The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
sqrlnts

What retracts my detent (kickdown) cable?

Hi all, i have a 350 chevy, 350TH trans out of a 72" Monte Carlo in a 57 Chevy Truck. I recently replaced the detent cable and noticed that it does not retract itself with the engine off. The truck has not hit the pavement yet so I don't know if actually works when running down the road. The carb extracts the cable fine but I am wondering if it is binding or has a weak retract spring, IF that is how it retracts.

Any ideas? Thanks.
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
sqrlnts

Re: What retracts my detent (kickdown) cable?

Maybe pics will help. and don't laugh because my distributor is bigger than my carburetor!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Divine 59

On chev V8 engines the transmission detent cable is operated by the carb linkage (if I recall correctly). Once the carb "opens up to the prescribed position the detent cable is activated. Someone else may chime in too.
Divine 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Divine 59

I always use a double spring set up on my V8's. The spring you have on there looks weak/stretched.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine 59 View Post
I always use a double spring set up on my V8's. The spring you have on there looks weak/stretched.
Thanks for the reply. I agree my spring is over stretched and needs replaced but it currently closes the carb linkage fine. My detent cable opens when the carb opens fine, its when my carb closes the detent cable remains pulled out and does not retract. I don't know if this is correct.

I see some detent cables with the elongated hole like mine bolted solid to the carb linkage, others I see have a stud that looks to allow the detent cable end to slide along in its groove.

When I remove and mostly straighten the detent cable it does retract but not with much force.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Divine 59

Maybe this will help?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=1788409
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Divine 59

The detent cable may be in a bind the way it currently sits. If you straighten it and the force to retract it lessens, I would try to route it so it moves freely. Maybe that will take care of it.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
1project2many

The detent cable on the THM350 does not always touch the carb linkage at rest. The most important part is the wide open adjustment. If the cable is nearly at max "pull" when the carb is wide open it's adjusted correctly. If the carb can't open all the way the cable is too short. If you open the carb and you can pull the cable more it's too long.

If you need to adjust the cable push the "D" shaped button on top of the cable on the back side of the mounting bracket to release the cable housing lock. The cable housing will slide back when you do this. Holding the button down, pull the carb linkage wide open then release the button to lock the housing.

If you pull the cable all the way out without opening the carb it should quickly return to the position it started from. For most people that works well enough.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Stepside Jim

1project2many gave good advise on the adjustment. The long slot provided on the kick down cable allows the pin from the carb to slide within until you come to near 3/4 to full throttle. This is the critical adjustment zone.

As for the cable retracting within itself... where the cable goes into the transmission it is hooked to a linkage about 3 to 4 inches long. This linkage is then connected to another piece that pivots. As this piece pivots, it is pushing on a spring loaded plunger that is functioning within the valve body.

To answer your question..... what retracts the cable? The spring loaded plunger within the valve body is the only retracting item. It doesn't have alot of tension so if your kick down cable has been kinked or crimped it may need replacing.

Also, the cable only moves back and forth about 3/4" to 1 ". This isn't far, but once you figure the length of the slot in the end of the cable, you'll get a couple inches of travel.

I hope this helps, Jim
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
If you pull the cable all the way out without opening the carb it should quickly return to the position it started from. For most people that works well enough.
Mine does not. Its a new cable but I think I can improve the cable routing a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
1project2many gave good advise on the adjustment. The long slot provided on the kick down cable allows the pin from the carb to slide within until you come to near 3/4 to full throttle. This is the critical adjustment zone.

As for the cable retracting within itself... where the cable goes into the transmission it is hooked to a linkage about 3 to 4 inches long. This linkage is then connected to another piece that pivots. As this piece pivots, it is pushing on a spring loaded plunger that is functioning within the valve body.

To answer your question..... what retracts the cable? The spring loaded plunger within the valve body is the only retracting item. It doesn't have alot of tension so if your kick down cable has been kinked or crimped it may need replacing.

Also, the cable only moves back and forth about 3/4" to 1 ". This isn't far, but once you figure the length of the slot in the end of the cable, you'll get a couple inches of travel.

I hope this helps, Jim
Thanks Jim!