The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
knomadd

Heater control mounting hardware?

I'm in need of some info on the mounting hardware for the heater or A/C controller. The PO removed everything heater related so I don't have any of the hardware or the controller. I had to purchase a new controller from ECE, but can't figure out where to get the hardware, or even what it is so I can go to the local hardware store and buy two screws or bolts...

The question I have is... What is the hardware used to connect the controller to the dash? Screws or Bolts? Any clips or should the controller be tapped? The controller isn't tapped now, so I'm not entirely sure what's supposed to hold it in place.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Mrmadmanmill

Re: Heater control mounting hardware?

I have a 70' in which i completly customized the dash, so i should (in theory) have all the old heater/AC control components... I will take a look tmrw and see what i can find and get back to you. If i have anything you need you can have it no charge...

here is a pick of my old dash... is it the same as yours?
Attached Images

Mrmadmanmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Heater control mounting hardware?

A picture of what you have would be nice so we can see what you have. There should be a bracket attached to the controller so 2 bolts can be fastened from the bottom of dash to it.
Check this thread it shows them.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450409

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
MikeyMan

I just swapped mine out recently with a used one. I have the non-A/C, but the A/C one mounts the same. It's basically 2 screws from the bottom of the dash into the tapped controller. There are like a couple "tabs" on the upper part of the controller that kinda center and help keep it positioned in the dash cutout.

The 2 original screws are a machine thread with a large "pan type" phillips head. They thread into the bottom of the controller. When I put my used controller in, one side was stripped and I couldn't use the original screw. So, I just went with 2 new stainless steel machine screws and nylon lock nuts. I used either #8 or #10 for the screws, and just enough thread lenght to pass through the dash and controller and get the lock nut on. It was a little tight getting the wrench to the nuts behind the dash. But in the end, the nuts and screws worked great.

If your new controller isn't tapped, I would go with the screws/bolts and nuts.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
MikeyMan

I didn't know that bracket could be seperate.

When I bought my used controller, the bracket was attatched.

Duane may not have the bracket with his new controller.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmadmanmill View Post
I have a 70' in which i completly customized the dash, so i should (in theory) have all the old heater/AC control components... I will take a look tmrw and see what i can find and get back to you. If i have anything you need you can have it no charge...

here is a pick of my old dash... is it the same as yours?
Yes it's the same as mine. I have the actual controller, but no brackets or screws. If you have them, I'd love to have them and I'll at least pay the shipping for it. Thanks for the offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
... There should be a bracket attached to the controller so 2 bolts can be fastened from the bottom of dash to it...
That's exactly the information I was looking for, Thanks! Now if I could just find some. How many brackets are needed, one or two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMan View Post

You are correct. I don't have the bracket. Honestly, all I have is the dash and the actual controller
Attached Images

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 02-10-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added image
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Yes it's the same as mine. I have the actual controller, but no brackets or screws. If you have them, I'd love to have them and I'll at least pay the shipping for it. Thanks for the offer!

That's exactly the information I was looking for, Thanks! Now if I could just find some. How many brackets are needed, one or two?

You are correct. I don't have the bracket. Honestly, all I have is the dash and the actual controller
You may be better off checking eBay, the parts board, or the junk yard for the part that has the bracket and all the cables you will need. I bought the entire thing, with cables for like $10 at the junk yard, and it works great. You might be able to sell what you've got to someone who needs just that part
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
MikeyMan

Quote:

OK, I didn't have a bracket and you don't need one for yours. That bracket is for the A/C controller only. The A/C controller doesn't have provisions for the 2 dash mounting screws, so that bracket attatches to the controller to give the two threadded mount points.

The controller I swapped, and the new one Duane has is for the Non-A/C. There is no seperate bracket. It just mounts with 2 screws from the bottom of the dash into the threadded body of the controller.
Duane, since your brand new controller is not tapped, I would just use 2 machine screws or bolts and nuts. I did stainless phillips pan head screws, washer, and nylon lock nut behind the dash. Looks clean with stainless on the underside of the dash. I believe the original pan head machine screws were black, or painted with the dash.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
knomadd

This is all I have, including the dash (obviously).

I plan on converting to Vintage Air so anything other than mounting the controller to the dash may not be necessary. That's really my only concern right now anyway.

I'm just trying to find out if I should tap the mounting holes, or if there are in fact bracket(s) that hold it in place.
Attached Images

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
MikeyMan

Duane, that brand new piece looks great! How much did that set you back?

You need the 3 cables, 3 clips and 3 screws. Then you need 3 "pushnuts" that hold the cable loop end to the levers. My pushnuts or retainer clips kinda got trashed upon removal, so I took the controller to the local hardware store and sized up new ones. Tip, they're cheap so grab a spare or two in case you lose or break one. You also need the socket and bulb that illuminates when the headlights are on. Maybe that's hanging under the dash (grey wire).
Hopefully, you have the original plug and wiring for the blower motor. If so, just plug in and test your switch (middle lever).
Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
knomadd

Quote:
OK, I didn't have a bracket and you don't need one for yours. That bracket is for the A/C controller only. The A/C controller doesn't have provisions for the 2 dash mounting screws, so that bracket attatches to the controller to give the two threadded mount points.

The controller I swapped, and the new one Duane has is for the Non-A/C. There is no seperate bracket. It just mounts with 2 screws from the bottom of the dash into the threadded body of the controller.
Duane, since your brand new controller is not tapped, I would just use 2 machine screws or bolts and nuts. I did stainless phillips pan head screws, washer, and nylon lock nut behind the dash. Looks clean with stainless on the underside of the dash. I believe the original pan head machine screws were black, or painted with the dash.
Good to know. Thanks Mikey!

Quote:
Duane, that brand new piece looks great! How much did that set you back?
Bought it from Early Classic Enterprise, all brand new (maybe refurbished)... $95 plus shipping. Figured it was worth it to me so I didn't have to worry about chrome quality or replating a used one.

Quote:
You need the 3 cables, 3 clips and 3 screws. Then you need 3 "pushnuts" that hold the cable loop end to the levers. My pushnuts or retainer clips kinda got trashed upon removal, so I took the controller to the local hardware store and sized up new ones. Tip, they're cheap so grab a spare or two in case you lose or break one. You also need the socket and bulb that illuminates when the headlights are on. Maybe that's hanging under the dash (grey wire).
Hopefully, you have the original plug and wiring for the blower motor. If so, just plug in and test your switch (middle lever).
Thanks for the tip, but I don't have any of the factory heater stuff. It was all removed by the PO. I'll be installing a Vintage Air unit (probably next year) so it won't be using any of the factory cables. As for the light, I'm in the middle of rewiring the truck, so I've already made that connection. Just needs to be installed.

Thanks again everyone for your help. This just proves how great the people on this forum are. I hope I can be of help to you in the future.

C/10 Club Texas member