The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

I don't like the stock baby blue. Thinking of dark green Anybody else done this?

I just bought this '69, but the color just isn't growing on me. I'm thinking of painting it a dark metallic green. I'm talking about a green that's so dark, it's almost black. Have any of you done a color like this before? Can you share a photo?

Thanks.

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
69GWC

Re: I don't like the stock baby blue. Thinking of dark green Anybody else done this?

Dangit man and here i wish mine was that color..lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: I don't like the stock baby blue. Thinking of dark green Anybody else done this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
Dangit man and here i wish mine was that color..lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol. I've found everyone has an opinion when it comes to color. Family and friends are all over the map with what they think I should do. I just need to do what I feel is best, but I'd like to see a photo first if possible
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Sicklajoie
The Niner

I think you're the first person I've heard of that doesn't like that color!
Nice C/20 BTW
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

I always like the light green and white trucks. But i went back and forth for months but finally went with the stock light blue and I love it but I think its because its fresh and new paint.
Attached Images

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Sideways

Love the blue and you gotta save that patina,their only original paint once.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet View Post
I always like the light green and white trucks. But i went back and forth for months but finally went with the stock light blue and I love it but I think its because its fresh and new paint.
That's as good as its gonna get, and it still isn't my thing. Pretty truck though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet View Post
I wanted to tell you I was wrong about the blue. It has grown on me. I'm either going to leave the paint like it is, or freshen up the factory color like you have one day. I'm also keeping the trim. I didn't realize what I had. I've been too used to new vehicles for too long, and was stuck in a rut.

Here are some better pictures I recently took of it.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Mister-B; 11-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Square_78

I have to agree. I think the baby blue is one of the nicest colors that GM ever put out, and the patina on yours is amazing. I would spend the money on chrome and new bumpers and trim and leave the paint the way it is. Its a REALLY nice looking truck. I would never in a million years paint that truck dark green

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
I have to agree. I think the baby blue is one of the nicest colors that GM ever put out, and the patina on yours is amazing. I would spend the money on chrome and new bumpers and trim and leave the paint the way it is. Its a REALLY nice looking truck. I would never in a million years paint that truck dark green
What do you mean by patina? The shine? I actually spent a lot of time with a paint cleaner, followed by a good wax. Looks totally different than it did. Before, there was a white chalk type oxidation that wouldn't wash off.

I'm still gonna do bumpers and such, but I tend to like darker colors on trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

These are some examples of the color I'm thinking of

Edit. No matter what I try, I can't get images to post
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Sideways

Pantina IMO is the "original color it left the factory with" with all the factory black primer showing thru from some soul waxing the hell out of it!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Sideways

Quote:
And I have to agree, and my pride and joy is dark green!! ( I hope that came out right)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
^ What he said!!!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

heres the front of a baby blue, i am liking it more and more each day i look at it. although the light green with a white top will alway be my favorite
Attached Images

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
tommys72

i love the blue, i wouldnt ever change the color. when mine gets repainted itll be the original blue still...im a big fan of the original paitn and color....not hijacking your thread, but heres a pic of mine also. the second picture is the day i bought it
Attached Images

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #17
Elchopperfreak

Dig the color and patina.
If you are changing colors theres pretty much a whole truck to be dissasembled and prepped
Nice purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device
Elchopperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
Square_78

Patina is that old faded paint and rusty surface and that chalky stuff that u said doesn't wash off. That's what's hot these days. Hotroders are finding cars and trucks with that (sitting out in the sun for 30 yrs) look and clear coating right over it to preserve it. My baby blue gmc has that chalky white goodness on the roof,hood and tops of the bedsides and fenders. I've been afraid to wash it because I didn't want to lose that look
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
Square_78

And nothing against green trucks... I just wouldn't take a truck with such a nice original finish and destroy it with new paint. If u want to get a truck to put new paint on, get an ugly one that needs it. Yours doesn't. It took 40 years to make that truck look that cool!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Well guys, thanks for the compliments. I didn't realize the current paint job was considered cool. Guess I have some thinking to do. I guess if I decide to keep it blue, I can call it "Huck", as in Huckleberry Hound lol.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
sboris

Guess I'm the minority, patina is ok, nothing IMO is more exciting than putting on that new paint and making it your own. Especially green! Do it. Do it do it. Not a fan of light blue either, there I said it. Here come the boos.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
50bomb

I like the blue. I am same way with my truck. Its a light green and I like it but i kinda want to paint it a dark blue semi gloss. Do what you like not what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by 50bomb; 10-15-2012 at 06:44 PM.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
67anthony

NO i love the blue
67anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67anthony View Post
NO i love the blue
That's what I'm saying. I was wrong about wanting to change the color, so I won't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
69GWC

Blue all the way

69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote