The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Question Direction of Trucks! LSX build on Spike?

For those of you who saw the first episode of the LSx swap the guys on Trucks:

What do you think about their direction for the build?

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
C10_ustacould

Re: Direction of Trucks! LSX build on Spike?

For the record, I think they are about to ruin a perfectly good factory big block truck. As if it wasn't bad enough they are losing the big block, it sounds like they are going to put the late model seat in it too! Bad form in my opinion, there are plenty of good 6 cyl 3 ott or even small block trucks out there to do this to, they should have left the big block truck alone. I realize it was not the original engine, but it deserved to remain a big block truck. What do you all think?

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
jocko

Yeah, the late model seat thing is bad jamba (my 2 cents only), but the show doesn't normally focus on restos - and there are a lot of folks out there interested in putting a modern LS into C10s, so I would imagine it's designed to demo that process. For what it's worth, not certain it was an original big block truck or not - but the big block in it was a 454, so, not original by any stretch.

Yes, if it were MY truck, I'd lean toward a restored interior and engine, but, it's just a show and they are trying to make it interesting to the audience - I think being part of Powerblock kinda means they are there to modify stuff. The 66 C10 they did that included air-ride susp, etc was pretty slick. But I do hope they change their mind about using the late model seats from the wrecked silverado (or at least remove the headrests...). If I didn't have the original engine layin around, by all means, I'd love to swap an LS into it.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Yeah, the late model seat thing is bad jamba (my 2 cents only), but the show doesn't normally focus on restos - and there are a lot of folks out there interested in putting a modern LS into C10s, so I would imagine it's designed to demo that process. For what it's worth, not certain it was an original big block truck or not - but the big block in it was a 454, so, not original by any stretch.

Yes, if it were MY truck, I'd lean toward a restored interior and engine, but, it's just a show and they are trying to make it interesting to the audience - I think being part of Powerblock kinda means they are there to modify stuff. The 66 C10 they did that included air-ride susp, etc was pretty slick. But I do hope they change their mind about using the late model seats from the wrecked silverado (or at least remove the headrests...). If I didn't have the original engine layin around, by all means, I'd love to swap an LS into it.

Wrong about "just trying to make it interesting".They are trying to make money for the sponsors,Period.If you'll notice they give out names and addys of the places they get parts.They're basically just suporting sponsors.The intrest is just to get programing market share.
I don't think they started with a bad truck but I do agree they should have bought closer to what they wanted.Probably the car lot sponsor didn't have a SBC or 6 cyl available.I personally like the 6 cyl trucks but that is a personal preference.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Wrong about "just trying to make it interesting".They are trying to make money for the sponsors,Period.If you'll notice they give out names and addys of the places they get parts.They're basically just suporting sponsors.The intrest is just to get programing market share.
I don't think they started with a bad truck but I do agree they should have bought closer to what they wanted.Probably the car lot sponsor didn't have a SBC or 6 cyl available.I personally like the 6 cyl trucks but that is a personal preference.
PanelDeland there are several nice junkyards around them that has what they need.Ask some of the guys here.

That truck isn't as nice under all the bondo under the paint as you can see on tv.That truck was totoled twice in the late 70's and early 80's according to a friend that knows the truck. It was bought close.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
1972BackInBlackC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
PanelDeland there are several nice junkyards around them that has what they need.Ask some of the guys here.

That truck isn't as nice under all the bondo under the paint as you can see on tv.That truck was totoled twice in the late 70's and early 80's according to a friend that knows the truck. It was bought close.
if you watched the one where they replaced the driver side door your right the door was full of bondo so im guessing theres plenty more where that came from
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
PAWS 72

I've got pics of the truck at a show I was in a few years ago and the guy that sold it Tryed to buy 1st place in the original class.It wasn't good enough for 3rd much less 1'st.But he got 2nd and I wound up 3rd. The guy that knows the truck was telling me why that situation happened the way it did. I'm not whining but thats what happened.

Also the truck isn't a original BB, Cheyenne,Badgein.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
capev86

yeah, the newer seat is just the wrong direction for an original loaded cheyenne. they might as well shave everything and slam it like a custom truck while they are at it. personally, i think the original bench seat in my 72 Burb is pretty comfortable.

but since it isn't the original engine, an engine swap isn't a bad idea. only, with the budget they have to work with, they should have gone bigger than a 6.0. the 427 LS7 comes to mind, or even an LSX 454. an aluminum block would be nice too to get that big power but awesome weight balance.

more old school (and less environmentally friendly) would have been a 572 swap (anyone remember Stacy David's Copperhead?). that is an actual big block, rather than a super bored/stroked small block LS motor.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

These are trucks... Make 'em into whatever you see fit. I'm glad there are purists that wanna keep stuff original... so I don't have to.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
LSUMurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
These are trucks... Make 'em into whatever you see fit. I'm glad there are purists that wanna keep stuff original... so I don't have to.

Gary
I agree. My 2006 Tahoe seats (recently installed) cushion my fat butt rrrreeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllll nice.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
These are trucks... Make 'em into whatever you see fit.
Yep.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
C10_ustacould

I guess I should reveal myself, I am not a purist. I have a '68 swb step side with a 5.3L/4l60e lowered 4.5/6 on 20/22 Coys C-57s. But my truck was a fresh off the farm 6 cylinder 3 ott, nothing special. My interior, although updated with electronic gauges, is pretty much factory appearing. Kevin Tetz talked about having the safety of three point seat belts in the newer seats with out cutting and welding... 3 point retractable seat belts are a bolt in for 67-72 trucks. Did they do any research? Bring in any experts? I just feel they are going to end up with a gaudy truck filled with the latest specials that autozone and LMC have to offer. Again, just my opinion. But we all know opinions are like... Well, I better leave that quote to the imagination.

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #13
Nick81

I'm interested in the Ls swap myself. I would like to put one in my truck in the next couple of years. My truck is not a bb truck. I would kept with a original interior. They said something about using the original air system but I see them just putting in a vintage air.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Nick81; 01-21-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Nick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksSS View Post
I guess I should reveal myself, I am not a purist. I have a '68 swb step side with a 5.3L/4l60e lowered 4.5/6 on 20/22 Coys C-57s. But my truck was a fresh off the farm 6 cylinder 3 ott, nothing special. My interior, although updated with electronic gauges, is pretty much factory appearing. Kevin Tetz talked about having the safety of three point seat belts in the newer seats with out cutting and welding... 3 point retractable seat belts are a bolt in for 67-72 trucks. Did they do any research? Bring in any experts? I just feel they are going to end up with a gaudy truck filled with the latest specials that autozone and LMC have to offer. Again, just my opinion. But we all know opinions are like... Well, I better leave that quote to the imagination.
You and I think alike. If I were building that truck for me Id go your direction, especially IF its a BB truck. But, thank goodness, these are trucks, not Corvettes, and we can modify them like 57 Chevys and not hurt the value.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
no moa

I like it. The seat idea is ok, thought the don't match for crap. I can't wait to see how the holly mounts fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by no moa View Post
I like it. The seat idea is ok, thought the don't match for crap. I can't wait to see how the holly mounts fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
The bad part is, due to Holley being a sponsor, if they did not fit, you would never know it! I am sure they work fine, though. Holley is not a "fly by night" kind of operation.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
shopking72

I def like what they are doing with the motor part of it. Seats would look better if they were black.
2001 Tahoe LT
2013 Hyundai Elantra
2010 Kawasaki Z1000
shopking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
69GWC

I think its funny they are taking out a "gas guzzler " and installing a "more efficient motor that will get better mileage ", now thats a hoot.
I guess if they think going from 10mpg to 11mpg is a big improvement . LoL

I had a 95 1ton with a 454, 10/11 mpg was the best it ever did and my 02 2500 6.0.l never seen over 12mpg, me I would take the power of the BB all day long and keep it looking better to boot.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
daves72C10D

Well, I am a purist too. I like to see original restored vehicle of all makes. I feel if a vehicle is rare or close to an original condition it should be kept restored to original. Some vehicles that need a total restoration to be saved would be great for wild one off builds. Just my $0.02 which is worht less more and more each passing day.
1990 Eagle Talon AWD
1991.5 W250 CTD
1992 Cushman Truckster- Haulster
daves72C10D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
big_al_71

I am all in for the modern power train i dont like the seats at all.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
C10_ustacould

I guess I ignored the obvious in my initial reaction to their build... it's a TV show. TV shows are about sponsors and making profit so I understand the need to use certain products and for the truck to take a more modified theme. With that said, how cool would it have been to see them say something like, " for suspension we called Nathan Porter at Porterbuilt Fabrication." Or even, "For the interior we contacted a board member (truckseats) of the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum and received these ultra cool hounds-tooth bucket seat covers." I guess I am showing how naive I am to big business!

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
higXtech

im just happy they are working on it again...
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
C10_ustacould

Quote:
Originally Posted by higXtech View Post
im just happy they are working on it again...
Very true!
Posted via Mobile Device

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
no moa

I kind of figured it wasn't an original. Who would do that? lol.

I am also a purist, but if the purity isn't there, screw it, build it however you want. Like my truck, i thought it was an original BB SWB truck (frame cutting b#$@#@#@#@#). Nope, BB LWB truck, so i'm building it any way i can.

I have learned alot from the powerblock, and i think they will have a sweet truck when done. I hate its on in the early mornings on weekends, it should get some prime time!!!!!

Where the heck is Overhauling anyway? I don't get its new home on Velocity.
I want to submit and app for my dads 66 GTO convert. lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
Scott>72-GMC

I would think they could improve mileage some what with mods can't say much about this engine but my 05 got 19-20 mpg with or without trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
Scott>72-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote