The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Kingjasn

Johnny Cash special "Maggie Mayhem" 65 c10 short step.

I have had this girl for about 13 months now. I got it in driving condition, sorta. Lights and wiring were iffy, and only worked about half the trip home (which was after dark! spOOky) I wish I had taken pics of the wiring process, but basically, I just went medieval and snatched ALL the wires out. I have some of the original stuff left if anyone might need something. I got the wiring done correctly the first time, and that kinda surprised me. I am a diesel mechanic for a garbage company, so I have the confidence to do the things I want to mechanically, but body, wires, and "bling" are some things I am going to have to teach myself.

The plan was to just get her to a daily driver stage, and take care of it. I guess I am not the first person to change my mind on that thought. I decided to do a somewhat frame off restoration, but on a SERIOUS budget. I am going to strip her naked, clean and protect the rust free frame (a rare find in the coastal south), fix the rust spots that seems like the factory installs in these trucks, and paint her satin black with cobalt blue cab top, hood, and details. Might kick around the idea of white pin striping also. I am going to paint pinup style nose art on her doors.

I am a crafty kinda guy, so I am sure that the most expensive part of the build will be rhino lining the frame and underside of all body parts. I have put in recovered heart pine in the bed for now, but I have connections with some people that deal with Ipe, a hardwood from Brazil, and I will be putting that in for the final. Let's get some pics up now.

These are from the night I drove it home.
Name:  100_9127.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  100_9129.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  100_9128.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  100_9130.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  100_9125.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  30.4 KB

more to come...
Kingjasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Kingjasn

Re: Johnny Cash special "Maggie Mayhem" 65 c10 short step.

I forgot, I have found that some of the truck is a 64, and some is a 65. had holes in the piece behind the hood for the 65 emblems, but the fenders are from a 64. guess one of the other owners didn't want both sets on there at the same time. I will be putting a six shooter in it. I think I will replace the solid rims with some black wagon wheels, don't know for sure yet. Started body part assessment last week, and tried out my hand at body work.

after sanding about 3/8" of bondo, i found this
Name:  100_0181.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  54.3 KB

i cut out the cancer, and cut a piece of 55 gal drum for the new piece. this is the very first time I have ever even tried to sculpt steel, but I think it turned out ok
Name:  100_0182.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  61.2 KB

i think I will be able to smooth this with a good filler primer, couple coats maybe.
Name:  100_0183.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 12-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Bomp

Pretty good for a first crack at patch panels.
Rest of the truck looks pretty solid.
Glad I ran across this one, looks like you may have more instore in the future.
Watchin'
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
Kingjasn

Thanks Bomp! I think I will be shooting from the hip on a lot of this, but all I can do is screw it up or get it right.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Solo2002

Nice truck good luck on your build
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
boat

Cool truck nice patch work Johnny cash caught my attention big fan
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Kingjasn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat View Post
Cool truck nice patch work Johnny cash caught my attention big fan
Posted via Mobile Device
Johnny was the MAN!! My daughter loves him too, she is only 3, but when she hears him, she stops what she is doing and dances and sings with it! I called this thread that because of all the different years I have found that are part of my truck. I got 64, 65, and 66 panels and interior, a Ford seat, the motor was a built 350 from a 71 camaro according to the numbers, had double hump heads, and some serious compression. would smoke the wheels through all 3 gears in the turbo 350 trans!

I got a little more done today with rust repair.
Name:  100_0324.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  100_0320.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  100_0321.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  56.3 KB
I decided that i didn't like the hood bouncing in the middle, so I welded a cross brace made out of an extra bed support i had. a little padding and I'm set.
Name:  100_0322.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  40.0 KB
well, guess I need to get new fender braces, for both sides. I was gonna try to fab something up, but just gonna order both.
Name:  100_0325.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  78.2 KB
Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Kingjasn

well, just got finished making a new steering wheel. welded up, sprayed with rubberized undercoating, and found a cool wooden suicide knob to put on too!!
Name:  100_0326.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  58.1 KB
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Narxoleptic Customs

Sweet!! I like the 55 gal drum patch panel. Good work and keep it up. We r watching...
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Kingjasn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narxoleptic Customs View Post
Sweet!! I like the 55 gal drum patch panel. Good work and keep it up. We r watching...
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks!! the drum is the same thickness, or close anyway, as the body panels, and CHEAP. I get em free from work.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
McMurphy

Hello there and to the site !!

I liked the hood stiffner you put in.
I got an extra hood, and from it I pulled one of the other brace rails and mounted it up the center.
Not so much for the support, but to run wires in. I guess it will be a support now by default, otherwise I would probably do the same as you did on this.

And yeah, am a Johnny Cash fan here too.
For a long time "Ragged Old Flag" was a sad favorite of mine, but in the past 10 years the American people have really changed in their attitudes regarding the nation and her service members.

Makes ya kind of proud !!

Keep us in pics as you go, we really like this stuff around here

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
Kingjasn

Thanks for the kudos, but I have to give major kudos and more thanks than I can express for yours and the service of all our nations military personnel. I was headed for that route in my life, but knee and ankle injuries prevented it.

Now a little side note: I have a 3 year old daughter, and me, my wife and daughter were eating at a local burger joint the other night. An elderly man whose labored walking caught my eye. He had a hat on that only had the vietnam ribbon embroidered on the front. The look on his face was one of indifference. I told my wife to watch and I was going to make his day. She looked at me kinda strange, but waited and watched. Then I told my daughter "Go and tell that nice man over there 'Thank you very much' and then give him a hug". She is very social, so she didn't hesitate to run right to him. He looked down, then bent down to hear what this strange little girl was trying to tell him. They were about 15 to 20 feet away from us, so we couldn't hear the conversation, but when they hugged, everyone around them that saw, and heard, started to tear up. The gentleman stood back up with the biggest proudest tear soaked smile I have seen. After that he appeared 10 foot tall and bullet proof for the remainder of his stay, even walked with less of a gimp on his way out. I have taught my daughter to do this, and every time she see's a person in uniform, she runs to say thank you and hug them. Makes me proud.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Kingjasn

Well, I didn't get much done today. I attacked the radiator core support though. bottom corner rot had to be fixed. It isn't perfect, but it all lines up and it's sturdy. This truck is going to be a daily driver, so all I really need is safe and functional, anything else is just perks. If I ever 'show' this truck it will definitely have to be entered in working class... if there is such a category.

Name:  100_0166.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  100_0167.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  100_0188.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  100_0189.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  48.1 KB
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Kingjasn

oh yeah, I almost forgot that I decided I am going to do a roll pan at the back, so I had this bumper that I didn't need, and it wouldn't be worth the $$ to ship it next door. I also had a tailgate that I didn't want to use because it is bent up in the usual place... on the 'R' from a hitch. Here is what I did with it. it still needs arm rests, but my wife loves to sit on it when she watches me work on Maggie.
Name:  100_9602.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  84.5 KB
Name:  100_9603.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  78.9 KB

I have thought about making these and selling them, but I don't know if anyone else appreciates my style of tacky!

Last edited by Kingjasn; 12-03-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
McMurphy

You know, my wife and I are both career soldiers.
We walk thru the airports in uniform as we go from one assignment to another or on official business, and the out pour of respect from people is so amazing you would never believe that our fathers, and grandfathers were spit on in those same buildings as they came home from Viet Nam.

All I can say for myself is that it is an honor to serve.

We have a great nation, I just hope we dont muck it up!

Now on to the topic.... that is the second bench I have seen made out of a tailgate, the first one the fellow used the old bed wood for the seat!

Nicely done !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
niterider65

Cool Re: Johnny Cash special "Maggie Mayhem" 65 c10 short step.

looking go so far i like how you used the drum for fender patching ..
will keep watching
niterider65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Ta2Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjasn View Post
oh yeah, I almost forgot that I decided I am going to do a roll pan at the back, so I had this bumper that I didn't need, and it wouldn't be worth the $$ to ship it next door. I also had a tailgate that I didn't want to use because it is bent up in the usual place... on the 'R' from a hitch. Here is what I did with it. it still needs arm rests, but my wife loves to sit on it when she watches me work on Maggie.
Attachment 1021827
Attachment 1021828

I have thought about making these and selling them, but I don't know if anyone else appreciates my style of tacky!
I love the bench... Welcome aboard and I concur with the statement about wanting to skip work and work on project to post here... Loving my build and watching a handful of others here. Will be watching yours now too... Enjoy and keep up the great work!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
Kingjasn

Man!! If I had to pick one thing to say about this forum, it's that you can't help but want to call out of work tomorrow just to get some progress to post! Everyone here is so complimentary and cordial. Thanks for all the well wishes!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjasn View Post
Man!! If I had to pick one thing to say about this forum, it's that you can't help but want to call out of work tomorrow just to get some progress to post! Everyone here is so complimentary and cordial. Thanks for all the well wishes!

It looks like you have a good handle on the build. Nice progress. I like the "working class" entry for car shows.
I agree about skippin out of work just to post stuff. Shoot, I'd skip work just to post vids so that McMurphy doesn't get ahead of me.(thats another story)
You have a cute little assistant too.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
It looks like you have a good handle on the build. Nice progress. I like the "working class" entry for car shows.
I agree about skippin out of work just to post stuff. Shoot, I'd skip work just to post vids so that McMurphy doesn't get ahead of me.(thats another story)
You have a cute little assistant too.
Really Bomp? REALLY !!!!

I did a swap from an 1981 GMC for my front disc set up, it had its challenges, but it was not as horrific as I thought it would be.... well other than the 8lb BFH incident.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Kingjasn

well, this is an update, but not one I wanted to post. Just a minor setback really. I found out today that the 6 shooter I was counting on isn't going to be available after all. The fellow that owns the motor has to sell the truck. Guess I am back in the market for a IL6 now.

Just gotta smile about it and realize that now I have more time to do some more body work and rust elimination.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Kingjasn

So, I have a silly question... i have about 6 things I found while cleaning out my shed. I need to upgrade to a Premium member to list them to sell right?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
Kingjasn

Thank you Don!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
flips72

sweet bench, truck is really nice as well.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Kingjasn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
sweet bench, truck is really nice as well.
Thanks flips!

So, I want to put disk brakes on the front of my truck... I thought that I was needing to find a 71 or 72 chevy for the donor parts, as I don't want to spend 62 trillion dollars for a kit. I have heard in some conversations that those aren't the only years I should look for. What years will work?

Thanks,
Jason