The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
71GeneralMotorsCorp

pulled motor out for freeze plugs, now trans wont shift into park?

Hey guys

After finishing up my motor pull for the freeze plugs, the transmission linkage was hooked back up behind the little spring on the linkage, got into the cab to make sure it'd go through all the gears, it did everything but park. My transmission is a turbo 350. I tried everything from moving the shifter back and up,to just up, and even crawling under it to manually move the linkage to no prevail. so now i took off the linkage and now it wont even shift out of neutral and drive, it's like stuck in those two gears now.

I'm just curious of why it's not going into park, and how to fix it.. thanks for your guys' time!
71GeneralMotorsCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: pulled motor out for freeze plugs, now trans wont shift into park?

If you took the linkage off at the trans and it won't shift manually then your S link may have come off inside the pan. It connects the linkage to the shift spool inside the valve body. You should still feel the shifter but the trans won"t change gears. Did you disconnect the cross arm from the frame and just have the U link on the tranny. If not you may have bound the cross arm linkage.

Also when you installed the engine and trans were you careful with the torque converter alignment? It is easy to forget the dogs on the converter that align with the front pump. this shouldn't affect the linkage but it will jam up the front pump and the vehicle won't move. That should be obvious when doing the install though.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
71GeneralMotorsCorp

Re: pulled motor out for freeze plugs, now trans wont shift into park?

Update: it's probably the linkage, i got it into reverse, then I disconnected the linkage arm from the trans, and it went 1 gear further, which is park i presume..
71GeneralMotorsCorp is offline   Reply With Quote