The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
LILJP's66

Automatic tranny install ????s

So I have this 66 lwb inline 6 with the good ol' granny 4speed. Nothing is wrong with it but I want a auto trans. So I would like to know how many of you have done this change. Do you have a build thread on this or can anybody tell me exactly what I need. Thank in advance
LILJP's66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
striptnut

Re: Automatic tranny install ????s

I did a tranny swap on a 64C10 I had once. Mine had a 250inline. Bolted a T350shortail right up to the 250. If I remember I had to cut down the drive shaft alittle. I had to relocate the crossmember for the tranny-mount. Went and bought a Lokar "trans mount" shifter. I also remember I had a clearance problem with the front crossmember that held the manual trans in place. It may sound like alot of stuff to buy and modify but it was worth it. I was commuting about 100 miles a day in traffic at that time. After changing to a auto trans... Man o Man what a difference ! "Just put the shifter to the letter D and drive baby" Hope this helps ! PM me if ya got any other questions.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
sigshooter

Re: Automatic tranny install ????s

I have done several, Get a crossmember and the shift linkage from a 67-72 ( it all fits right in ). Cut the manual trans crossmember out, change the starter and flywheel from the std to an auto stuff, and you will need an external tranny cooler ( figuring your rad is stock and doesn't have one in it ). Decide what column you want to use, me I always used stock 66 auto columns because I had plenty on hand. cut the driveshaft to length

It is pretty simple, espically if you find a 67-72 to get all of the crossmember and linkage from.
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote