The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
stock75

Wondering If you guys could shed some light on some advice I received..

Not sure if its true, but while at the local muffler shop I was talking to the owner about headers, told him about my setup and that I dd my truck. That being said he advised that unless you are going to drop some money and get a good name brand, such as doug throrley, you are better off finding a beter flowing exhaust manifold off a different 350, he said in my case a vortec or corvette application i believe would be fine.Not sure if anyone can shed light on this, he said cheap headers just dont truly seal up, that you will always be fighting leaks. what do you guys think?
stock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Edahall

Re: Wondering If you guys could shed some light on some advice I received..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock75 View Post
Not sure if its true, but while at the local muffler shop I was talking to the owner about headers, told him about my setup and that I dd my truck. That being said he advised that unless you are going to drop some money and get a good name brand, such as doug throrley, you are better off finding a beter flowing exhaust manifold off a different 350, he said in my case a vortec or corvette application i believe would be fine.Not sure if anyone can shed light on this, he said cheap headers just dont truly seal up, that you will always be fighting leaks. what do you guys think?
Unfortunately, this is very true. You definitely get what you pay for on a set of headers.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
88Jimmy4x4

I dunno about the different manifolds, but I wouldnt buy a cheap set of headers
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
INSIDIOUS '86

Header lock washers with some graphite gaskets will seal all day.

A lot of people are running headman headers.
A stock exhaust system with one pipe won't like headers as much as a good flowing system that has manifolds going to headers. You need to know where the weak point is on the in and out wether it's the exhaust or intake you know
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Jedipartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
A stock exhaust system with one pipe won't like headers as much as a good flowing system that has manifolds going to headers. Posted via Mobile Device
Huh?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
cory d

i have the cheapo hedmans, previous owner put them on. i have welded a couple cracks. i like the ball and socket flange, gives a little range of movement and hasnt leaked at all. i have had one leak at the had with them, but smashing them on speedbumps and other stuff will do that
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

The Hedman ball and socket flange works really well. My only complaint is the mounting hardware for the collector flange. The bolts and lock washers did not work for me. The flanges would warp, the nuts came loose, and eventually the mounting hardware ends up on the ground. My solution was to use longer bolts with exhaust manifold springs, and then to double nut each bolt. Never had a problem after I did that, I just wish the springs and bolts already came in the box. Other than that problem, they've been just as good as any manifold. I did have to make a heat shield for plug #5 though. The clearance is decent, it's just a hot area with a lot of tubes that can fry a wire if you aren't careful. As you can see, despite my satisfaction, there was still bit of work involved to get them right.

The cheaper headers, all of which seem to use the same design seem to always contact the #3 plug boot and the only solution is to beat the tube in. Not only that, the collectors are angled in a bit of a goofy way that is not really in line with the humps in the cross member. These cheap headers are probably what your muffler guy is talking about being a nightmare. I would rather run a set of Corvette ram horns instead, because it definitely was a headache!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

The bolts are not the issue. Warped flanges are.
Standard 12 point's on my dougs. Have not touched them since the first re snug.

Had thorley tri Y's on my 77 daily driven for 10 years killed maybe 3 pairs of gaskets.

1/4 and 5/16 flanges warp...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Firebirdjones

Headers on 7 different cars here, don't use locking bolts on any of them and never an issue with loose bolts or leaking. Most of them have been on these cars for more than 20 years.

I will say however a good quality header goes a long way, and I prefer to use soft copper for gaskets. Never had a problem.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
86dragracer

Ive had a few sets of autozone headers in the past. I always use stock manifold gaskets instead of the one piece header gaskets and never had a problem with leakage at the head. Of course with any header you need to check and recheck the bolts because they will work loose or the gasket shrinks. The problem I had the most was with tube breakage at the collector. Eventually ponyed up and bought Hooker Comps and never had another problem. They made more power also. Using copper collector gaskets helps alot also.
86dragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
mopar346

Hedman Elites, I like the ceramics.

Never be afraid to buy the best you want be disappointed with the quality.

Not saying Hedman Elites are absolutely the best, but they are quality.

There are many cases where good flowing manifolds are a better option over many/most/any headers.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

cheap headers are thinner for sure
had some dynomax headers , rusted out ,no probs lol
ran them on a couple of blocks...

some headers leak if the flange is not bolted down from the middle first
some will cut the flange up

this time the 79 stayed stock manifolds,ground out the bumps for better flow tho
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
INSIDIOUS '86

REMFLEX gaskets. Use them the gear head god Steve McQueen approves
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #14
wraprail

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock75 View Post
Doesn't California smog police have a hard on for anybody with exhaust headers? Maybe stock manifolds would be less headache. .?
Posted via Mobile Device
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #15
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
Doesn't California smog police have a hard on for anybody with exhaust headers? Maybe stock manifolds would be less headache. .?
Posted via Mobile Device
Went to Sanderson in SF and they made me a set custom for my ride. Those guys are the shi$$$. Cost a bit more but they never leaked and the guy that bought the car is still very happy. They also make a center dump cast manifold/header. Always wanted to try them. Lived in Cali for 30 years and ran headers on everything I owned. Just never pulled over for the popo.LOL!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
BigBlocksRule

I can't see how even a crappy set of long tube headers wouldn't flow better than good exhaust manifolds. Manifolds can't scavenge effectively, it's not in the design. I've NEVER had an engine lose power when I added headers, either cheap or expensive, they all picked up.
Find a set of long tubes, tweak 'em when you fit 'em, then send 'em to Nitroplate for a good ceramic coating.
Forget shorties, they're not worth the time or money it takes to put 'em on, very little difference over stock manifolds, IMHO.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
ont_guy_38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I can't see how even a crappy set of long tube headers wouldn't flow better than good exhaust manifolds. Manifolds can't scavenge effectively, it's not in the design. I've NEVER had an engine lose power when I added headers, either cheap or expensive, they all picked up.
Find a set of long tubes, tweak 'em when you fit 'em, then send 'em to Nitroplate for a good ceramic coating.
Forget shorties, they're not worth the time or money it takes to put 'em on, very little difference over stock manifolds, IMHO.
My thoughts exactly , if you have high horsepower then yes do not skimp on headers but if are just looking for a little better performance and a decent sound on a fairly stock vehicle then a cheaper set will do you just fine.

1985 C10
2004 Avalanche
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
Firebirdjones

I think people are ragging on the cheapo headers because of either fitment, quality workmanship, leaks or warped flanges, cracked tubes, and alot of other things associated with that.

I don't believe anyone questions they still provide more power than a manifold will, however you will find power differences between cheap and expensive headers, as the designs, primary lengths, collector sizes, all vary a great deal.

I've certainly used cheap headers before with okay results, but I much rather prefer Hooker Super Comps if I go with a store bought header, and prefer stepped headers over anything else. For the money though, I prefer to have McCabe build a custom set out of stainless (used to work for the Nascar teams) and lives 20 miles up the road. Then you get something designed exactly for your combo and in this case it will make more power than any "shelf" header.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Dieselholic92

Felpro exhaust manifold gaskets and hi-temp will seal just about anything as long as you snug them down tight. I think that cheap headers will usually flow better than stock manifolds, it's just that the coatings will flake off and they'll rust out and everything else. And that's why you should spend some extra money to get decent headers.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
JCampbell
Account Suspended

<<< Spent the green on a set of Thorley's. Never regretted it.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
story

I would have to agree even though I bought a cheap set of trickflows... I had to weld a bung in it for my TBI and the collector flanges sucked could seal without wrapping them and ended up taking it to the muffler shop to redo the collector flanges... Now it's okay but I should have just bought better ones, and would have if I wasn't in a rush to get them on.
story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #22
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
I would have to agree even though I bought a cheap set of trickflows... I had to weld a bung in it for my TBI and the collector flanges sucked could seal without wrapping them and ended up taking it to the muffler shop to redo the collector flanges... Now it's okay but I should have just bought better ones, and would have if I wasn't in a rush to get them on.
Yep, I bought cheap headers for my 454 pickup some 15 years ago. No leak issues around the cylinders, but they came with those god forsaken ball socket collector flanges. For years I fought with those things, they move around too much. Kept loosening up and the tailpipes would move around. I had smallish valvesprings between the flanges to hold the bolts tight in there, lock washers, lock nuts, etc..tried everything. Got fed up and as a temporary fix I welded a bar accross the connection to hold the pipes tight to the collectors until the new collectors came in

I was happy cut all that off and toss it in the trash,, welded a new set of your standard style 3 bolt flange collectors that I've used on everything else for the last 35 years, stuck a copper gasket in there, and like magic, no more issues. Leave it to someone to design something they think works better. What a headache those things were.

When you buy a set, make sure they are at least the old style 3 bolt flange, or use a slip fit design (which works well on my 4th gen too using a nice band clamp).
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
Skunksmash

What about kooks? I have an issue with headers in general. The issue being, I just can't figure out where all this cost is coming from. How hard can it be to make something that is flat and seals up well. Beyond that is there any difference? You got some tubing that curves down to the exhaust pipe. Not real complicated. The factory doesn't seem to have a problem with it seeing as how they crank out good fitting manifolds all day every day...
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
Firebirdjones

Kooks makes an excellent stainless header, I had a set on a previous 4th gen, great quality and great fitment.

Yeah there is a difference between brands, alot of it talked about. Cheaper stuff most times will have a very thin header flange at the cylinder head, which can lead to sealing issues, warpage, etc... They sell them cheap because they are made with cheaper materials

Then you can get picky about the rest of the design like I mentioned earlier. cheaper headers will also generally have very short primary length tubes, which affects the power output, as well as small pipe diameters in some cases that also isn't perfect for every engine out there. Every engine is a little different in the primary length it requires for optimum power as well as primary pipe diameter. Collector design and length plays a roll here as well. Cheaper headers will have a simple short collector where all the pipes are just crammed together and welded up. Look at a more expensive well designed collector and you start seeing big differences. Some of them have found that having a quick reduction in diameter at the collector that expands back out again helps in scavenging and makes power. Nascar has been doing that for years.

Stepped headers are another variable thrown in the mix, but you pay more. In every instance I've seen on the dyno, no matter what V8 was on there, always made more power with a stepped header when properly sized.

You can also get into 180 degree headers, big money and complicated design.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #25
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

Stepped headers are another variable thrown in the mix, but you pay more. In every instance I've seen on the dyno, no matter what V8 was on there, always made more power with a stepped header when properly sized.

You can also get into 180 degree headers, big money and complicated design.
Please tell me what that is, never heard of them before. Never heard of stepped or 180 degree.

Oh and Hoods, I'm afraid Ford has surpassed chevy in both power AND reliability these days For proof take a look at the JD power reports. Government Motors FTL. (for the lose)

Just thought I'd throw a little modern times into that old debate
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote