The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
tipshep

TPI fuel tank?

Thinking about installing a TPI in my 72 GMC, mild 327 etc. Wondering on a fuel tank to use. I have a factory unit with return lines, etc. behind the seat. I was told Jeep Cherokee (the small 4.0L) tanks work well in the pickup, have the F.I. pump,so on. Also, may check the small Blazer, maybe the Tahoes, etc, not sure where they mount. I'll measure and go to the local pull a part. Don't want to do an inline pump, they don't last as well. Curious what others have done.
tipshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: TPI fuel tank?

-
-
I bought a book on TPI installations and the guy that wrote it recommends a 78-81 Nissan/Datsun 280ZX external pump. Advance Auto Parts online # is E8312. When I looked it was $107.98.

He says you can put a "T" fitting in the intake side of the pump and just run the return line to it. That would be great with a stock tank. If you have a return line in your tank I guess you could use it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
jasons
not enough hours in the day

These people have fuel injection pumps to retrofit into your tank, http://www.tanksinc.com/. They have pumps rated for different fuel injection systems. I just ordered one this morning for my Blazer TBI conversion. I didn't want an external pump and this was the best option I came across.
85 K-10
& piles of spare parts
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
MARKDTN

If you can't afford a custom tank, I used an '87 2.8 S10 Blazer tank on a '72 SWB. It has the correct resistance on the fuel sender that the Jeep tank will not. I swapped the pump for an '89 IROC pump. I swapped the fuel hose and clamps for FI rated hose. I actually used the Blazer fuel lines but in the front, I used 3.1 Lumina lines and hydraulic unions (not brass gas unions-they are not rated for the higher pressure) to join it to the Blazer lines.

If you don't mind the tank behind the seat and it has a return port, you can use an '88 Ford truck external pump. It has the correct pressure characteristics for a TPI. You will still need FI hose and clamps and a way to transition from the hard lines to the intake fuel inlet/outlet.

Are you going Speed-Density or Mass Air? Are you using a weatherproof PCM in the engine compartment or one inside? If inside, where are you putting it? If you have A/C and are putting it behind the glove box you will eat most of the glove box space.

I love TPI and have done several installations. If you have questions, I am happy to help if I can.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
tipshep

Planning on using speed density, and will most likely install the ecu inside, the truck currently does not have a/c (will use Vintage Air surefit) don't really care if the glove box is reduced. Thanks
tipshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
MARKDTN

If I did another one, I would use the Corvette style (also used on Cutlass and Lumina) weatherproof PCM and mount it in the engine compartment. One of the neat things to me about a 67-72 is the nice big glovebox.

Are you making your own harness or buying one? I have used Howell (recommend) and Fuel Injection Specialties (not so much). I would also stay away from Painless. The wires used by Painless and FIS is not as big, and the finish is not as nice. I have not used a Street and Performance harness, but they look very nice.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote