The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
A.Bursell

67 250 Fuel Filter Help

Hello,

Just finishing up my tune-up on my 67 with a 250 1BBL in it. I wanted to change the fuel filter as part of my maintenance. I picked up a new one but found a surprise when I took the old one out. It appears to be a stone type material. I've never seen this before. It's fairly heavy and copper colored. It has a spot on the back where a spring fits into it, so I believe it was designed for this. I wonder if it's a permanent filter of some sort?

Questions-- should I keep this stone filter (or find a new one), or replace with the new paper element? If the paper element, do I use the spring from the stone filter on it?

Pictures attached.

Adam
Attached Images

A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: 67 250 Fuel Filter Help

Either one will work but the stone will need to be replaced. Both should have a spring. The spring goes in first & the back of the filter goes against it. The opening on either faces the inlet line. The brass filter has a small gasket that goes in the fitting.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
A.Bursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Either one will work but the stone will need to be replaced. Both should have a spring. The spring goes in first & the back of the filter goes against it. The opening on either faces the inlet line. The brass filter has a small gasket that goes in the fitting.
Thanks for the reply. I'm inclined to use a new filter not knowing how old the other one is. The new one didn't come with a spring, I'm assuming the old one is ok to use? And, the gasket you mention for the fitting is that the black one on top of the paper element?

Thanks,

Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

Use the old spring. If you are using the paper type filter you wont need a gasket.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Sintered Brass is what I've always heard and called the one that looks like stone.As stated either should work fine.I always use and inline filter before it to help keep it clean.It's probably just me but I have a mental preference thinking the sintered brass one has finer filtration.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
kaputafj

I've been using paper filters for years on my 250 1bbl. I'm not sure if the spring is the same for both types of filter. Too strong a spring will crush the paper filter (I've seen it), and too weak a spring may not keep it flush against the seat. Maybe you can check if after driving a while and make sure it looks OK.
kaputafj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
A.Bursell

Thanks guys. I tried the paper element (a couple actually) and it kept getting squished in the housing. I looked into the sintered brass a little more and it is what is listed for the 67 cars and earlier trucks. I'm thinking that mine must be an early truck because that is what I had to get in order to fit the housing on my carb. Anyway, thanks again.

Adam