction.
Don't get me wrong....900 miles with a weeping(refurbed)Carter fuel pump and home safe....I really am enjoying the truck and messing with it one task at a time. it is a head turner and seems to take people that admire it back to a simpler time(or so it seems).
I'd be happy to answer questions about the seller, but not here. We can PM and I can call you if you are thinking of flying into Atlanta(they'll pick you up!)and driving away with your....um.....dare I say.....uh....dream car? Enjoy the overexposed pics(damn auto settings)My plan for the truck is to drive the wheels off it though it is not my DD.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
omodified

Re: My truck from a consigner, lesson learned

Sorry to hear this story. I found all kind of things wrong with mine after time passed. I am not sure anybody could do all the research needed and still be patient enough not to buy too soon. I assume you feel that you got overcharged at this point, but it is still a VERY nice ride and I would be proud to own it! One in that shape I am sure is rare in NJ. Now just enjoy it and save some money by doing your own work to it. You'll be back on top before you know it.
Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Malamute

Sorry to hear that. I bought an '08 Audi from a private seller with only 4500 miles a few years ago from a guy in San Diego. Car was perfect and as advertised but he wouldn't pay the taxes on the back end of his lease and I couldn't get the title released. I paid them, sued him and got his wages garnished. It still didn't get me the extra money I spent on an attorney and other misc. crap.

Bottom line, I will never buy any vehicle that I can't do the deal in person ever again.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
71 super

I am curious as why you think it is not a factory air cab? The ac box is present I would assume that the ac vents are in the dash? It looks like it has been switched to a long water pump and the air compressor and assorted accessories were switched accordingly. Is the SPID still present on the glove box door? I would be more fearful that it was a long wheel base cut down or a cheyenne clone than the air. The air brackets and set up on the engine is relatively easy to change back to original. It looks like a solid truck and nice paint, would like to see pics of the interior. Looks like a solid start no matter what you do with it.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
twouvakind

Thanks for all the positive comments, and yes 71 super it is a solid start. The AC vent though are are cheezy plastic and if I had not been so darn excited to have this thing home I would have taken the screws out and revealed the cut dash to the consigner. This picture also tells a more obvious tale as to why it is not a factory a/c cab. Those dimples have been the for 40 years, with no vacuum actuator or whatever it is called in factory ac land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
I am curious as why you think it is not a factory air cab? The ac box is present I would assume that the ac vents are in the dash? It looks like it has been switched to a long water pump and the air compressor and assorted accessories were switched accordingly. Is the SPID still present on the glove box door? I would be more fearful that it was a long wheel base cut down or a cheyenne clone than the air. The air brackets and set up on the engine is relatively easy to change back to original. It looks like a solid truck and nice paint, would like to see pics of the interior. Looks like a solid start no matter what you do with it.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
big_al_71

depending on what you paid for it overall seems like a nice truck. I would only buy if I can touch it feel it drive it and look at it over my self.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
dhaymaker

I've dealt with some of the same issues you are talking about here. I bought a 2006 Audi A4 (to replace the wife's car after she had an accident) and it was purchased from a dealer, no less. When the vehicle showed up on the transport it was filthy! No, I don't mean from being transported, but the interior was nasty. The floor carpeting was filthy, the steering wheel actually had grease on it, the seat belts had grease on them, and the interior was just overall dirty.

Then, we started looking at the car. The glove box was held on one side by duct tape, broken hinge. Among other broken interior parts: console door, ashtray, rear ashtray cover, and the plate around the shifter boot was cracked. Outside, the left rear marker light was broken. The pictures had two keys, with keyless entry, a "valet" key, and the owner's manuals. Car showed up with ONE KEY.

Like others, I won't name names here. But if you PM me...

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
twouvakind

I hear you! And an Audi no less. But consigners are what they are....consigners. They talked me up and down that they could not know every thing about every vehicle they consign....only what the owners TELL or STATE to them about the vehicle they are getting paid handsomely to list in various publication and websites. I got the lead on my truck from of all places...Hemmings Motor News. I still like Hemmings but could never recommend the consigner in Lithia Springs or Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaymaker View Post
I've dealt with some of the same issues you are talking about here. I bought a 2006 Audi A4 (to replace the wife's car after she had an accident) and it was purchased from a dealer, no less. When the vehicle showed up on the transport it was filthy! No, I don't mean from being transported, but the interior was nasty. The floor carpeting was filthy, the steering wheel actually had grease on it, the seat belts had grease on them, and the interior was just overall dirty.

Then, we started looking at the car. The glove box was held on one side by duct tape, broken hinge. Among other broken interior parts: console door, ashtray, rear ashtray cover, and the plate around the shifter boot was cracked. Outside, the left rear marker light was broken. The pictures had two keys, with keyless entry, a "valet" key, and the owner's manuals. Car showed up with ONE KEY.

Like others, I won't name names here. But if you PM me...
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

This is the firewall of my old cab (long gone). You can see what belongs where the dimples are that you mentioned.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Gokart Mozart

Why no names? If I had a problem I'd let everyone I knew about it so they would avoid the place. Also it they did a great job, I'd tell as many people as I could.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Malamute

He's given you all you need to know with the location.....both Georgia and Charlotte. Look for C 10's on Ebay Motors, you'll find what you're looking for. Please feel free to delete if I overstepped my boundaries twouvakind.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
twouvakind

NP, you don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
He's given you all you need to know with the location.....both Georgia and Charlotte. Look for C 10's on Ebay Motors, you'll find what you're looking for. Please feel free to delete if I overstepped my boundaries twouvakind.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
71 super

I gotcha on the actuator, I did not even notice that it was missing... Still looks like a good start. Heck the vintage air setup I hear is better than the OEM anyway (never used it ) prime time to try it out. Good luck.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
broey
Square

Giving a bad report to the BBB doesn't really affect anyone. It's just another private company, like Angie's list or Yelp. That sucks they lied to you. If you paid a premium for Factory air then maybe they can reimburse you some cash?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
twouvakind

Before I became the fourth complainant with the triple B, they(the consignor) asked me what I wanted...what they could do to make me a happy customer. I asked for 10% of the purchase price to correct the a/c or restore it back to a non-a/c cab. They balked. The cost of a thread like this one for the consigner......PRICELESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
Giving a bad report to the BBB doesn't really affect anyone. It's just another private company, like Angie's list or Yelp. That sucks they lied to you. If you paid a premium for Factory air then maybe they can reimburse you some cash?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
bollybib

Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing your remorse and showing restraint.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twouvakind View Post
Before I became the fourth complainant with the triple B, they(the consignor) asked me what I wanted...what they could do to make me a happy customer. I asked for 10% of the purchase price to correct the a/c or restore it back to a non-a/c cab. They balked. The cost of a thread like this one for the consigner......PRICELESS!

you're funny.. did the cosigner build the truck.. are they now historians ?.. they sell what the seller brings them.. with the info the seller brings them. how about going to the source?
I understand that you are mad/pissed/etc.. but yo are mad at the wrong parties.. the cosigner isn't gonna give you what they might have made after the ad's,time,etc it took to move the truck..

all they are are salesmen, they make it sound good.. they more than likely had no CLUE. it wasn't a factory ac truck.. and they sure are not going to research the thing.. seller/owner says a/c truck.. salesmen, yup it's got a/c..
I'd be mad at the seller that lied, to the cosigner, and then look in the mirror as I am as much at fault as I didn't do my homework before I signed the title..

enjoy the truck it looks nice and clean.. bashing the cosigner, even with hints only of whom it is.. is wrong.. it's not their job to check..
you think b.j. checks to see every car that crosses their stage is really a numbers matching vehicle.. no they don't.. no cosigner does.. they go by the seller, and it's the buyer that needs to make sure he's getting what ,he THINKS he's getting..
my opinion, you're barking up the wrong tree..

nice truck by the way.. enjoy it..
Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
you're funny.. did the cosigner build the truck.. are they now historians ?.. they sell what the seller brings them.. with the info the seller brings them. how about going to the source?
I understand that you are mad/pissed/etc.. but yo are mad at the wrong parties.. the cosigner isn't gonna give you what they might have made after the ad's,time,etc it took to move the truck..

all they are are salesmen, they make it sound good.. they more than likely had no CLUE. it wasn't a factory ac truck.. and they sure are not going to research the thing.. seller/owner says a/c truck.. salesmen, yup it's got a/c..
I'd be mad at the seller that lied, to the cosigner, and then look in the mirror as I am as much at fault as I didn't do my homework before I signed the title..

enjoy the truck it looks nice and clean.. bashing the cosigner, even with hints only of whom it is.. is wrong.. it's not their job to check..
you think b.j. checks to see every car that crosses their stage is really a numbers matching vehicle.. no they don't.. no cosigner does.. they go by the seller, and it's the buyer that needs to make sure he's getting what ,he THINKS he's getting..

Misrepresenting something that you are selling is not only bad business, its downright illegal in many states. When the OP asked if the truck was factory AC the salesman should have said either, "I dont know" or "Thats what the seller claimed" rather "Yep! Sure is! Sign here". As a "classic car dealership", they cant really feign ignorance on this. Someone had to type in the VIN to change the title and it would have been no extra effort to check it against the SPID.

Of course buyer beware applies, but when you are purchasing something from an "expert" there is an implied warranty of accuracy when they sell you something. This would be no different than selling an SS clone as legit, or numbers matching with a crate motor. Maybe that brand new base model Corvette on the lot is a "debadged" Z06? It is the retailers responsibility to ensure that they correctly represented the product that they sold whether it was on consignment or not. The expert relationship between the dealer and buyer provides the buyer a lot more legal right than a private party sale - even if the so called expert is a 17 year old whose last job was at McD's. Auction sales have nothing to do with this.

Few things will get you in more trouble than answering a question that you dont know the answer to.

Had the original owner taken steps to conceal the true nature of the truck (changing VIN/SPID) then I would agree with what you are saying.
The OP still ended up with a nice truck and he is happy with it. But, the dealer he bought it from was dishonest; no two ways about it. They even admitted fault but refused to make it right. Perhaps those are the type of people you like to do business with, but I sure dont.

Just my .02
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:

you think b.j. checks to see every car that crosses their stage is really a numbers matching vehicle.. no they don't..
Just so you know...they DO check EVERY VEHICLE that has a matching number claim, and if you mis-represent a unit to them you are through playing in their arena. Having a father, three brothers and a cousin that are Auctioneers on the curcuit I know what I speak of.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've been to Streetside Classics in Charlotte. I was extremely dissappointed in the quality of cars they had. I went to look at a couple mustangs they had. They take a ton of pics they all look great in pics, but on the majority of cars I looked at the paint/body work on most of them didn't properly reflect the high price they were asking.

One case in particular was a 66 mustang I was looking at. It looked like a great car in pics, and even from 10' away, but upon closer inspection I could easily see actual grinder marks in the lower rear pillar where the knobby things the trim piece snaps on for a vinyl top car (top was removed and car painted all one color) and in person the paint was also wavy. That was just one car. They wanted 18K for it. I bought a 65 mustang a couple months later, way nicer for way less.

They did have a few nice cars worth the money they were asking, but for the most part I was disappointed with the quality of cars vs price.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 06-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

The problem with buying from any sort of dealer,unless they specialize in a specific type of vehicle,is they don't always lie,but they will unknowingly tell you things that are not true. Even if it is a lie,they can just play dumb and say that's what they were told. They are selling what they know people want and know what they want to hear. "Factory A/C truck" rolls easily off the tongue of a classic Chevy Truck salesman. By the looks of the truck I believe you were going for getting a fairly rare find of a great example of a factory Cheyenne SWB. Some don't care if it was a base 6cyl that had everything added. But,you base your paying price on what you think you are buying and that's what sucks about sales people who are more caught up in moving a "piece" than letting a great vehicle sell itself by knowing the facts. Makes you wonder what other surprises lay within.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

bigger question. does it really matter.. , if it as a low miles, original down to the hose clamps.. then ya I can see it mattering.. but these things are 40+ years old..
over that time most have been had in the nose and replaced with used junkyard parts. and had in the rear. and had another bed installed..
it's a clean sharp truck. if it runs good, isn't full of plastic.. does it really matter, they are basic trucks.. I love um. but it's still a truck..
to many forget that way back then. 99% of truck buyers bought a truck because, wait for it.. they needed a truck.. and they where used as a truck.. expecting them ,when they look like this one ,to be original.. is a tall order..
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
twouvakind

Thank you all for your comments!
Bottom line....I purchased a truck advertised as factory air...they(the consigner) admitted they advertised it that way in error.They asked for a means of resolution from me, I offered one and they balked. I have now made good on my promise to them to share my buying experience(priceless)I would hope that anyone in the future considering a truck(or any vehicle purchase)from this consigner or any party for that matter do so with extreme caution regarding any and all claims about a vehicle.

Lastly....shame on me for getting so caught up in the vehicle, the consigners claims and plunking down the cash without a clearer frame of mind. like the thread title states:
lesson learned.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
bigger question. does it really matter.. , if it as a low miles, original down to the hose clamps.. then ya I can see it mattering.. but these things are 40+ years old..
over that time most have been had in the nose and replaced with used junkyard parts. and had in the rear. and had another bed installed..
it's a clean sharp truck. if it runs good, isn't full of plastic.. does it really matter, they are basic trucks.. I love um. but it's still a truck..
to many forget that way back then. 99% of truck buyers bought a truck because, wait for it.. they needed a truck.. and they where used as a truck.. expecting them ,when they look like this one ,to be original.. is a tall order..
Evidently it doesn't matter to you. But,it does matter when a truck/car/motorcycle or anything is priced as something that it isn't. And,I was there back in the day. Yes,just as still today trucks are bought for work (did people stop using trucks for work?). But,trucks bought for work weren't highly optioned trucks. A loaded Cheyenne Super 402 bucket seat SWB was obviously not bought for work,just like many trucks these days. Back then is when what's going on today with trucks had started. It just to the larger masses 40 years to catch on. Trucks for vanity had already begun by this era. That's why GM built them that way. Such trucks are every bit as collectible as any car.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
But,trucks bought for work weren't highly optioned trucks. A loaded Cheyenne Super 402 bucket seat SWB was obviously not bought for work,just like many trucks these days..
some that used their truck every day as a truck still loaded it up..
not everyone wanted a base work truck.. not everyone that used their truck as a truck needed a 8 ft bed either.. EVEN BACK THEN..
the farm that delivered our milk (remember that) had short bed chevy trucks loaded to the gills in orange with orange like hounds tooth trim.

the local garage had a wrecker that was a loaded cab..c-10 or 20
not every one was a cheapskate that bought a truck for a biz..
Closed Thread