The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
mmsidaho

Brake Booster and Master Cylinder Question

I've read some other posts regarding master cylinders and it has been indicated that for trucks with disks on the front and drums on the back, like my 1972 C10, the two reservoirs in the master cylinder are different sizes with the front reservoir being larger because it feeds the front disk brakes.

If you look at the picture, I believe my master cylinder reservoirs are the same size, but I'll have to check tonight when I get home to make sure. The brakes seemed to work fine before I started tearing the truck apart, but as part of my rebuild I'm likely going to buy a remanufactured master cylinder and I want to make sure I get the correct type.

Also, I'm assuming I've got a Bendix type booster and not the Delco Moraine...can anyone confirm this from the picture?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Brake Booster and Master Cylinder Question

My 72 Blazer 4wd with disks up front has equal-sized reservoirs.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
1972SUPERSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsidaho View Post
I've read some other posts regarding master cylinders and it has been indicated that for trucks with disks on the front and drums on the back, like my 1972 C10, the two reservoirs in the master cylinder are different sizes with the front reservoir being larger because it feeds the front disk brakes.

If you look at the picture, I believe my master cylinder reservoirs are the same size, but I'll have to check tonight when I get home to make sure. The brakes seemed to work fine before I started tearing the truck apart, but as part of my rebuild I'm likely going to buy a remanufactured master cylinder and I want to make sure I get the correct type.

Also, I'm assuming I've got a Bendix type booster and not the Delco Moraine...can anyone confirm this from the picture?

Thanks.
I will be buying new booster and master cylinder soon also. I will be getting an ac delco m/c. The delco boosters have little triangles stamped in front of booster and usaully a stamp with delco moraine. My 72 has the stamp just to the right of the master cylinder on the booster. I will have to check my m/c but I think the front half is bigger for the disc brakes
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 350, Auto, Bucket Seats w/Console, Tach, Factory A/C, P/S ,P/B, Tilt

1998 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab 5.7, Pewter w/blue interior
1972SUPERSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

The MC in my '72 K20 looks like the one in your pic. The cap is reversible and makes it appear that the reservoirs are the same size, but they're not. The front reservoir is smaller and feeds the rear drums -- the larger back reservoir feeds the front discs.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote