The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Custom gauge cluster build thread.

I thought I'd document that it's not all that hard to build a cool gauge cluster (in my eyes) on the cheap. This all started because I wasn't real happy with the limited options out there for an aftermarket gauge bezel for out trucks. Also couldn't believe how expensive They were. I didn't want to just install aftermarket gauges into the stock bezel either because that has been done so many times before. I wanted them arranged the way I thought was cool and not what the manufacturer thought was. Also didn't want aluminum or a carbon fiber look since that wouldn't match my current decore. Might add that I didn't want any controls on the bezel like lights, wipers......etc.

Here is where it all begins. This is a chunk of 1/4" ABS plastic that has a killer wrinkle type texture to it. It's almost like bedliner.

Untitled by agentjdub, on Flickr
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Custom gauge cluster build thread.

First thing I did before I sold my original tach dash to a fellow board member is I carefully outlined the shape of the bezel. What you are looking at here is a cardboard opical illusion. The shape looks square but it is the original shape. Picture just took weird.

The next pic is me checking to see if it was the correct height, width and overall shape. I made a couple of very minor adjustments.

Since the lights/wiper switches along with the choke provision on the other side had a raised section of metal which prevented the template from sitting flush, I simply cut those out.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
TonyJohnson

Can't wait to see it progress. Should be pretty cool.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Next was trying to decide on just how I wanted the gauges to be laid out. After moving and moving and moving, this is the basic design I decided I liked the best. It leaves the bottom with enough room to get 2 aircraft style toggle switches on each side of the steering column. The switch will not be as far over as what you see in the pic. Closer to the column and up a little more.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Custom gauge cluster build thread.

So where is the head lights and wiper switches going?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
1970 Bowtie
It's all in the timing

subscribed.
1970 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
So where is the head lights and wiper switches going?

This is a prostreet truck my friend. It hasn't had wipers for about 5 years since it NEVER sees the rain. The headlights will be controlled by one of the 4 toggles. The remaining 3 will be electric pump, fan and ignition.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

It's funny how sometimes the simpliest concepts will just come to you at the right time. My one big concern was how am I going to get 6 separate pieces to be correctly lined out on this big space so it looks right and evenly spaced. When I did my Camaro dash, the gauges were all in a line so it was pretty easy. Then it came to me. If I just get one side to be exactly how I want it, I will simply fold the template in half and cut the pieces out at the same time. This way, when I open the template up, the left side will be a mirror image of the right. I also later realized that I had to make a couple more minor adjustments to my spacing since the overall width of a gauges with the bezels would be larger than just the holes needed to mount the gauges. For this reason I spaced the gagues out a tad more so the bezels wouldn't be so close together on the finished product. I also had to take into account the boot that is on the column that slides down over the bottom part of the template. I needed to space the speedo and tach evenly between the top and boot so it would look right.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I carefully folded the template in half and then stapled it to my wooden stool so it would not move as I cut the holes out. I used a new box cutting knife. You'll notice where I made a slight adjustment to the larger gauge.

I removed the staples and opened up the template, I had a pattern for the gauge holes that was perfectly symmetrical!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
TonyJohnson

I like the idea a lot. For someone on a budget, they could start with fewer/cheap gauges and then add/upgrade as desired. Just mark the holes on the back and only cut out the ones you need, as you need them. Same with the toggles. Design with multiple toggles spec'd and then add as needed.

An idea that's popped up recently is to tilt the cover or the gauges upward to help with line of sight. Here the design would have to be right or it would look funky.

Yours is coming along nicely. Keep it coming!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
lousblown55chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJohnson View Post
I like the idea a lot. For someone on a budget, they could start with fewer/cheap gauges and then add/upgrade as desired. Just mark the holes on the back and only cut out the ones you need, as you need them. Same with the toggles. Design with multiple toggles spec'd and then add as needed.

An idea that's popped up recently is to tilt the cover or the gauges upward to help with line of sight. Here the design would have to be right or it would look funky.

Yours is coming along nicely. Keep it coming!
If you want to angle the gauges check out Eddie Marine they make spacers in different sizes and colors but they are expensive
lousblown55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousblown55chevy View Post
If you want to angle the gauges check out Eddie Marine they make spacers in different sizes and colors but they are expensive
Man, Eddie's got a great catalog. It's a little hard to tell, but those angle bezels look great... Didn't check the price.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

If you look at the earlier pic of the inside of the truck you will see the small gauge pod down at the bottom of the dash. Can't get much harder than that to see. This is why I went with the big 5" speedo and tach. I agree that having them tilted up COULD look cool if done correctly. One thing is for sure.....if that was not done perfectly, it would wind-up looking like A$$.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
TonyJohnson

Yeah. My stock setup is dim at night and really hard to see the bottom, inside gauges. I'm ready for something better, but have WAY too many projects now...
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I had previously cut out the rough shape of the bezel. I was actually surprised at the jigsaw bit and speed I would have to use to get it done right since I am working with 1/4" plastic. I started with a very fine bit and tried both fast and slow speeds. All that did was burn/melt the plastic in both cases. To my surprise, I wound-up using a very coarse blade at a slow speed. It was actually more like "shaving" the plastic away as apposed to cutting. Worked awesome.

Though my cuts were pretty straight, I found that using a drywall sanding board provided a hard, flat surface for me to get the edges perfectly flat and straight.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

It was easy getting the smaller 2 5/8th gauge holes cut out because I have a hole saw that same size. The bigger ones were a little bit harder....or maybe just more time consuming. I taped the template onto the cutout piece and took a scribe to go around the edges of the opens, After drilling the small ones, I drilled a pilot hole and cut out the largers ones just a tad small. After that, I basically hand shaped the hole to perfectly fit the bigger gauges so they were snug with no play. A quick test fit confirms that I nailed it. It's just resting on the column. The final fit will have it mounted higher up next to the dash pad!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

A test fit of the gauges shows it turned out EXACTLY how I wanted it to. This is all the farther I am at this point.

IMG_0806 by agentjdub, on Flickr
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
TonyJohnson

Fuel gauge?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
72mistressc10

Just a thought, what gauges are you going to be running on your triple gauge you have already mounted? Or are you doing away with that?

God Said,"Owning A 10 Second Import Is Like Coming Out Of The Closet, In The End Ur Still Gay"

........................__
..........._______ |__\__
..........|__(O)______(O)]
72mistressc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I'm leaving well enough along on the gauge angle. I can see them just fine. I've got a motor coming back to me fairly soon and need to knock out as many things as I can in the mean time. Don't want to complicate. ;o)

The gauge pod you see in the earlier pics are the gauges you see in the final product. I am removing the pod. Part of this was to clean up the cab a bit and to get the gauges from the bottom of the dash. I will also be completing the radio delete and will be deleting the heater controls as well. Keep in mind that this is a pro-street truck and the theme is a race truck on the street. Even kicking around doing a basic cage.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
TonyJohnson

Didn't see a fuel gauge?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Custom gauge cluster build thread.

Well this can make cutting plastic and such much easier and faster.
I have used mine often and with a little practice you can have holes done in no time. I use it to cut out head lights and tail lights for golf cart bodies and it is great.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Well this can make cutting plastic and such much easier and faster.
I have used mine often and with a little practice you can have holes done in no time. I use it to cut out head lights and tail lights for golf cart bodies and it is great.

That's funny because I have the same thing. I have a Dremmel with the router attachment. Problem I was having with the 1/4" thick plastic was the melting effect. It was working but way too slow. I found I had a lot more control with the jigsaw than I did with the router. I think on a much thinner panel like what you are talking about, they would be the shiz nitt!!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Nope.......running a racing cell and there will be no gauge. This truck makes 10 mile trips at a time. I just keep an eye on the fuel level in the cell. ;o)
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #25
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

One thing I failed to mention was that I am going to be going back over the edge of the bezel with a router attachment. I don't want it to be block square. I want just a gradual bevel or taper to it like the original ones had. I will also be securing it to the dash with stainless button head screws. I'm thinking I may have to build a brace between the big gauges just to control flex a little. It's pretty sturdy but I don't want flex or vibration when I'm going down the road. I'm guess that 600+ hp might shake things a little. lol