The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
dajn
Account Suspended

black grill

the grill that came with this pickup when i bought it was far from being great condition so i decided to paint a grill that i had laying around black to see what it looked like. I'm thinking that a bigger rim that is black with a chrome ring would look nice with it.
Attached Images

dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
dajn
Account Suspended

Re: black grill

any ideas are more than welcome. I'm trying to go with a black a chrome setup with the blue.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajn View Post
any ideas are more than welcome. I'm trying to go with a black a chrome setup with the blue.
Well,,, you asked,, so I will give you my thoughts. I think the grill insert painted black looks great on almost any color truck, the whole assembly,,, in my opinion,, not so much. Just doesn't complement your truck,, again,, just my opinion. Thanks, Fred

Last edited by specialtyretail; 09-01-2012 at 04:57 PM.
specialtyretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
tsali39

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
Well,,, you asked,, so I will give you my thoughts. I thing the grill insert painted black looks great on almost any color truck, the whole assembly,,, in my opinion,, not so much. Just doesn't complement your truck,, again,, just my opinion. Thanks, Fred
I concur, it is too bold for that deep blue.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
dajn
Account Suspended

Thanks for the replies. I tend to agree with you guys. I think if i get black rims and paint sine of the white black, it might look nice. I'm just not into the lowered swb pickups on twenties like everybody else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
jocko

yep, hard to beat the stock 71 paint scheme or the 72 paint scheme. I prefer the 72, but 71 has a nice black band that looks cool too. All black - i agree, a bit too much. Nice truck, now break out that paint thinner!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
dajn
Account Suspended

The chrome was shot on both grills. Paint or rechrome was the only option. I think that i'm just going to buy a new grill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajn View Post
The chrome was shot on both grills. Paint or rechrome was the only option. I think that i'm just going to buy a new grill.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think it looks horrible, that said it might be a bit much. The chrome on my 69's grill was totally shot so I used some acid to remove it then polished the aluminum. I was going to clear it but never got around to it, now I use some Mothers to freshen it up when it gets dull. You might give it a try if there aren't too many dings in it. I can't remember what acid I used but it worked fast and wasn't as tough as I thought it was going to be.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Moonbeam

Just my opinion but the black gives the truck a bold, mean look while the chrome gives a more fresh, clean look.
Moonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
vern650

nor am i into the lowered big wheeled trucks or a lot of Chrome at that. i wish i had pics of my former 71 k-20 it was a similar color scheme. it was a darker blue than yours but with no bonnet, with the grill insert painted black, black bumpers, 5% tinted Windows, and satin aluminum wheels i think it looked Sharp. i like the blacked out trucks, i think u could make the solid grill work and it'd be different. if it was me I'd black it all out wheels bumpers the works, but where u wanna keep some chrome accents i think it would look good with black wheels with chrome rings like ya said then either color match or black out the white bonnet, the black bonnet might be cool, and tint the windows maybe even black the emblems to.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Tinkermc

paint it a darker blue and it would soften the look the black is a statement color
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
dohyde34
Account Suspended

i think the insert painteed blue with the black around it. imo either go chrome or no chrome.
dohyde34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
dbstepside

have you thought about painting the surround with a charcoal gray. i like the black the inner. i have seen a 4 door 57 that the guys says all the chrome was horrible so he painted all the trim with a metallic charcoal gray and did detail work with black. it look really good but it also on a black car. he went over all the script on the car with a blue so it would pop out at you. just a thought, if the headlights buckets and bumper were black i'd like it better.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
dajn
Account Suspended

Once again, thanks for the honesty. I would like to give some words of wisdom right now that i have learned the hard way. Dont ever mess with something that is perfectly fine the way it is. Think of Michael jackson. If he would have stopped with the plastic surgery in the 80's, he would have been fine. Instead, he kept going and eventually looked like a monster. I am 31 years old and i have to remember my old motocross bikes. I went to far with them. I cant do that with my pickups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
richards72chevy

Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  34.9 KBI like it.I painted mine years ago because it was in bad shape.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
vern650

found a pic of my 71 k20 with black grill insert and bumpers and stuff. man wish i woulda never sold it. its hard to see with the dark paint and the overcast, but from the lower body line down is painted black with bedliner.

Last edited by vern650; 09-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.
vern650 is offline   Reply With Quote