The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
sevensixoh

So mad !! new tranny did not bolt up !!!

aHHHH !!!

So my 60 apache , connected to a 283 powerglide needed a tranny rebuild . I went they cheapo route and found a donor powerglide from a 1960 bel air and after all the laborious work ( not a mechanic ) only about 4 of the 11 bolts lined up !! and then the starter wouldn't fit either !! don't know what to do .... I think a rebuild quote was way too much and know contemplating a 350 .... wondering if that will bolt up ??
sevensixoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: So mad !! new tranny did not bolt up !!!

If the Glide out of the 60 Bel Air was attached to a V8, it should have bolted right in.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
geezer#99

You probably need the adaptor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-1961-Ch...-/390384378991
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Auctioneerhere

SBC is SBC, Same Bolt pattern as a BBC.
Auctioneerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
100%Chevy

Geezer99 is correct!
You need the adapter.
And if the trans came from a six,it will not fit!It will only fit a six.
In 62,the powerglide was aluminum and would fit without an adapter.
You will also need an end-mount starter to bolt to the adapter.
And,that adapter is way too much money!Shop around!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
LT1 Burb

Too bad I took a cast iron glide to the scrap yard with all that crap on it, no one wanted it.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would definitely go with a TH350 instead of another Powerglide. And yes a TH350 will bolt up to your 283 as long as you get a Chevy TH350 and not the BOP version. A TH350 will make your truck much nicer to drive IMO.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
kieth

If you are going to change why not go to a 700r4 and get performance and fuel economy.....Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
sevensixoh

Thanks for all your help gentleman !! much appreciated , Im leaning towards the th 350 now. But if i did buy the adapter plate , would my stock starter fit right in or would i have to change the starter as well . Thanks in advance .
Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
cru_zn_29

I think i have the adapter and starter parts you need.
Kenny
cru_zn_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
sevensixoh

Your right !! i only have about a Quarter of an inch of play and that adapter plate looks 1/2 inch thick !!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
losthope

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensixoh View Post
Your right !! i only have about a Quarter of an inch of play and that adapter plate looks 1/2 inch thick !!

since i assume your trying to get your truck going on the cheap...cheapest route would most likely be findind the same type/length powerglide in running condition, that you had in there in the first place...or having yours rebuilt..

not every trans length is the same so if your planning on swapping a different trans in you need to find one thats very close in length or you will be forking out money to have your driveline lengthened or shortened depending on trans you go with and also may need special cables and bracket for certain tran's...this link may help you a little:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chev...tm%3B630%3B503

what you need/should do is is sit back and get a game plan,and make a price list of what it will cost to put the replacement trans you already have(dont know if you paid for it or not) and parts that will take to swap it and find out the cost and compare it to what itll cost to either, 1. find a correct running powerglide to do a direct swap, 2. rebuild your original power glide for a exact fit, 3. or a th350, 700r4 ( drivline shortened or lengthened and other parts to do this swap , like kickdown or TV cables and brackets to hook them up, and shift linkages)...and see if the cost is even worth trying to use the replacement trans...

so how much is the cost of:

1. cost of trans(you already own it)?
2. cost of adapter plate?
3. cost of starter you will need?
4. will there be a cost to service the drive line because of length?

since you said you have the replacement sitting in the truck now half way bolted in i suggest you :

1. measure old trans and your replacement trans and see if they are the same length or not so you know what your working with ,and what difference in length you might already have

2. with the rear axle under load ( rear end sitting on jackstands) there should be 3/4 to 1 inch of travel in the slip yoke ...i suggest you check that out and see what you have ( that is where you want to be so you dont have driveline issues), then once you find out the adapter measurement you will know if you have enough room or not by also knowing how much play you have in the slip yoke...

i dont know about your area but Around here i can find a used th350 for around $200 and get a driveline built for $300-400, or buy a rebuilt trans(th350 since thats what i bought) for $600 with a 1 year warranty....how much was your rebuild quote?

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 01-30-2013 at 06:20 PM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
losthope

heres the transmission link i meant to post above:
http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
PoDuck

Okay, I have a 1962, which is pretty much the same as yours. My powerglide took a dump several years ago, and I replaced it with a TH350 and have never looked back, especially since I didn't realize that the powerglide was cast iron (not aluminum as said earlier), and I about lost my finger when dropping it out. Nothing like a part trying to dismember you to get you to be happy dumping it.

If you're going to switch to a TH350, you'll have to change out the starter ~$50 without a core, flexplate ~$60, transmission mount (1972 1/2 ton 2wd mount works) ~$5, remove all the mounting hardware for the pg from the back of the motor, and you'll need to get a shift linkage that will bolt up. I went for the Lokar ACA-1800 column shift linkage kit ~$60.

On my truck, the transmission cross member holes weren't quite long enough, so I had to grind them back about half an inch so the transmission mount could be mounted to it while on the transmission.

All said, not including torque converter or transmission, it's less than $200. Even less if you can find parts you need laying around.

As for what someone else said about putting a 700R4 in there, that's a bit more work. I don't see any simple (bolt on style) way to put a 700R4 into a truck with torsion bars. Something would need to be fabricated, since the bolt holes on the 700R4 are a little over 2 inches longer to the transmission mount holes on a TH350, and I pushed the limit on getting those to fit.

Anyway, even though the top gear ratio is still 1:1, the sound is greatly diminished at freeway speeds, and for some reason I'm getting significantly better gas mileage too (18mpg), just since the swap. Before I was only getting 14 mpg. I'm not sure why that would be, but I'm not going to complain. I was happy with a small block chevy motor getting 14 mpg in such a heavy vehicle. With 18, I'm ecstatic.

Hope that helps some.
PoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoDuck View Post
Okay, I have a 1962, which is pretty much the same as yours. My powerglide took a dump several years ago, and I replaced it with a TH350 and have never looked back, especially since I didn't realize that the powerglide was cast iron (not aluminum as said earlier), and I about lost my finger when dropping it out. Nothing like a part trying to dismember you to get you to be happy dumping it.

If you're going to switch to a TH350, you'll have to change out the starter ~$50 without a core, flexplate ~$60, transmission mount (1972 1/2 ton 2wd mount works) ~$5, remove all the mounting hardware for the pg from the back of the motor, and you'll need to get a shift linkage that will bolt up. I went for the Lokar ACA-1800 column shift linkage kit ~$60.

On my truck, the transmission cross member holes weren't quite long enough, so I had to grind them back about half an inch so the transmission mount could be mounted to it while on the transmission.

All said, not including torque converter or transmission, it's less than $200. Even less if you can find parts you need laying around.

As for what someone else said about putting a 700R4 in there, that's a bit more work. I don't see any simple (bolt on style) way to put a 700R4 into a truck with torsion bars. Something would need to be fabricated, since the bolt holes on the 700R4 are a little over 2 inches longer to the transmission mount holes on a TH350, and I pushed the limit on getting those to fit.

Anyway, even though the top gear ratio is still 1:1, the sound is greatly diminished at freeway speeds, and for some reason I'm getting significantly better gas mileage too (18mpg), just since the swap. Before I was only getting 14 mpg. I'm not sure why that would be, but I'm not going to complain. I was happy with a small block chevy motor getting 14 mpg in such a heavy vehicle. With 18, I'm ecstatic.

Hope that helps some.
18 mpg!!!!! With a v8 and th350? How is that? What geara are you running in the rear. I only get 14 max in my 64 with 3.73 gears
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
61K10

pretty sure a cast iron pg is a different length than 62 up alum. which would make the d/s different.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
sevensixoh

Gentleman , thank you for all the advice , this is my first old truck and first time really getting under there and doing some work !!!! I got a qoute to rebuild the cast iron pg and was around 800 to $1300 . Which in my opinion was way to much , and they, said because it is an old trqnny that nobody really works on anymore . So I'm Into the donor tranny for $75 , not bad but I'm thinking of going the 350 route , I figure parts and rebuild would be cheaper since it is a more common tranny than a pg . So wish me luck and ill keep yall posted .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
sevensixoh

Oh yeah ,what is a flexplate ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
losthope

Quote:
Oh yeah ,what is a flexplate ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool stuff glad your getting under it and working on it , you can never ask to many questions! if it were me id also consider a th300 instead of paying that much for a rebuild! th350 are a dime a dozen and you can pick one up fairly cheap and the swap is easy, thats what ive had in two of my trucks, but with 350 motors, does fine for me.......a flex plate is the big metal plate that bolts to the crankshaft on the rear of the motor that has the teeth around the edge that the starter spins to start the motor and the transmissions torque converter bolts to also....good luck!

1954 ford customline
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
sevensixoh

Ah ok , i was calling that a flywheel . but im learning new stuff everyday !!! thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
PoDuck

Quote:
Ah ok , i was calling that a flywheel . but im learning new stuff everyday !!! thanks
With a manual transmission, it is a much thicker piece called a flywheel. Flywheels are made to work with rotational inertia. A flexplate is not, and is only on automatic transmission vehicles.
PoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
sevensixoh

So I was able to get a th 350 with convertor from gimmy 64 ..Thanks !! now the question is , what flexplate and starter do I need to get this thing on the road . please help ... thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #23
losthope

first you should find out what starter will bolt up to your engine block, staggered bolt pattern or in-line bolt pattern then use the correct plate for your application ?

A 168 tooth starter will have staggered mounting bolt holes

and

A 153 tooth starter will have the holes in a straight line.

and

If your starter has 2 sets of mounting holes( found alot on mini starters), it can be used on either flywheel/flexplate.

hope that helps!

1954 ford customline
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
61K10

speedo gear------

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
cori 64

I would not waste my time with a th350 !!Put a 700r4 in it!!if i had a 700r4 right now you could have my th350!!
cori 64 is offline   Reply With Quote