The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
87stepper

stepside pop quiz

Hey guys new to the site amazed at the amount of info on here will definetly help in the years to come I am currently redoing my 87 stepside 4x4 and am in the process of puting in the bed wood the outter boards that are closer to the bedsides are narrower then the rest how are they bolted down from underneath i have five cross sills but seven usable spots for them pictures would be awesome any info would be great thanks.
87stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
1LowToy

Re: stepside pop quiz

Sides of the bed have a L shaped rail on the inside of the bed. The wood mounts below that. Still need pics? I have 2 beds one to work on and one to figure out where the which a ma call it went.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Greenlee

I'm about to start on this to on an 87' 4x4. Check out the Mar-K website. They have good instructions on their site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
87stepper

yeah i checked out mar-k i am a visual kinda guy i bought the red oak from "bedwood" wondering if i am suppose to just stagger cross sills evenly or is there a certain orientation have everything mocked up just want to be 100 percent before i drill the side boards.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
74 stepside

Heres a couple, not sure if that answers your question. Whip out your tape measure and a pencil to double check everything before you drill. Cross sills should be bolted in first then lay out the wood. Its really not hard, Ive done a few.
Attached Images

74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
1LowToy

Cross sills have to mount to the frame and also line up with the top trim. So I think a mock up is in order. I don't know how tollerent they were when they put it together to begin with. Thankfully I still have my old wood.

Is this wood kit not drilled at all?

Note: there are some sleeves that are on the main mounting bolts that must be there or you will crush or crack your new wood.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 01-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
87stepper

I started the mock up but have found that the wood wasn't drilled the same to match the sleeves in the bed so after waiting a month and a bit for the wood and $300 in shipping and customs i might have to wait longer depending on what bedwood says. Thanks for the tip on the sleeves i was just gonna cut them flush and use the bed wood hardware.