The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
jocko

ordering rear axle brake lines

so, my lines are rusted to pieces. I usually bend my own, but in this case, I plan to order some for a change, eventually going to resto this truck, but just getting it going safely for now - so only want to do/buy lines once.

The problem I've run into is that for my truck (71 C20 with Dana and leaf springs) - the listings are confusing. In most places, they simply list them by bed length (short vs. long) and suspension type (leaf vs. coil). But, classic parts no longer carries em, LMC's are a little vague, inline tube didn't have it listed in a clear way either - and truck shop lists a "Dana" one but only for coil springs, oddly enough, and then a separate listing for 71-72 long bed with leaf spring (but doesn't call out a Dana at all for leafs). I've yet to find ANY place that lists them specifically for: leaf springs WITH a Dana.....

Based on the way I've read the listings, it seems that all that matters is bed length and suspension type - i.e. NOT rear end mfgr. So, thinking that long bed + leaf spring will get me the correct rear axle brake line.

Anyone had any experience with this specific case?
Classic Parts lists them in their catalog and I was going to order from them, but when you try to order online, those parts won't come up, nor can they be found by searching all their brake parts. Weird.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
truckster

Re: ordering rear axle brake lines

When I bought mine (O'Reillys) I had to buy adapters, because the wheel cylinders had 3/8 fittings and the junction block on the differential was 7/16. I'm not sure about the 3/4 ton, but I'd measure to make sure you get the right fittings.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
When I bought mine (O'Reillys) I had to buy adapters, because the wheel cylinders had 3/8 fittings and the junction block on the differential was 7/16. I'm not sure about the 3/4 ton, but I'd measure to make sure you get the right fittings.
thanks truckster - yep, 3/4 tonners are different, no T in the line like the 1/2 ton trucks. I wasn't aware oreilly sold pre-bent lines?? Good to know, I should've asked while I was there.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
leddzepp

Be aware that if you order any pre-bent brake lines, they will also be "bent" for packaging purposes and they are a pain in the butt to straighten out.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Be aware that if you order any pre-bent brake lines, they will also be "bent" for packaging purposes and they are a pain in the butt to straighten out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point Scott - thanks. I am aware of that - but it does kinda "bug" me, but I also understand they can't ship the front-to-rear line intact. I think the front kits and rear axle kits came "un"bent. Not sure though.

If I don't get the warm fuzzy that I'm buying an exact fit, I'm comfortable bending my own, but thought I'd try some pre-bents. But then again, my last truck got me pretty handy with a tubin bender, so nice to know can fall back on it if I have to.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Lee H

Mark, I would call inline. They have a lot of stuff, like everyone else, that's not on the online catalog.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
jocko

thanks Lee, I think I will do that. Truck Shop has what I need I think, but I do think inline might be a better bet. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Hammerforhire

I bought pre bent stainless lines from Brothers and they fit perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hammerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
jocko

were they for a 3/4 ton, leaf spring, Dana 60?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
fasttech

I have a GMC short bed with a Dana 44 rear and leaf springs. I purchased a full kit for a 4 wheel disc conversion from Inline Tube. I called twice and sent them a couple of e-mails before I made my purchase. When I received my order they sent me the coil spring setup for the standard GM rear end. At first when I called (within 24hrs) to tell them they sent me the wrong setup, the sales person tried to say it was my fault for not providing more information with my order since both the coil spring and leaf spring for the 4 wheel disc conversion have the same part number. After I sent them my e-mails showing what the original sales person told me to order based on my setup they decided to replace the kit with the correct one.

My point to this rant is everything Inline Tube sells is considered to be custom made and NOT returnable. So if you deal with them get it in writing/e-mail so you don't get stuck with something you can't use. You also need to check your order within 48 hours or they won't take it back. I am not saying avoid buying from Inline Tube but I am saying fully understand their return policy.
fasttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I installed new SS brake lines for my 1972 GMC 1500 leaf spring rear end from Inline Tube. I didn't have to do hardly any bending to get them in. Fit and finish is really nice. They even have the wire wrap around the tube in the stock locations.

Here they are installed.

I have the kit from them to do the entire truck. But so far have only done the rear brake lines.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote