The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Jeff56

Front clips

What years and cars do you guys recommend for a clip install in a 1956 Chevy pickup. Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jeff56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Big Block 454

Re: Front clips

I would go with a Mustang II setup from Fatman or one similiar.
Big Block 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Jeff56

Yea I will eventually I just can't afford those ifs kits right now. I'm just trying to find out what car clips I can use
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
andrewmp6

I'm not a big fan of clipping a frame i have seen a few break before,And whatever clip you use will need all the suspension steering and brakes rebult so its not really that much more for a ifs kit.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
jmedero

Hey man check with Justin at Scott's hot rods right there in Oxnard. He has what you need and his prices are good. Justin@scottshotrods.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Jeff56

I've been quoted great prices. Justin from Scott's gave me a great deal. But with kit and install its almost$4,000. I can't afford that. I have a guy that builds about 15-18 trucks a year. He quoted me $1,000 to install front clip, brake booster, steering column, and paint frame. Any help on what year cars and what kind is best for a clip. Thanks again guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I've been quoted great prices. Justin from Scott's gave me a great deal. But with kit and install its almost$4,000. I can't afford that. I have a guy that builds about 15-18 trucks a year. He quoted me $1,000 to install front clip, brake booster, steering column, and paint frame. Any help on what year cars and what kind is best for a clip. Thanks again guys
If you have someone that can install the clip, and does that many a year why ask us? He would be the one to offer the best advice on what he would put in it. If he recommends a clip then its up to him to make it work.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Scottshotrods

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
How much are looking to spend on PARTS for your suspension?

If you remember you told me your friend installed a ifs from a different manufacture and had some PROBLEMS.This company is not a VENDOR on this site.

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

70s Camaro or Firebird. They are cheap, plentiful, and have good geometry and aftermarket support. Dunno how well it would line up with your existing frame though...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
Jeff56

I ask because this is a forumn to ask questions and get different advice. Maybe his pick on a clip is different then what someone else's would be. Just trying to get some ideas and info. If you don't want to give your thoughts then that's perfectly fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
I ask because this is a forumn to ask questions and get different advice. Maybe his pick on a clip is different then what someone else's would be. Just trying to get some ideas and info. If you don't want to give your thoughts then that's perfectly fine.
I apologize if my post came across as abrasive. I understand your desire to gain information and have options to choose from, but I still feel your better off taking the advice of the guy thats doing the install. If he has that kind of experience, he will be able to tell you whats the best choice.

If it were me, I would save my money until I could afford an aftermarket kit that was designed for your application. There was a time when grafting an IRS clip was a good choice because it gave you all the modern amenities of close ratio power steering, coil springs, disc brakes, and better geometry. In that era, there weren't many aftermarket kits around.

These days with all the aftermarket options, a bolt or weld in kit designed for your specific application is a much better choice.

One thing that often does not get factored in is the cost of rebuilding the donor suspension. If its compatible with a clip conversion it probably is old enough that it needs a complete rebuild. By adding those costs and time to the conversion, your a lot closer to a aftermarket kit than you think.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
andrewmp6

Have you looked at http://www.nolimitparts.com/ let him know your a forum member here he will cut you a better deal.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Jeff56

I just can't afford those ifs kits right now for the kit and install its close to $4,000
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size

Last edited by Jeff56; 10-14-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I don't think n2 was not wanting to offer his opinion, just saying that you probably have a pretty good source at your disposal. It's a good idea to see what's going on in the world so you can compare it to his offering. Unfortunately, not all proprietors in the hotrod biz are the honest type. Have you checked around in the appropriate year subforum here? Prolly a few guys that have done exactly what you're thinking of doing. Good luck! Let us know how it goes...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Jeff56

I just want to get different opinions. Maybe your guys ideas on clips are better then his that's all I was looking for. im sorry if I came off harsh don't mean it like that. I appreciate your help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
I just want to get different opinions. Maybe your guys ideas on clips are better then his that's all I was looking for. im sorry if I came off harsh don't mean it like that. I appreciate your help
Posted via Mobile Device
I would recommend using only what 'your guy' suggests.

There's nothing worse than a customer who thinks they know more than the installer on a particular set-up (brand B) when the installer uses brand-A over & over w/o issues. It's a struggle waiting to happen....

What clip does your fabricator routinely use? Is it what he's suggesting for your truck? Why does he like what he suggests over other choices? Those would be the things I would want to know prior to ruling out aftermarket suspension set-ups.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
waybad

remember that the 75up novas have the same 70-81 f-body front clip! cheaper too!!
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Scottshotrods

Scotts weld in ifs or the Scotts BOLT in ifs for your truck.You keep your FACTORY frame.You do not need to cut it off and all your factory bumper holes and core support will bolt back up.

We have some KILLER DEALS FOR ALL MEMBERS ON THIS SITE.

Justin
(805)485-0382
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Jeff56

Hey Justin how you doing. Yea that's a different guy. The guy I found is out of the Fresno area he builds these trucks and sells them on eBay. He basically finds a donor car and uses everything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
andrewmp6

I'm with justin after you buy the clip have it put on and rebuild the whole suspension and steering its gonna be close to what a ifs kit cost i bet.If justin has a bolt in kit for your truck that will save you some money if you do it yourself.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #21
Jeff56

I could be wrong but I think Justin said the bolt in kit is more money. The price of the kit isn't bad. But then $1000-1200 to install the kit and then I need brake booster, steering colum, pedals and so on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
andrewmp6

Honestly a welded on clip scares me,I seen 2 or 3 the clip broke at the welds because it wasn't installed right.If it was me i would call around a few shops see what they will charge you to weld in a ifs and everything else you need done.With a clip lets say f body or even the x body you will still have to rebuild the suspension the whole steering system box and all it adds up.Just make a list and see which way is cheaper for you.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
Scottshotrods

Our bolt in ifs is more $$$$ than our weld in ifs.For welding it in yes you want to find some body who is qualified to do the welding on the crosmember.For the other parts as in the brake booster or hooking up the column and motor.This can be done in your garage.

Other option for you.We have several customers who can set up the crossmember in there frame but cannot weld.So they have called mobile welders to come out to there house and weld in ifs.This will be alot less $$$$ to have mobile welder come out and just weld in the ifs.Rather than have a shop remove all your stock suspension and then set in the new crossmember and weld it in.

Justin

Last edited by Scottshotrods; 10-16-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
PBFAB.COM

Sounds to me like you are looking for some help/recommendations for a car clip that can be grafted into your frame. Like the others, I always recommend shying away from this... but since that isn't really what you're looking for here's some info:

It seems most go with a 70's front steer camaro/firebird or nova front subframe. They seem to do the trick. This retro-fit has worked well for a long time, so when done properly it can yield a ride quality much greater than the straight axle.

Make sure you add in all the expenses (front clip rebuild with quality parts) so you can see exactly where you stand before you pull the trigger.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
robnolimit

Jeff, I'll throw in my 2 cents here for what it's worth. Here's the diclamer. Yes, I manufacture an aftermarket IFS for your truck. $2695 hub/hub with p/s, complete. Here's the history. Starting in '84, I was grafting in Camaro clips. '70 to '81 are the ticket. For those that love the second gen Camaro, I will never be in your good graces, This is the best parts car for a grass roots rodder ever made. A PROPERLY done graft will give you a lifetime of great driving with no headaches. Doing the job correctly is not easy work. There are really two grafts. 1) blend in and fit the new front suspension, and 2) re-fit the front frame horns including the bumper and core support mounts. Step two is not addressed very often. "Front steer" camaro/firebird clips are different than nova, chevelle, .... and they are better. I look for the 79-81, they have a larger outer bearing and bigger sway bar. Even though I make a living making and selling new front and rear suspension components, I will say that this swap CAN be done correctly, and if done correctly, should not be looked down upon. For your info, we still do this at my shop. standard swap is $1750 + clip. This does include motor and trans mounts. - Yes, the clip already has mounts, but they were for the motor placement in a camaro, and thats not what your building. Don't short cut it. If your going to do it, get it done right. We have an instal DVD, re-mastered from '90's video, that shows the complete swap install, this may be good for your knowledge. So, I hope this doesn't hurt anyone feelings, and it helps Jeff get his truck built correctly.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote