The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
dwatts1984

700R4 To TH350, speedometer off... also tick/knock sound

So I had a turbo 350 swap done on my truck. I love it. Although I miss the one gear, no more worries of the TV cable. Anyhow, when I noticed that I have to drive the truck at 55mph to get it to go 45 mph. I'm under the impression I can just swap the speedo gear in the trans, however I have no idea what gear to go to.

No idea what the stock rear end in my truck is.
Truck: 1986 GMC 1500 single cab LWB 5.7L 4 Bolt Main V8

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also recently noticed a ticking or knocking from under the truck. Truck has always been maintained well. Seems to have happened just after the trans swap. I dont think its the bottom end of the motor... Sounds more like the torque converter or flywheel. To be honest IM curious is anyone else has had this happen. I know the sound is typically a bad bearing in the bottom end. However like I said really sounds to be more on the tranny side.
dwatts1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
MDc10

Re: 700R4 To TH350, speedometer off... also tick/knock sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatts1984 View Post
So I had a turbo 350 swap done on my truck. I love it. Although I miss the one gear, no more worries of the TV cable. Anyhow, when I noticed that I have to drive the truck at 55mph to get it to go 45 mph. I'm under the impression I can just swap the speedo gear in the trans, however I have no idea what gear to go to.

Also recently noticed a ticking or knocking from under the truck. Truck has always been maintained well. Seems to have happened just after the trans swap. I dont think its the bottom end of the motor... Sounds more like the torque converter or flywheel. To be honest IM curious is anyone else has had this happen. I know the sound is typically a bad bearing in the bottom end. However like I said really sounds to be more on the tranny side.
i recently swapped my th350 for a 700r4, since the swap I've noticed the needle bouncing alot. It never did it before. Don't know if the speed is off, guess i should check. When you do a tranny swap are you suppost to change the Speedo gear?
Posted via Mobile Device
MDc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
geezer#99

Lots of info in here.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...____va.htm#350
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
MDc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatts1984 View Post

I actually just left the tranny shop, he said you don't have to change anything in the Speedo for the th350 to 700r4 swap. He said be sure and grease up the end of the cable where it goes into the tranny. Don't kno if this helps you any, but good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
MDc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Ski-me

I'm not familiar with the 350 but if the speedo connections are the same:

I'd first start with lubing your speedo cable. There is a lube out there but you will need to pull out your instrument cluster and speedo gauge to get access to lubing it. Once the speedo is removed, the cable will pull out of the sleeve. When you feed it back in, lube it as you go.

Check your speedo cable for any kinks or large bends.

It is possible that the drive or driven gears within the t-case got damages or are worn. One of the gears is pretty easy to change out but the other one requires pulling the tailshaft off of the Tcase.

Basically, in my 89' I had the speedo jumping around. I tried a new cable, tried lubing it, tried swapping one of the gears (the easier on) with no success. Even my cruise control couldn't hold steady because of the jumping around.

I finally went "all in" and converted my cable speedo to a electronic one. Took a LOT of work but really turned out great! Rock solid speedo, cruise rock solid and 6 digit odometer.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Axle

Actually you do need to change the gears for the swap unless you get a drive and driven gear from a same axle ratio vehicle. The 700r4 uses a large diameter driven gear, the th350 uses the small diameter driven gear, if you use the th350 speedo adaptor from a junkyard source [and the drive gear from the 700r4], your speedo will more than likely read fast. Mine was exactly 2x actual speed. I had to watch out that I didn't destroy my speedo on the shakedown run.

Do you know how many teeth your driven and drive gear have? Then we can work out what combination to get you close. Actual speed verified with a GPS or roadside radar unit? Or other confirmed CORRECT speedo when following somebody with specific instructions to drive at exactly 60mph? =-)

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
legendman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Actually you do need to change the gears for the swap unless you get a drive and driven gear from a same axle ratio vehicle. The 700r4 uses a large diameter driven gear, the th350 uses the small diameter driven gear, if you use the th350 speedo adaptor from a junkyard source [and the drive gear from the 700r4], your speedo will more than likely read fast. Mine was exactly 2x actual speed. I had to watch out that I didn't destroy my speedo on the shakedown run.

Do you know how many teeth your driven and drive gear have? Then we can work out what combination to get you close. Actual speed verified with a GPS or roadside radar unit? Or other confirmed CORRECT speedo when following somebody with specific instructions to drive at exactly 60mph? =-)

Alex.
Bumping this up because I have the same question.
I put a 700r4 in place of a th350 and the th350 had a 10 tooth drive gear and a 19 tooth driven gear, the rear end has a 2:56 ratio and a 305 motor.

Not sure how to figure out which gears to use for the 700r4, it was out of 89 pickup so it had a electric speedo.

Thanks
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
Bumping this up because I have the same question.
I put a 700r4 in place of a th350 and the th350 had a 10 tooth drive gear and a 19 tooth driven gear, the rear end has a 2:56 ratio and a 305 motor.

Not sure how to figure out which gears to use for the 700r4, it was out of 89 pickup so it had a electric speedo.

Thanks
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm Use the chart or give them the gear and tire height in an email and they'll help you out, or just use their calculation to figure it yourself.

EDIT: Saved and uploaded their calculation for future just in case they every change their site.
Attached Images

Last edited by bnoon; 11-23-2012 at 10:59 AM.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
cory d

if oyu left the engine in while swapping transmissions the distibutor may have hit the fire wall. that can cause the cap to sit crooked and knock. a cracked flex plat can make noise too
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote