The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Jimbabwe

power steering pump

Does a Saginaw power steering pump mount differently than a Chevy PS pump like the ones in the attached photos? I kind of like the more trim looks of the Chevy pump. It's going on a truck with a Unisteer power rack, and a straight six, if that matters. Thanks.
Attached Images

Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: power steering pump

i think the older cans on the pump looked like that. i put p/s on mine and used a wider top can like the newer ones. are those pic's of yours? inline 6 p/s can be hard to find. you might be able to find the small top cans.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Russ.W.

They mount the same. The actual pump is the same, it's only the external housing that is shaped differently.

The only other thing that differs on Saginaw's is the hose outlet. Sometimes it'll point a different direction. Straight out, curved to the right etc.

The PS pump on my 1967 Chevy Impala is the same as the pump on my 1970 Dodge Challenger.

Bit of insight if you're interested: http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature34.html

Last edited by Russ.W.; 01-21-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Jimbabwe

Ahh, I couldn't find brackets to use with the I6 after installing the power rack with the Porterbuilt dropmember, so I temporarily ran the rack manually. I just bought the PS brackets on ebay and I have a Saginaw pump I took out of a '69 (looks like the picture I am attaching) Looking through a post regarding straight sixes I noticed a few with the pumps I just posted. I Googled them and see that they're Chevy pumps. So if I were to get a Chevy one rather than use the Saginaw it will bolt right onto the same brackets? Good to know. The ebay listing just said they were for a Saginaw pump.
Here's a pic of the brackets and the same pump as what mine looks like...
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Russ.W.

Yeah they're the same thing. Just a different shaped housing/reservoir. Will fit the same brackets.

Is that the bracket on eBay from "davispeedequip"? I have the very same bracket in my watch list ready to buy.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
ole dollor

with that set up this is the pump i used, note the bolt holes in the front and rear of the pump. and the position of the bolt holes...
Attached Images

ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Jimbabwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
with that set up this is the pump i used, note the bolt holes in the front and rear of the pump. and the position of the bolt holes...
Yep, that's what the one I have looks like. A type 1, or 2 is what I saw on google. Mine still has the V8 brackets on it. I didn't look at it too closely. It was on my previous '69, so I kept it thinking I'd use it for this truck. I just like the more trim way the Chevy one looks since it's going to be up top, above the alternator on the I6.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
Jimbabwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
Yeah they're the same thing. Just a different shaped housing/reservoir. Will fit the same brackets.

Is that the bracket on eBay from "davispeedequip"? I have the very same bracket in my watch list ready to buy.
That is the exact bracket I'm talking about! lolife99 hooked me up with the link on my "not a build, build" earlier and I just ordered it. No more searching!