The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Lost81c10

?? on spacers to fix lean

I have not been able to fix my problem lean problem.
I lowered my truck with 2.5 spindles/1.5 springs (thinking it would fix it) and still have my lean. I swapped the leaf springs from side to side as some of the searches recommended (no money involve, just time) and still have my lean. I have read that shimming might have to do. So if I was to do this what would I need to do to raise the driver side 5/8th of an inch? The truck sits lower on the driver side 5/8th of ”, both on the front and on the rear.
First I thought about cutting about a couple of inches of a coil to lower the front passenger side, but then I thought, how am I going to lower the rear, it’s not flipped its hanger/shackles. So I thought instead, how about raising the lower side by adding a 5/8th thick spacer on the driver/lower side rear (under the leaf spring) but now the question is how to raise the driver front? Are there coil spacers for our truck and do they work? I can lower the front pass by cutting and adding the spacer on the lower rear but would that be good for the frame? How have you all fixed the annoying Chevy lean by way of either lowering the higher side or raising the lower side, and what did you all use. Thanks for all your help and wisdom. i did remove the coils spring and reinstalled to make sure they were seated correctly. On the bottom they sit on the a arm grove completely…
Lost81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
bk2life
Account Suspended

Re: ?? on spacers to fix lean

autozone has spring spacers that go between the coils. or the offroad market has spacers that go under the coil spring. but the ones that go between the coils take about 2 minutes to install..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

I think you will find that the issue is the rear springs not the front
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
1LowToy

Been there done that. Your rear springs are the problem. The rear springs are mush. I took three spring packs appart and matched each spring so each side was the same. I addes a another #3 leaf and #3 leaf out of a 52" spring. This raised the truck some but I added a 1.5 lowering spacer to get it level again. After some thought I would match the springs and add just the #2 spring.

Here are some pics to show the different arches and the final results. Now I have to do some leveling to the trailer.
Attached Images

1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
cory d

that trailer is awesome. i have 2 stepside beds at my house, i need to turn one into a trailer
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

The rear leafs can be mixed together. I fought with mine to get level. Ended up dropping it without shocks bolted on. And came out level...

Then i put both shocks pointed forward still level.
Posted via Mobile Device