The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Hagerty's or Grundy's insurance which do you have?
Hagerty's 25 48.08%
Grundy's 13 25.00%
other 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Hagerty's or Grundy's which one and why?

Being using nationwide classic insuranse for a while and just realized how much i'm being overcharged. I am weighing my options between hagerty's and grundy's and have quotes from both. Please let me know good or bad if you have stories dealing with these.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Fldawg

Re: Hagerty's or Grundy's which one and why?

I've had grundy since my truck has been on the road, the reason i like grundy
unlimited mileage, hagerty was higher and had a 5000 a year limit
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldawg View Post
I've had grundy since my truck has been on the road, the reason i like grundy
unlimited mileage, hagerty was higher and had a 5000 a year limit
I have Hagerty and I'm not aware of any mileage limit.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
shawno72
C/10 junkie

I will have to check into this. I have 21st century now but only liability on my truck.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Be careful, Years ago before I knew any better I had a 70 SWB insured through my agent with a national brand company and had a policy that was a "stated" value.... I just called and asked him about it, he said no problem, asked what I wanted it insured for and wrote a policy, even received a printed copy of the policy from him that listed its "estimated value", so I thought it was legit. Anyway, later on I had issues and had to call the companies national number/main office and I was told that the vehicle is only insured for book value no matter what value I "stated" or "estimated" it to be. I was less than happy with this as you can guess...

So, after my long story I learned my lesson and have all my classic vehicles insured with Hagerty. I have never needed to file a claim but I am happy with my coverage, prices and service. Also, I have several buddies who use Grundy and have heard nothing but good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
I will have to check into this. I have 21st century now but only liability on my truck.
By the way....Scary!
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number98 View Post
Be careful, Years ago before I knew any better I had a 70 SWB insured through my agent with a national brand company and had a policy that was a "stated" value.... I just called and asked him about it, he said no problem, asked what I wanted it insured for and wrote a policy, even received a printed copy of the policy from him that listed its "estimated value", so I thought it was legit. Anyway, later on I had issues and had to call the companies national number/main office and I was told that the vehicle is only insured for book value no matter what value I "stated" or "estimated" it to be. I was less than happy with this as you can guess...

So, after my long story I learned my lesson and have all my classic vehicles insured with Hagerty. I have never needed to file a claim but I am happy with my coverage, prices and service. Also, I have several buddies who use Grundy and have heard nothing but good things.

By the way....Scary!
I agree. National insurance companys usually only give book value.
72 4x4
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
SuperC10Tex

I have American Collectors / USAA for my 72 GMC......5000 miles a year, full coverage, $1000 ded,......for $82.00 year (truck valued@ $12K). I have all three of our DD (09 vette vert, 10 equinox, and 12 expedition) with USAA also......I pay $758 every six months.
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
RexDodge

I just got a quote from American Collectors for $186.95 per year. That is for 12K value, zero delectable and 5K miles per year. Thanks for the tip.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

My truck is not a daily driver and is driven very little to shows and drove on weekends weather permitting and stays in a locked garage. I called grundy's and got a quote for $115.00 per year for 15,000 dollars coverage. Same coverage from nationwide insurance is $502.00 per year. Plus nationwide must have every reciept you spent on the truck to follow through and provide coverage. Crazy price difference. Gonna call hagerty's tomorrow and get a quote.
72 4x4
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
lousblown55chevy

I use Grundy for my Pro Street 55 chevy and have never had a claim , but heard a intresting story at a car show 2 summers ago . I was at a show that had a 500.00 dollar first prize , when a Pro Street Willys pulled in to show , I thought it was the same car that beat me in the World of Wheels show 3 years earlier but there was something different about the flame job , so I asked the owner and he told me he had repainted the car and changed the color of the flames. I asked him why he did that and he told me that he was at a show and a man in a wheelchair had scratched the front fender and a flamed paint job is almost impossible to blend so Grundy payed 28 thousand to repaint the entire car . Hope I never have a claim but it is nice to know they understand the cost for custom paint.
lousblown55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousblown55chevy View Post
I use Grundy for my Pro Street 55 chevy and have never had a claim , but heard a intresting story at a car show 2 summers ago . I was at a show that had a 500.00 dollar first prize , when a Pro Street Willys pulled in to show , I thought it was the same car that beat me in the World of Wheels show 3 years earlier but there was something different about the flame job , so I asked the owner and he told me he had repainted the car and changed the color of the flames. I asked him why he did that and he told me that he was at a show and a man in a wheelchair had scratched the front fender and a flamed paint job is almost impossible to blend so Grundy payed 28 thousand to repaint the entire car . Hope I never have a claim but it is nice to know they understand the cost for custom paint.
Wow that is good service.
72 4x4
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPURPLE70CHEVY View Post
Same coverage from nationwide insurance is $502.00 per year. Plus nationwide must have every reciept you spent on the truck to follow through and provide coverage. Crazy price difference. Gonna call hagerty's tomorrow and get a quote.
WHAT!!?? $502.00 for a Year and every receipt!! That's just Freakin' Crazy!!

Hagerty has been worth every dime for me. Jus' sayin'.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
JWall
Frequent Flyer

I've never had to file a claim but I have Grundy.

I like that the auto increase the coverage amount yearly & also the 0 deductible.

Also, they have no mileage restrictions, towing coverage, auto show medical reimbursement, trip interuption coverage, spare parts coverage & all that stuff.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
russgoodman

I had Hagerty for years, but it seemed like each year the premiums got higher and higher for the same stated value (IIRC went from $200/yr to $350/yr for both cars). So I switched to Grundy about 3 years ago and have been happy, but never had to actually use them for a claim. Just added the truck to the policy, but I had to value it at their minimum stated value of $5000. As long as its not a daily driver and you have a locked area to store it in, I think both companies would be ok.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
71 super

Hagerty. Go to smokey Mtn insurance and talk to them of you haven't . I have my stuff through them and they sell hagerty and are car guys . Call me if you have any questions. Harold
Posted via Mobile Device
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
no moa

American collectors for me also
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Tinkermc

Well here is the odd ball, State Farm with a stated value policy, under 100.00 aa year no mileage limits
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Lee H

The main difference between stated and agreed to polices:

Stated amount/value policies and premiums are priced based upon what you say the item you’re insuring is worth. If you have a loss, the stated amount is the ceiling (maximum) the insurer will pay for that item. At the time of the loss, current market data (NADA, KBB, recent sales, depreciation, etc) determines their starting point for your items value. Then it’s up to you to convince your insurance company otherwise, up to the maximum “stated” amount. It can be a real battle.

Agreed amount/value is the value that you and your agent/insurer agree your item is worth. The policy and premiums are priced based on this agreed to value. In the event of a total loss, that is the amount you’ll get for it. Stated policies are usually less expense. Agreed to policies are usually more restrictive (must have DD for every person of driving age in household, must have locked garage, usually have mileage limits, will not cover if stolen at grocery store, mall, movie theater, etc) due to the risk of higher payouts.

Do your homework and get the policy that best works for you.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPURPLE70CHEVY View Post
Being using nationwide classic insuranse for a while and just realized how much i'm being overcharged. I am weighing my options between hagerty's and grundy's and have quotes from both. Please let me know good or bad if you have stories dealing with these.
I've been using Hagerty for the 10 years I've had my truck and they have been flawless. I've only broken down twice and each time they were fast and very professional about getting me the RIGHT help, i.e. a Rollback. I have never experienced a need to use them due to an accident. I don't have unlimited towing milage, because it keeps my costs down.
Also, I don't drive my truck everyday and I only drive it on Non-rainy days and in Parades as part my Shriner Antique Car Club.

You guys also have to remember that if your driving your Truck 24/7/365 you can't get Hagerty or Grundy. And if you do get them to cover your truck, it MUST be locked away in a secure garage and the milage is restricted.

Shawno, I'd do some serious huntin' around for another company. Having only "liability", while it keeps it on the road, won't help if, heaven forbid, anything should happen. We've ALL read posts on this forum about guys who use these as DD (Daily Drivers) and then someone hits them or whatever and then they're playing hell just to get a dime of what the truck is really worth. This has been an ongoing discussion since I've joined this site.

BadPurple70Chevy; Question; is this a DD or Weekend cruiser with a Secure garage? I looked into Grundy as well when I was choosing my coverage, but went with Hagerty because I felt like they know the hobby a lot better than Grundy. But of course this is my ever so Humble Opinion.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
Tinkermc

they had their person come out and determine a value policy states to retore to preaccident condition or pay me 100,00. I feel very confortable since there are no aftermarket parts except air and oil filter,
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
muckyp

I just got mine insured a few weeks ago and went with Safeco. $158 a year for $10000 stated value coverage. Garaged non dd. Given the previous posts, I think I need to make sure how they cover claims. Guess I didn't totally understand stated value vs agreed value.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #22
BIG ORANGE

I've used Grundy on all the high end truck that I've built over the yr's, have it on the 69 surviver truck today!

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckyp View Post
I just got mine insured a few weeks ago and went with Safeco. $158 a year for $10000 stated value coverage. Garaged non dd. Given the previous posts, I think I need to make sure how they cover claims. Guess I didn't totally understand stated value vs agreed value.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good idea.....
72 4x4
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
Bill72

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckyp View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Had Safeco on a 1 of 46 1996 Firehawk. In the case of a totaled vehicle they use a company called CCC Valuscope to determine value regardless of if it was stated/agreed value or not. CCC Valuscope has multiple class action lawsuits against them and has paid multi-million dollar settlements for a long list of unethical practices, including doctoring their comps. I busted them on this exact thing as well as other lies when they submitted comps from the internet that I had printed out and was also using. They had doctored everything but the VIN. If it had been a vehicle with much higher production it would have been very difficult to catch them. All of their history is known by Safeco and they still use them. Safeco joined in the lies until they realized I had proof. Safeco has good rates partially because they knowingly are participating in unethical business practices. I gladly pay higher rates to a company with higher standards. In the years I was with Safeco I never spoke to an honest person.
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
chevy72blu

There was a longish threat on insurance a while back but I never did make a decision.

I am about to have my 72 back on the road with an LS1/4l60e and plan to DD it. Are there any good options out there for a DD vehicle (maybe 6-7k miles a year, if that). Value is probably around 12k in todays market (with the 7 grand I will have spent on the drivetrain swap). Stored in a locked garage at my home.

My agent for my our other car (State farm) said it was no problem, but I am sure this is a stated value policy and I would be KBB fighting pricing in the event of a loss. Biggest fear is fire - I figure if the truck is totaled in a wreck I wont be walking away from it.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote